Options
2»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

There are a few women here who need higher baseline of calories. Ann is one. @springlering62 do you think you are an unusually efficient calorie burner like Ann or you lost weight faster than expected and had to increase your calories several times because you became super active?

For the record, I don’t have PCOS, one of my daughters does, though.

At one time early in MFP, I calculated the calories I was eating on a normal, pre-MFP day. They were in the 10-12,000 calorie range and that’s not an exaggeration. In a single day I’d have donuts, family sized bag of chips or Doritos, bags(yep, plural, and family sized) of M&Ms or Cadburys, an entire package or two of Little Debbie’s or Geneva Cookies, and a pie or most of a container of Breyers, plus umpteen cokes and a large fast food lunch and whatever I made for dinner. I should have been morbidly obese, but the biggest I ever got was 225, and I am very very grateful for that.

I think it’s a combination of a lot of NEAT activity, and increased exercise. Even when obese, I always had a lot of nervous energy to burn. I walk fast, always play with my rings, wave my hands a lot, and rock from foot to foot.

But I also became extremely active with weight loss. Even when “resting” like the past few days for a minor injury, I still shoot for high calorie burn, just via more “relaxed” workouts like recumbent bike, aquafit, Pilates, walking, etc. rather than cardio, gym, power yoga.

I just like being in motion. Even when sitting, I’m doing needlework, unless I’m faffing around on MFP, of course. 👍🏻

Don’t know what that has to do with PCOS but there ya go. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Interesting about the dark body hair and hyperpigmentation. That’s me. I shaved every inch of my body below the neck after being teased about it in third grade. Mom was horrified. That was the days of bladed razors and the tub looked like a crime scene. 😂

Side note- I’ve seen you describe your diet previously, and both times I’ve been shocked… for two reasons: How the heck did you NOT get sick? And also, how much did you spend a month! It sounds expensive. I joke, but you’re an inspiration, and I always enjoy when you post.

I would stop at the store on my way to work on the pretense of picking up “breakfast”, but really to buy two or three grocery bags of junk to get me through the day.

I’ve always balanced the checkbook. My husband didn’t have a clue. I was very careful not to leave wrappers, or other evidence in my car.

My wonderful husband encouraged me to walk away from the super stressful family business that started me on the path to stress-gluttony. I am at a complete loss why I wasn’t several hundred pounds heavier by the time I did.

IMHO, there’s a fair case to be made that stress burns calories as well as creating them. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The $15 or $20 a day I spent surreptitiously on the side now goes on bulk purchases of Nugo bars, canisters of Naked products, balsamic vinegars, the Belgian meringues I’m addicted to, etc etc. I innocently thought eating “better” would be cheaper, especially since I eat less. Nope. Not cheaper, just differenter.

I now return this channel to PCOS.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I also looked at diets for my friend that had PCOS. It was pretty easy to see that most sources basically came down to reducing ultra processed foods like refined carbs and sugar which makes sense considering it's insulin that interferes with the hormones of the adrenal glands that then pump out androgens which is basically the pathology of PCOS, which is common sense really.

Of course any diet is only good if it can be adhered to so it's important to put priorities in an order that works for the individual and in saying that, there is no one diet that could be considered the best diet, even though the Ketogenic diet shows the best results but is difficult to adhere to, as an example of what I'm saying.

The basic algorithm is showing diets like the Mediterranean diet, low GI diet, Dash diet, pulse based diet, low carb diet, and the ketogenic diet. all of these remove UPF. For some reason the vegetarian diet had mixed reviews and suspect that that diet can still be high in refined carbs, sugar and UPF, so I suspect that's why I didn't see much.

Not to mention weight losses and exercise and the effects on insulin levels and storage protocols which does improve our insulin sensitivity, which basically facilitates the same metabolic result as reducing UPF, basically.

I have exhaustive notes on this but just thought I'd just get this out there for people that might find it helpful. :)