Has anyone else hit a hard plateau at 6 months into a calorie deficit?

Options
I’ve lost ~10lbs a month for 6 months and now for the last month I’ve just plateaued. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,212 Member
    Options
    No, not myself, but it seems like I've seen posts saying similar things.

Ten pounds a month is pretty fast loss, unless your starting point was 300+ pounds. If you were losing at that pace pretty steadily, then loss stopped suddenly without a significant change in either your eating or activity level (daily life or exercise), pretty good odds that it's some kind of weird water weight effect, and it'll break on its own eventually with patience.

There are lots of reasons water retention can increase and mask ongoing fat loss, one of which is stress from fast loss increasing cortisol.

This thread (especially the article linked in the first post) has some good information about things that can cause water retention:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

If the loss didn't stop suddenly, but tapered off gradually over a few weeks, it's possible that you've reached maintenance calories for your lighter size.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Sort of. I lost easily March thru September. Since then it's so slow it's almost like watching paint dry.
    I'm only about 7 pounds from my original goal weight. I would just stop totally right here (and I may) but at this point, maintaining or losing 1 or 2 pounds a month is pretty much the same thing. I still weigh enough I could lose faster. I just hit a spot where I'm losing slowly.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    You mirror me exactly. I averaged ten pounds a month for the first six months and assumed? expected? to zip along at the same rate.

It was an absolute shock when I hit the wall, but eventually the wall cracks and gives way.

The next twenty were much slower, maybe 5 a month, and the last 20 were super slow, basically happening unintentionally when I upped my activity level significantly during the pandemic, as well as not yielding to the temptation to stock trigger foods during lockdown.

(I ultimately decided to put 15 of the loss back on .)

If you stick with it, it’ll happen, but you’ve got to let go of that expectation of continuing “rapid” loss.

I ain’t got nothin else for you other than dogged determination. 😘
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I lost 9lb in the first 2-3 weeks
    It fluctuated up and down up and down up and down for the next day 4 weeks

I carried on for another 2 months and didn’t see any difference…

I’ve now given up…yep…I feel bad and then I don’t…

I’ll try again in the new year as I know Christmas is coming and I’m going to stuff my face with chocolates and pig in blankets! It’s the season to be jolly!

I love food 🥰 I’m not ashamed to say I failed miserably…

Yes I drastically cut my calories to lose weight quickly
    Next time I will do it slowly so I won’t be so disappointed x
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Th

Probably you've already thought of this, but I'll mention in just in case....have you recalculated your MFP goals to reflect your current weight?

If not, the problem may be that you've lost down to the maintenance level of your current weight and aren't in deficit anymore. That happened to me a couple of times on my journey.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Adaptations start to become more evident at, surprise, the six month mark or so. Also your easy to get rid off super excess lbs are probably gone.

Two options that could succeed, one that leads to regain.

Giving up will lead to regain. Depending on speed of regain to just below or just above previous before you manage to get a hold of things

You can persist with your current deficit till you break through as described above. After ensuring that you are actually applying the deficit you think you are.

Or, you can, if you are able to, eat at maintenance or closer to maintenance for a few weeks and then go back to a moderate deficit (not more than 20% of tdee, not more than 25% if you would still be correctly classified as high overweight or obese)

Also keep using a weight trend app. Perception is not reality and from the ground level solid progress often looks and feels glacial. Yet is solid. The goal is not 99lbs week. The goal is sustainable progress in the correct direction

• blueriver34
    blueriver34 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes same here. I lost 13 lbs and gained 3 last couple of days. It is very frustrating. Feel free to add me
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    If the stop was sudden then there's a good chance your body's homeostasis system is trying to offset more fatloss with water retention. If the losses slowed to a stop then thats a solid sign that you're deficit is no more and you'll need to lower calories, up your activity or a combo of both.

You had a 60 lb loss so your maintenance calories are lower by a good amount unless the weight loss attributed to more activity to compensate.