What are your top 3 exercise device rip offs?

Options
I get suckered by infomercials all the time. What are the top 3 exercise devices that you've tried and deemed a total rip off?

My list:
- Ab Belt: I can't remember what it was called. Bottom line, it tickled but didn't do anything.
- Ab Scissor: holy crap... I just about fell off of this torture device in the store.
- Thigh Master/Butt Master: Suzanne Somers pushed these products and my sister had them both. Useless.

Here's an article for top current infomercial products:
http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/695/as-seen-on-tv-fitness-gear-buy-or-change-the-channel/

Replies

• DeniseZakiya
    DeniseZakiya Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Most def an ab belt or ab rocker!

My favorite informercials that actually work are P90X, TurboFire, Insanity, ChaLean Extreme and Turbo Jam! Does anyone do those workouts?

What results have you achieved?
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    Totally agree, love the beachbody.com stuff!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the exercise department of a store, I always wondered if anyone really truly uses those shiny body suits while exercising to help them sweat off the pounds. I don't understand why anyone would do that?
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love beach body!!!!
    Turbo Fire is my favorite so far. I start insanity in 3 weeks
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Most def an ab belt or ab rocker!

My favorite informercials that actually work are P90X, TurboFire, Insanity, ChaLean Extreme and Turbo Jam! Does anyone do those workouts?

What results have you achieved?

lol nice product placement...
  • taldie01
    Options
    1.) Shake Weight bought as a gag gift but really does nothing
    2.) my mom had it cant remember what is was called but it was a plastic sheet and youd put these sock things over your feet and slide back and fourth kinda fun though
    3.) any type of food diet system
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    P90x is amazing. It's just too bad that my knees couldn't really keep up with the plyometrics.

I defintely have the ab-rocker, too. I still try to use it sometimes but it's about to end up on the junk heap.
  • ShannaB83185
    ShannaB83185 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    How about the shake weight?! Hahahaha that commerical makes me laugh everytime!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    hahah that thigh master was a hoot! rip offs? my biggest was a 'portable' treadmill (should have known) it's 'light, compact and folds up to fit under your bed' it's also a plastic piece of crap, the treads didn't move right so you're either getting no resistance or total and can't move at all (hurt my knee) AND it had a weight limit of 150 lbs :\ really?
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I love the bicycle pedals you can set in front of your easy chair and 'peddle away the pounds' while you sit on your *kitten* watching tv LOL um ... no. moving your feet in front of television is NOT exercise folks
  • tomomatic
    Options
    1.) Shake Weight bought as a gag gift but really does nothing
    2.) my mom had it cant remember what is was called but it was a plastic sheet and youd put these sock things over your feet and slide back and fourth kinda fun though
    3.) any type of food diet system

I remember the sliding sock things, too! my mom had that! I was looking for that because it looked like fun for the kids (like an indoor slip and slide for rainy days)

And the shake weight... wow. South Park made a hilarious episode about that device.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    No joke. There was this guy at my gym that when he would come in everyday he'd go in the dressing room strip down to his undies then break out some black drawstring trash bags. He would rip head, arm, and leg holes in them and wear them like a shirt and diaper, using the drawstrings to cinch them up at the waist. Then put his work out clothes on over them.

After seeing him do this one day I asked him what he was doing. And he said he couldn't afford one of those sweat suit things, But had been told they would help him loose weight so he made his own with the trash bags.

After I stopped laughing I gave him 10 dollars so he could go get him a suit. I figured if he wanted one that bad he should have one. Now that I think about it though, I haven't seen him since then so I don't know if he ever got one.

True story.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I love the bicycle pedals you can set in front of your easy chair and 'peddle away the pounds' while you sit on your *kitten* watching tv LOL um ... no. moving your feet in front of television is NOT exercise folks

LOL!!! I tried someone's once.. yeah did nothing haha
  • tomomatic
    Options
    No joke. There was this guy at my gym that when he would come in everyday he'd go in the dressing room strip down to his undies then break out some black drawstring trash bags. He would rip head, arm, and leg holes in them and wear them like a shirt and diaper, using the drawstrings to cinch them up at the waist. Then put his work out clothes on over them.

I remember a lady at the gym that used to wear one of these suits while on the elliptical machine. at some point she would put her arms down to empty the cups/pints of sweat that had collected in her sleeves right on the floor next to her. It was disgusting.

I know I bought the bicycle pedal for my aunt for her b-day from Sharper Image because she was a bank teller and complained about being complacent behind bullet proof glass all day.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the exercise department of a store, I always wondered if anyone really truly uses those shiny body suits while exercising to help them sweat off the pounds. I don't understand why anyone would do that?

I used it lots when I was younger.. and I was in good shape too. I'd take that suit off and sweat would be pouring out.. I'd wring out my socks and my shoes would have puddles.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

I used it lots when I was younger.. and I was in good shape too. I'd take that suit off and sweat would be pouring out.. I'd wring out my socks and my shoes would have puddles.

Wasn't that dangerous? Did you faint?
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I get suckered by infomercials all the time. What are the top 3 exercise devices that you've tried and deemed a total rip off?

My list:
    - Ab Belt: I can't remember what it was called. Bottom line, it tickled but didn't do anything.

haha there is an advertisement for an ab belt on the side of the web page while I was reading this.. nice
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    perfect pushup.... The rotation hurts my shoulders....

I love BB stuff though. On my third round of p90x and did two rounds of CLX.. Also, picking up p90x2 when it comes out on xmas.
  • DeniseZakiya
    DeniseZakiya Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I got a Shake Weight for one of my wedding gifts! LOL!