What are tasty snacks that are low cost?

Options
I want to start making more things from home & have a very sensitive stomach & an even more sensitive budget lol what are some tasty but healthy recipes to try out? I really enjoy things with honey flavors & dark chocolate.

Answers

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

SERVINGS: 4

1.33 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thick strips
    1/4 cup cilantro, packed
    4 tbsp lime juice
    2 garlic cloves
    2 tsp honey
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp red pepper lakes
    2 tsp olive oil
    2 tbsp plain nonfat yogurt

1 MARINADE
    Add the cilantro, lime juice, garlic, honey, salt, cumin, red pepper flakes, olive oil, and yogurt to a food processor. Pulse until a marinade/sauce is formed.

Honey, lime juice, yogurt, olive oil, cilantro, and red pepper flakes in a food processor.

2 Marinate the chicken in half of the mixture overnight, ideally for around 24 hours. Save the remaining sauce for dipping/drizzling. Chicken marinating in a honey and lime marinade.

3 When ready to cook, remove the chicken and let excess marinade drip off. Using a grill or grill pan, preheat the grill and cook the chicken for about 4-5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
    Chicken breast being grilled with grill marks.

Let the chicken rest before cutting. After your chicken has finished grilling, take it off the grill and let it rest on a plate for about 5 minutes to reabsorb the juices and prevent drying out.

4 Serve with the remaining sauce.

TIPS:
    Cut chicken before marinading.
    Grill chicken. Don't have a grill? If you aren’t able to grill this chicken (or just want to change things up a little), you can cook it in several other ways for an always amazing dish! Try baking it in the marinade in a 400-degree oven for about 25 minutes or cook it in a skillet for about 5-7 minutes on each side.
  • loulee997
    Options

DARK CHOCOLATE FONDUE

4 Servings 143 Calories

Ingredients
    • 8 oz bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped
    • ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
    • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
    • A pinch of kosher salt

Directions

1 Place chocolate and almond milk in the top of a double boiler. Place over medium heat and stir frequently until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.

2 Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, maple syrup, and salt. Serve immediately with fresh fruit.

SERVING SIZE: About 2 tbsp fondue

CALORIES: 143
    TOTAL FAT 10g
    SATURATED FAT 6.6g
    PROTEIN 2g
    CARBOHYDRATES 17g
    FIBER 1.9g
    SUGAR 11g
    ADDED SUGAR 11g
    SODIUM 21mg
  • loulee997
    Options
    Nonfat Greek Yogurt with Honey

Greek yogurt is known for its extra-creamy texture and high protein content.
    Just 1/2 cup of nonfat plain Greek yogurt has 12 g of protein to help you stay full.
    Drizzle on a teaspoon of honey, and the whole snack totals 84 calories.

The best part is, you may feel like you're eating dessert.

84 Calories
    Saturated fat: 0 g
    Sodium: 53.5 mg
    Cholesterol: 0 mg

• loulee997
    Options
    Frozen Yogurt Sandwich

Nonfat frozen yogurt is a healthy alternative to ice cream, and it's easy to find varieties with no added sugar. Try making a "FroYo" sandwich by spreading two tablespoons of nonfat frozen yogurt between two graham cracker squares. Even with dark chocolate frozen yogurt, you're only looking at 84 calories.

84 Calories
    Saturated Fat: 0.13 g
    Sodium: 104 mg
    Cholesterol: 1 mg
  • loulee997
    Options
    1/2 Cup Slow-Churned Ice Cream

Surprise! Ice cream tops our list of low-calorie snacks. The key is to look for slow-churned or double-churned varieties. This refers to a process that reduces fat and calories while retaining the creamy texture of full-fat varieties, so 1/2 cup has just 100 calories.

