?Crazy Question?

Options
This may sound insane.....

I swear some of my exercise clothes don't seem to smell clean after they are washed. (mostly my bras).

It is possible for SMELLS to "stain" clothing???

Replies

• VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Some smells are pretty tough to get out. Try adding a little baking soda to your wash.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    yes. it's like the dirty dish rag smell that never goes away in the wash either. A friend told me to try soaking in Borax before washing.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I use the sport active tide with febreeze

♥ it!
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I switched to Tide sport with febreeze
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I recently started using (I can't remember the official name) but it's Tide for sports wear or something like that. Works wonderfully, even on my smelly running shoes!
  • jendra11339
    Options
    My dad has the same problem with his workout clothing; mainly the clothing that wicks away moisture and dries quickly.
    Washing in cold water with Tide Sport and adding a dryer sheet seems to help.
  • xinahay123
    Options
    I also use sport active tide with febreeze. I also find that cotton, will tend to get that way faster than, performance type materials.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Works wonderfully, even on my smelly running shoes!

Do you toss your shoes in the machine? And they don't get all warped? I've never tried
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Sure, haven't you worked out by the guy at the gym who HASN'T figured out how to remove the smell!? It's just bacteria. Couple things that can help are the baking soda trick...if it's terrible, even use a paste of baking soda and 'soak' it into the garment. Also, there are quite a few great products you can get at the outdoors store we hunters use for odor elimination. Most are enzyme based, so they break down that bacteria very well.

I'ver never heard of this "Sport" detergent. Does it work well?
  • Happyhappy352
    Options
    Add a 1/4 cup of vinegar to your wash. It works for me and it gets grezzy restaurant smell out of my husband’s cloths.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have added vinegar to the wash to help un-smellify some of mine and my husband's clothes (and have also used it to get the 4th of July firework sulfur smell out). What works best for me is to run some warm water in the sink and add about a cup of vinegar and let it soak for a couple hours then rinse in the sink and wash like normal. I also like to throw about a cup of vinegar in the wash when I wash my gym clothes and it seems to help.
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    THANK GOODNESS!!!

I was really thinking I may be going crazy!!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My wife has the same complaint about some of my workout clothes.

I do not notice so much but she swears that some of my shirts stink while others do not?

I am not a fan of bleach unless absolutely necessary so I throw one of those perfumed sheets in the dry with my clothes from time to time. I do not think it accomplishes much but I am hearing less complaining from my wife.
  • laurad1406
    Options

♥ it!

This!
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Looks like I need to purchase new under garments AND invest in some TIDE!!

THANKS!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

♥ it!

This... I accidently stopped using it because it was the only detergent available, and my clothes started smelling again. I am switching back to Tide Active this weekend because I can't stand it. This is really true with my nike sport shorts (essentially under armor)