exercises for apartment living?

Options
i live in an upstairs apartment so i have fewer options on videos and exercises that dont involve a lot of jumping around and such.... DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS OR IDEAS FOR VIDEOS TO PURCHASE OR SPECIFICE EXERCISES THAT WONT 'PISS OFF' MY DOWNSTAIRS NEIGHBOR???? HELP!
i recently just got engaged and i made a commitment to myself that i would lose the weight ive gained since we've been together. i need to lose about 45lbs before i walk down that aisle. ANY TIPS?

Replies

• CDONNELLY924
    Options
    i live in an upstairs apartment so i have fewer options on videos and exercises that dont involve a lot of jumping around and such.... DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS OR IDEAS FOR VIDEOS TO PURCHASE OR SPECIFICE EXERCISES THAT WONT 'PISS OFF' MY DOWNSTAIRS NEIGHBOR???? HELP!
    i recently just got engaged and i made a commitment to myself that i would lose the weight ive gained since we've been together. i need to lose about 45lbs before i walk down that aisle. ANY TIPS?
  • lor040988
    Options
    situps, are always useful and stuff like may be line dancing video's x
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of yoga, but I have the same problem as you. I either work out when I know they aren't home, or I do something like yoga or less high intensity versions of the workouts on some of the other videos I have. Yoga videos don't have any jumping around. Other than that, the gym is the only other thing I can really think of.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Are you friendly with your downstairs neighbors? Maybe you could ask them when they're not home. Is that weird? I guess it depends on how friendly you are with them.

Also, I used to belong to the YMCA. It wasn't terrifically expensive, and they had excellent equipment and facilities as well as group classes. Also, I lived in my last apartment building for a year before I discovered there was a fitness room in the building. (just something else to check)

Otherwise, walking is great and you can do it just about anywhere, and it's free. There are lots of no impact toning-type things you could do in your place, but for cardio, it all seems pretty noisy. Pilates and yoga, as well as some strength training or stability ball might be good things to try.

And believe me, I feel you. I'm lucky to live above a store, so I know when they're "home" and when they're not.:flowerforyou:
  • aphall01
    Options
    If you invest in a stability ball, you can do an entire cardio and weight training workout with it. I teach a class called "Have a Ball" so if you'd like any ideas for exercises, just let me know.

I also do a few things while watching TV or in the shower....it's just hard to remember sometimes to do them.

- In the shower, I'll do SLOW, controlled rotary twists and side bends. 15 each on each side, Right and Left
    - While blow drying my hair, I'll stand in a squat with my hips turned out to a forty-five degree. my knees are in alignment with my toes, and you hold your abs in tight. You can also do squats while brushing your teeth or lunges.
    - Calf raises in the shower, just be careful about slipping- use a rail or the wall to keep yourself steady

Yoga and Pilates are both great workouts. I'm partial to yoga because I teach it, but some don't care too much for it, so a good mix would be Pi-yo or Yogilates which is a mix of both of the two, and I'm sure you can find videos/DVD's for both.

Hope this helps!

Lexie
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    i used to live in a apartment... it is so hard to exercise indoors.. i feel your pain
    i bought denise austin's "female fat zone" it works really well... no jumping
  • CDONNELLY924
    Options
    response to aphall...
    i do actually have 2 balls that i got from my last job working next to a physical therapist. since then theyve been in my closet (out of site out of mind ya know) , but i have heard that there are lots to do with that...does it really help? i would love to get more info on what i can do with that. especially with cardio. i use to go to the gym almost everday after work about 3-4 yrs ago and was in great shape. but they my fiance came into the picture and i pretty much made my time all about him. so i got out of the habbit and gained a total of 60lbs. i have been walking on my breaks at work and doing a few strengthining exercises at home (since those arent noisy), but i really need to work my heart more too. lately with the weather i cant walk, so i need indoor stuff. I WOULD BE SO GREATFUL FOR MORE INFO...THANK YOU!