100 Calories
    Saturated Fat: 2 g
    Sodium: 45 mg
    Cholesterol: 20 mg
    Carbs: 15 g
  • loulee997
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Slow Cooker Potato Soup

1 1/2 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    3 celery stalks, sliced
    3 carrots, chopped
    1 large leek, white and light green parts only, halved and thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 sprigs thyme
    6 c. vegetable stock

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

OPTIONAL:
    1 (5-ounce) package baby spinach
    1/4 c. fresh chopped herbs, such as parsley, dill, tarragon, or basil
    2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Step 1
    • Combine potatoes, celery, carrots, leek, garlic, thyme, and stock in the bowl of a 5 to 7 quart slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
    • Cook until vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 hours on high and 4 to 6 hours on low.
    • Stir in spinach, herbs, and lemon juice.
    • Season with salt and pepper again once you taste after cooking.
      [/list}

TIPS
      • Don't have a leek? Leave it out or replace it with diced onion.
      • With a soup, you can leave out ingredients you don't have.
      • If you have the potatoes, carrots, and chicken stock--you could just season with black pepper and salt.
      • Don't have garlic cloves? Use garlic powder.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest honey and yogurt but @loulee1987 beat me to it.

There’s a reason they talk about “the land of milk and honey”. What a combination!

And there’s different qualities of honey. A seller at our local farmers market sells and “award winning” sourwood honey that is simply otherworldly. Who awards honey, though, I don’t have the faintest notion.

It’s also really easy to make popsicles if you have an inexpensive mold. I can make a terrific one of yogurt and frozen berries if any kind for just a few cents each. I blend them in the ninja and pour in.

If you need sweeteners, TJMaxx and sisters stores Marshall’s, Homegoods and Ross sell Jordan’s, Torino and a new brand I haven’t tried of assorted zero calorie syrups. I use them to make homemade ice creams, sweeten pancakes, and occasionally in popsicles.

Canned pumpkin puree is usually on sale during this season. Mix a can with yogurt, some vanilla sugar free pudding mix and some pumpkinpie spice, it make a delicious mousse-like dessert that tastes just like pie filling.

I also do chocolate or lemon SF pudding with Greek yogurt. The lemon is particularly good.

Get creative!

• springlering62
    edited December 2023
    Options
    pS if you like certain products, get on the company email list. We love Nugo bars, and get 15-20%coupons via text or email every couple weeks, with free shipping.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    fdyw9vfyng wrote: »
    I want to start making more things from home & have a very sensitive stomach & an even more sensitive budget lol what are some tasty but healthy recipes to try out? I really enjoy things with honey flavors & dark chocolate.

Making things at home will definitely help with your budget :smiley:

For my chocolate urges, I buy dark chocolate chips. Weighing out chips and eating them super slowly helps me moderate them, and chips tend to be cheaper than bars.

You might be able to get gourmet honey for a good price at close out stores. And if not, cheap honey is good too and should also be available there. I buy some spices at dollar stores. To limit spices, instead of having basil, oregano, etc., all separately, I use Italian seasoning.

My town has a facebook group where people often post that they are cleaning out their cabinets and giving away food. There are also food pantries. My library even has a food pantry for people to drop shelf-stable food off and/or pick up. Sometimes gardeners add produce in the summer.

If you're in the US and eligible, do apply for SNAP. https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/1280
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,982 Member
    Options
    Scrabled Eggs or egg whites in a low carb tortilla.

one egg, 70 cal
    One tortilla 70cal
    Velveeta cheese slice 45 cal.
    total: 185 cal.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't for the butter, popcorn is a cheap snack. :)
  • springlering62
    Options
    Someone here suggested mixing butter with soy sauce for popcorn. It’s flipping crazy addictive.

I do 1/3 butter (margarine-cheap and low cal) to 2/3
    soy on my air-popped corn.
  • VeryHungryCatepillar45
    Options
    Cut up an apple and sprinkle it with cinnamon. It takes care of my Apple pie cravings. :)

Light cottage cheese with chopped cherry tomatoes and cucumbers is wonderful.

They sell these wheat rounds at my grocery store that are healthy. I spread a slice of light laughing cow cheese on it. Yum

Greek yogurt with any kind of fruit.

Bananas are always easy on the stomach and will squash and sweet cravings.

Hard boiled eggs are filling and satisfying.