mvp88f8qhm
mvp88f8qhm Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2023 in Motivation and Support
The title speaks loud enough..

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Stated above. Unless you have a CONSISTENT HABITUAL BEHAVIOR to do what it takes to meet your goal, motivation only lasts when YOU want it to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I agree--you're looking for the wrong thing. Are you having trouble staying within your daily calorie goal, or trouble keeping up with some sort of exercise?

I think of it this way: it's a lot easier to build good habits and coast along on those. I manage to take a shower, comb my hair, wash my clothes, and clean house (maybe this one isn't the best example), etc.... without using motivation. I do the same for eating a correct portion (for me) and daily exercise. I don't even think about it. Just do it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    If I relied on motivation to floss my teeth, this would never get done. Here's my favorite article on motivation:

http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    snowjobber wrote: »
    I’m going to go against the grain here and say…I agree. Everyone has different needs and I thrive on achieving a goal. I have used many types of goals in the past (short, long, unobtainable, etc) and many have been effective. You end up teaching yourself routine/discipline along the way. My current challenge is that my body can no longer handle the types of goals I have used in the past since I am aging. I am slowly moving my goals closer to my current limitations and that seems to work…but it is really hard to accept. Good luck!

NEVER let ego dictate what you can do now. I CAN'T lift what I used to. I can't eat the way I did in my 20's and keep fit. So you make changes that fit how you are now. What you did in your prime years are GONE. Be the best you that you can be now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    snowjobber wrote: »
    I’m going to go against the grain here and say…I agree. Everyone has different needs and I thrive on achieving a goal. I have used many types of goals in the past (short, long, unobtainable, etc) and many have been effective. You end up teaching yourself routine/discipline along the way. My current challenge is that my body can no longer handle the types of goals I have used in the past since I am aging. I am slowly moving my goals closer to my current limitations and that seems to work…but it is really hard to accept. Good luck!

Reality Acceptance is a useful skill to learn and practice :smiley:
  • runtintinrun
    runtintinrun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me, it all starts with motivation, and during that time, I build my ‘motivation’ into my lifestyle - it’s the only way it stick for me! I have to make anything I do regarding health and fitness part of my life.
  • prodigal6766
    prodigal6766 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I always need motivation, but like they’ve said, that only gets you so far. I’ve struggled with discipline my whole life. I was not a fan. Then I read that goals are good, but it is the process to get you there that is vitally important. So I started setting alarms on my phone for everything, wake up, go to sleep, eat breakfast, eat lunch, eat dinner, drink water (4x a day), take am meds, take pm meds, brush my teeth, go for a walk, etc. I have done this for two months and of course I have the flexibility to snooze the alarm, but it worked. I have a set routine that I do everyday. I now know where and when I will be somewhere. It’s nice to be able to confidently schedule appts knowing when you are free. Recently I have begun to delete those alarms. Not all, I still keep the basics, like waking and meds, but I don’t need them anymore. I’m doing them. And that gives me motivation everyday!