Post workout depression.

Options
Who ever said exercise gives you happy hormones, endorfins. I get severely depressed after building up a sweat. So much so it puts me off going again, I'd lie here on sofa with a body that feels like cement and in such a low mood. Whatever energy boost I had to complete a visit to the gym, motivation wise, is crushed by then needing comfort food and rest for a few days. Which in turn leads to pre workout gloom, that Ive not lost any weight. I duno I don't think I'm doing too well at the moment. So tired all the time. Just back from gym, I didn't even over do it. 25 minutes on treadmill at 10 slope3.5-4.5kmph really the main thing. And now I can't move. I'm so unfit. But doesn't help exercising depresses me. I really don't want to go these days. I don't care for being the fittest or thinest. I just wish I wasn't sore all over all day, so I try to do this to make me more flexible, I feel so stiff. I also for reference have just 9 months ago gave up cigarettes 25 a day for 17 years and since then gained 3 stone, physically recently pcos,7 years hyperprolactinema, osteopenia and mentally schizoaffective disorder, depression and am 13 stone 8 5"4 and 32yo (standard muscular frame) I'm not in a good way anyway. Just wondering if post workout depression is a thing or is it just me. And how could I counteract this mood change post workout. Enough to make it more than once a week. I'd like to go four times a week. Seems daunting.sorry for long post.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Blooming heck, you have a lot on your plate and exercise has no need to be an all out endevour.
    Take a step back and concentrate on getting your deficit at a level that you can work with. Half a pound a week is fine if that keeps you satisfied especially at the beginning when trying to improve nutrition.

For your exercise, no need to do 10 slope 3.5-4.5kmph if that stresses you, go for flat and a gentle 2.5-3 mph for 10-15 min every other day and build from there. Do what leaves you as though you have moved, but not moved too much. Sooner than you think 30 min a day at a faster pace and incline may be possible. I think your in the UK and if so it may not be the best weather for getting out for a walk but try that when you can, even strolling around shops will help.

I have never had a big endorphin response to exercise, but do it anyway. I started easy and slow gradually building up to doing an hour plus a day. Few people go from 0-60 overnight so don't expect yourself to, go at your own pace.

Cheers, h.
  • mazzeryamaryliss
    mazzeryamaryliss Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Blooming heck, you have a lot on your plate and exercise has no need to be an all out endevour.
    Take a step back and concentrate on getting your deficit at a level that you can work with. Half a pound a week is fine if that keeps you satisfied especially at the beginning when trying to improve nutrition.

For your exercise, no need to do 10 slope 3.5-4.5kmph if that stresses you, go for flat and a gentle 2.5-3 mph for 10-15 min every other day and build from there. Do what leaves you as though you have moved, but not moved too much. Sooner than you think 30 min a day at a faster pace and incline may be possible. I think your in the UK and if so it may not be the best weather for getting out for a walk but try that when you can, even strolling around shops will help.

I have never had a big endorphin response to exercise, but do it anyway. I started easy and slow gradually building up to doing an hour plus a day. Few people go from 0-60 overnight so don't expect yourself to, go at your own pace.

Cheers, h.

Thanks, yeah I think slow and steady will help. If I can make the effort to just turn up. Even if it's just for 15 minutes, it's better than nothing. 👍
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    honestly when I started my goal was getting out walking to the gym some days. Once I was there i thought well since I'm here I may as well go in and do something. If you find walking all the time boring or stressful try the bikes (not the spin bikes) or the rowing machine. You may find you like something else better than the treadmill. Aquafit was what worked for me long term.

Cheers, h.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I think that you need to think about changing your exercise. There are so many different things to do. Look around. Try the pool, yoga, cycling, zumba, dance, walking (even in the rain--get the right gear) and up your pace slowly every week or month, horseback riding, Tai Chi,.........

You can't stick with exercise that you hate. It should be enjoyable because you need to make it a habit. There are also programs and videos to do at home. Good luck. Please don't give up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    I agree with middlehaitch: What you describe sounds like your current workouts are too intense for your current fitness level. In other words, I think you're overdoing.

A mild challenge is good, but it should be manageable, should feel energizing for the rest of your day. There might be a few minutes of "whew" ca feeling right after the workout, but past that it shouldn't leave you feeling dragged out or exhausted. That kind of overdoing isn't the best way to build fitness or contribute to weight loss.

I think if you keep your workouts more moderate, they can be more tolerable, ideally even enjoyable.

Best wishes!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

Thanks, yeah I think slow and steady will help. If I can make the effort to just turn up. Even if it's just for 15 minutes, it's better than nothing. 👍

Glad to hear you are going to back off! I agree with the other that 25 minutes on treadmill at 10 slope3.5-4.5kph is too much for you at this time.

I feel similar to what you mentioned after I snow shoe. I can't do it often because the weather doesn't cooperate - last year I couldn't go at all - so I am likely to overdo it when I can do it. But the treadmill is always there for you so you can build up slowly :smiley:

Hopefully all it is is overdoing. If not, come back in a month and we'll continue to troubleshoot.