Eating healthy makes me not wanna do fun things :/

Options
So tomorrow I really wanted to go to the LA county fair, but im afraid all i'll do is eat eat eat especially the fried oreos....I have no clue how "moderation" works in this kind of environment especially when there's way too much to choose from! UGHHH...just venting!

Replies

• juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go to the LA or Del Mar County fair, I always just go to the falafel stand.
    Just bring a limited amount of money with you (cash, versus a card) so you will only buy what you need and be done with it.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Walking around the fair will have you burning extra cals. Work in the fun food into your diary. Maybe set your goals to maintenance that day instead of to lose.
  • BanderaOutlaw
    Options
    One high-calorie day does not a diet ruin. Great idea to take a limited amount of cash, that way you only buy what you really, really want. But if you do blow your diet for the day, remember, it's just one day out of dozens, hundreds where you have been and will continue to eat healthy. Enjoy life. :-)
  • l3ugjuice
    Options
    Eating healthy makes me not wanna do fun things :/

Keep with it long enough, and you will get over that. Very much so, in fact, to where it works the other way around. Eventually, your definition of 'fun things' wont revolve so much around unhealthy eating...and even in situations where there are too many unhealthy choices, moderating your intake will be something you are comfortable with rather than something you dont have a clue how to do.

Well, that's how it was for me anyway.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    Whenever I go to the LA or Del Mar County fair, I always just go to the falafel stand.
    Just bring a limited amount of money with you (cash, versus a card) so you will only buy what you need and be done with it.

i also do the same in those setting plus most the time i know we are going to be going out some where to eat so. plus now a days i enjoy myself so much just be around people food is the last thing on my mind.
  • lindainak
    Options
    Go with friends, at least 3, and split each order between all of you. At least you get to taste the bad stuff. Also I take fat absorption tablets just for those fews times you plan to screw up your diet.
  • brendalyne
    Options
    To me moderation at events like that means deciding what is REALLY truly worth a splurge. If it's a fried oreo, then have ONE, or maybe just a bite of one. It does NOT mean that after you've eaten one that you throw in the towel, assume you just "ruined the whole day", therefore provide yourself with an excuse to eat 10 of them....plus everything else in sight. You don't have to eat junk to have "fun". Focus on enjoying the fair atmosphere, the walking, the sights & the sounds. You can do it!
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Aww, boo - don't get down about things! If you're changing your lifestyle, then you're going to have to learn how to adjust for things that you enjoy - including the fair!! Here's what I do:

Look up the cals for all the foods you would normally eat at the fair. I <3 corny dogs and funnel cake. If I go w/ someone, I usually make them split the funnel cake with me :)

Look up the cals you'll burn by walking around the fair...I usually log half of the time I spend at the event as "walking @ 2.0 mph." So if I'm going to be at the fair for 6 hours, I log that I walked for 3 hrs at 2.0 mph. The half accounts for the standing in line, sitting to eat, etc. Also, my usual activity level is sedantary, and I don't know what yours is at.

See how much balances out - before you go.

Eat a decent, healthy, filling lunch (or breakfast) before you go, that way you're not super hungry while standing in the foodlines.

Drink a LOT of water....try to limit your liquid cals. You can always have a beer or a coke - you can't always have those fried oreos!

Hope this helps - most of all, go and have fun!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    you are letting your diet control you, you should be in control of your diet. it's perfectly fine to indulge for a day and get back on track the next day. if you start shunning social events because of your diet, then you have to rethink some things
  • Q9S7
    Q9S7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I completely agree w/Acg67
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sharing is fair-ing!! haha :)

I go in a group of 5-6 friends usually, and we share everything (mainly because of cost). By doing this, I have a bite or two of lots of really tasty items, and the overall calories aren't TOO terrible... not as bad as if I'd eat whole items on my own!

As I mentioned on another post, the fair only comes once a year, so enjoy it by just having tastes of a few really delicious "fair foods", and get back on track the next day.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Side note-- just bring cash, not a debit card. Figure what you will need for admission, rides, and ONE treat... Fair food is expensive, so you'll run out of money at some point! lol :)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    take cash leave the cards at home and enjoy fair/carny foods are $$ so just take enough to get one meal out and enjoy the rest of the time with friends and rides :) and if you do go over no biggie cheat days can be good every once in awhile so relax its one day enjoy it.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    you are letting your diet control you, you should be in control of your diet. it's perfectly fine to indulge for a day and get back on track the next day. if you start shunning social events because of your diet, then you have to rethink some things

YES BUT!!!! when you've been doing so well after having a hard time and not loseing and or gaining.... you are hesitant. Hang in there!!!! I agree it wont kill you but I've been there also. if you dont go you'll just be mad and end up eating crap at home. at least at the fair you'll be walking.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You're really skinny already, a couple fried oreos won't hurt. Have fun, live life.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You're really skinny already, a couple fried oreos won't hurt. Have fun, live life.

That photo was from last year! I put it up to get back to where i was before lol. Im up about 12 lbs from my usual weight...
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    EAT BEFORE YOU GOOOOO!!!!! get yourself something filling...but always get something to share with someone!! dont just get one for yourself......sometimes the taste of the food is what youre really craving, not the amount. just drink water with the bad foods your eating...and lunches...just try to get the healthier option but water water water.!!!!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    A fair is just not about food. Go on rides and check out booths. Have one treat that you like.
  • milkinitnow
    Options
    Why don't you go and have a workout in the morning before you go? And make sure you eat something healthy before you leave so you are not hungry when you get there. Drink lots of water before you leave and take a bottle with you! Enjoy yourself !
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I always felt that way when I was doing the pre-packaged food diet thing. You know who I am talking about.. It was so rigid that if you messed up you lost a lot of ground. I don't feel that way with MFP. MFP makes it so easy to plan ahead, make an adjustment here and there thru out the week and it is all good. You should do what you enjoy and one little cheat day is not a bad thing. I have seen folks on here that have lost tons of weight actually suggest a cheat day here in there so you don't get burned out.