How much sugar?

Options
How much sugar a day to you normally take in? I noticed my carrots have sugar and of course my fruit and my dried fruit/nuts also contain the bulk of my sugar so Im getting kind of alot. Does sugar turn into fat or what? Any advice/info on the subject is appreciated :-) Rude people or know it alls not welcome Thanks all..

Replies

• Laura32412
    Options
    I wish I could help. I've been watching my sugar intake as well but wasn't counting the natural sugars in fruits and veggies.
  • xinahay123
    Options
    excess calories turn to fat, period, it doesn't matter the source. Sugar is problematic because high blood sugar levels are bad for lots of your bodies systems, tend to cause a rush of insulin (which then makes you hungry), makes you retain water and generally doesn't give you good energy. Sugars from whole fruits and veges are better than others because they are balanced with fiber and nutrients. Be careful with the dried stuff, the sugar is concentrated, making it pack a powerful caloric punch.

I hope that helps a bit.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    How much sugar a day to you normally take in? I noticed my carrots have sugar and of course my fruit and my dried fruit/nuts also contain the bulk of my sugar so Im getting kind of alot. Does sugar turn into fat or what? Any advice/info on the subject is appreciated :-) Rude people or know it alls not welcome Thanks all..

Evans--The short answer is yes. Unless you can use the glucose immediately or store it as glycogen in your muscles, the hormone insulin turns that excess sugar into fat as a way to quickly control blood glucose levels in the body. Of course, the extent to which this happens varies by individual.
  • Gennawest
    Options

I never count fruit/ veggie sugar. Just the unnatural junk (that I love).

My fav part of this post was the last part. Girl, this site is full of rude people. Sad to say. They will tear you up if you let them. Maybe they have just left a bad taste in my mouth. There are some goodies though- more than some. However, the bad are real bad.

Best of luck on your journey.
  • Gennawest
    Options
    One more thing, I got carried away with your wonderful comment about rude people.

I love dried fruit, but i found out the hard way that it is not healthy. I bought a bag of it at Costco, and couldnt stop eating it. I thought it was good. Just dried fruit right? Wrong. When I read up on it, it actually had a ton of added sugar. Making healthy fruit, not healthy at all. I would have rather had a snickers. Bummer.
  • evansproudmama
    Options

I never count fruit/ veggie sugar. Just the unnatural junk (that I love).

My fav part of this post was the last part. Girl, this site is full of rude people. Sad to say. They will tear you up if you let them. Maybe they have just left a bad taste in my mouth. There are some goodies though- more than some. However, the bad are real bad.

Best of luck on your journey.

haha I know I hate how some act so high and mighty and than you see their pages and they arent all that! Im sorry but if you know it all so well why arent you as fit as my trainer lol anywayz I dont normally eat dried fruit but I was low on snacks today and my co worker gave me a back of trail mix from costco and it has dry fruit in it except it has 26 sugars! Thats normally what I have in one day so I was trying to decide if its better to go with a snack that has less sugar but has less protein and fiber or one that has more sugar but more protein and fiber. Im always within my calorie goal
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I go over on my MFP sugar allowance daily. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies...so far it hasn't hurt my ablitiy to lose weight.
  • littlemount
    Options
    I tend to consume too much sugar so I looked up an answer for your query.
    According to Jorge Cruise Belly Fat cure he recommends 15 grams of sugar i.e 4 tsp sugar.Yesterday I had 80 gms of sugar way too much.