Pilates

Options
Is Pilates good for toning up a body after losing a lot of weight? Or is weight lifting better?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For changing body composition, hitting the weight room is the most efficient and effective. Pilates is a form of resistance training...but it really just depends on what your goals are.

https://www.puregym.com/blog/pilates-vs-weight-training-which-is-best/
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just read your other thread and agree with what has already been said there, strength training I'd likely to be more beneficial to you at this stage. By all means try pilates and see if you enjoy it - I personally do and find it to be a really enjoyable form of exercise but it's not really designed for body recomposition.
  • Brigit_1
    Brigit_1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It depends what kind of body you want to achieve. Pilates (using the reformer) was originally designed to help dancers with their physique.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I've also read your other thread. You asked a number of questions there about how fast you'd get results with strength training. While we can't answer that, as said above, "hitting the weight room is the most efficient and effective."

Also more effective is getting a trainer at a gym rather than trying to DIY.

Tell the trainer you want to "recomp" - if you frame your goal as "toning" you might end up with high reps with pink baby dumbbells :lol: