Not so new

Options
Hi, I've been using mfp off and on for more years than I can recall. The takeaway from that first sentence is "off and on" because that's also how my eating habits, exercise habits and in general my healthy-life related actions have been as well. So here I am, end of 2023, coming into 2024. What is it about a new year that creates this overwhelming urge in so many people to go dashing off to the gym, clean out the pantry, read a self-help book, or (insert whatever positive change you want to make in your life here)? It certainly isn't the date as different cultures celebrate in different ways on different days. I digress. What's different this time? I am not 100% sure. I'd like to say some magical thing happened or the resounding voice of God rolled through the very most secret places of my Soul and gave me some life affirming message that I am going to be successful this time but that is certainly not the case. Far from it. I feel afraid, not at all confident. This social component, this part of the app, the community, making friends, sharing stories, whatever TF you all do, I want to try that this time. So, in the spirit of hopefulness, Im going to give this a go. If you have read this much of my ramblings and you to are wanting a better life in 2024 feel free to do whatever it is people do here (add me, message me, I'm not sure how this works. ha!) Look forward to meeting you!

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after several (or many) tries, something just clicks and it all falls into place. Reading the boards will give you great information. If you haven't yet, read the stickie posts that are a collection of user threads that were voted most helpful or inspirational.

Then, get that daily calorie goal that MFP will figure for you. Buy a digital food scale and start weighing your food. People are often surprised at how many calories are in their favorite foods and drinks. Try to stay within that goal everyday. The idea is to learn portion sizes for you and your needs. If you exercise, log it in and MFP will give you more calories for that day.

Then, I'd advise taking your measurements and keeping a weekly journal. It's nice to see the progress on that tape measure when you're down about your weight loss. Another idea is to read the "Success" threads. They are often an inspiration when you need it.

What will make you successful in weight loss is building new habits. Know your portion, and exercise because it's a habit and you can't do without. When you get there you'll know and the changes will last.

Good luck.