Can you say frustration!?!?!

Options
Ok...so I used to be religious about this site a year ago. I lost 50lbs. and was feeling great. I was running 4-5 miles 5 days a week and was looking and feeling good. Then, it happened. I got injured last Summer; broke a couple of bones in my foot and had to take about 3 1/2 months off from running. I then went back to work and I have had a terrible time getting into a new exercise routine. I haven't gotten on the scale for the past 5 months because I was scared and today I overcame my fear. Now, I am just mad. Mad at myself for not getting on the scale everyday to keep myself in check!! I have gained back 20 lbs. UGH!!! I am so frustrated! The sad thing is that I can't go back to running the way I used to but I have no idea how I am going to burn that many calories. Running burns so many calories and I love to run...when healthy. Anybody else have any suggestions...lots of calorie burn and not hours and hours to do it?!! HELP!! My 40th birthday is on April 15 and I would love to be down 10 lbs. by then. I am going to give it a shot and get my fat butt back in gear!!

Replies

• buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    Ok...so I used to be religious about this site a year ago. I lost 50lbs. and was feeling great. I was running 4-5 miles 5 days a week and was looking and feeling good. Then, it happened. I got injured last Summer; broke a couple of bones in my foot and had to take about 3 1/2 months off from running. I then went back to work and I have had a terrible time getting into a new exercise routine. I haven't gotten on the scale for the past 5 months because I was scared and today I overcame my fear. Now, I am just mad. Mad at myself for not getting on the scale everyday to keep myself in check!! I have gained back 20 lbs. UGH!!! I am so frustrated! The sad thing is that I can't go back to running the way I used to but I have no idea how I am going to burn that many calories. Running burns so many calories and I love to run...when healthy. Anybody else have any suggestions...lots of calorie burn and not hours and hours to do it?!! HELP!! My 40th birthday is on April 15 and I would love to be down 10 lbs. by then. I am going to give it a shot and get my fat butt back in gear!!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear about your injury. :flowerforyou:

Do you have access to a gym? For me, the only other thing that burns more calories than running is the stair master.

I wish you the best of luck and I just know you will get back on track. :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Try an eliptical:drinker:
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    i very much understand your frustration...i had lost about 40 pounds before I broke my ankle a year ago. i was immobile for 3 months, and it took another six to really get back to any kind of real gym routine. I put about 15 pounds back on...

I started with a recumbent bike, and swimming, both of which were pretty low impact on my ankle...i still can't do the impact of running, so I do the elliptical trainer. it burns lots of calories. Lets you get your heart rate way up, without the impact of running.
  • nickelmel
    nickelmel Posts: 87
    Options
    I would highly suggest the elliptical. Easy on your joints and I can burn a little over 600 calories in an hour!

good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Are you healed enough for some high impact?

If so, the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, is IMHO the highest burn for your buck. 30 minutes is for me 300 calories.

Also, I love spinning (almost no impact) if you push with the resistance, I get 500-600 calories in an hour. (In order to protect your foot, I'd recommend investing in some cycling shoes).

Sorry for your setback.

:flowerforyou:
  • HelloSunshine
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the stair stepper machines at the gym. Its not too much impact on the feet knees or legs but it burns some huge calories. I spend about 30 minutes on it a night and burn around 400 calories. :smile:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    maybe swimming??
    fast swimming burns a good amount, i think.
    good luck to you