Fruits.. over in sugar. What's your advice?

Options
I'm trying to get in more fruits in.. as well as veggies. But as far as fruits, I was wondering how many servings - pieces of fruit do you consume in one day? Everytime I try to get in more fruits, i'm already OVER in sugar! Have any of you just stopped counting sugar when it comes to eating fruits?

Replies

• puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    bump. I'd like to know too!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-4 servings per day. I always go over in sugar because of this, but I know if I didn’t eat fruit, I would be under my sugar. Fruit is good for you, don’t worry so much about it.

:flowerforyou:
  • crozierb
    crozierb Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have stopped counting sugar because of this! The unfair part is that sugars are burned up when you work out, and MFP automatically ups your calorie intake when you log excercise, but not the amount of sugar you can have. The two really go hand in hand, so I wouldn't worry about your sugar intake too much, just cals and making sure to get enough of everything else.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    Also, the guidelines for maximum sugar intake are meant to be for "added sugars", according to the USDA guidelines. The sugar in fruit is not considered an "added sugar". MFP just does not have the capability of distinguishing the two.
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have stopped counting sugar because of this! The unfair part is that sugars are burned up when you work out, and MFP automatically ups your calorie intake when you log excercise, but not the amount of sugar you can have. The two really go hand in hand, so I wouldn't worry about your sugar intake too much, just cals and making sure to get enough of everything else.

I stopped tracking my sugar as well because I was normally over what MFP allowed me for the day by lunch. I just try my best to stay away from the bad sugars.
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    I don't eat fruits when trying to lower my sugar intake. Most fruits low in sugar are berries, papaya and melons. In fact some vegetables also have some sugars. I try to consume whole grains, barley, oatmeal, brown rice and whole wheat sandwhich thins as a form of carb and minimal sugar. Hope this helps!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, sugar MAY slow your progress down (this goes for ALL sugar). It's up to you to figure out how many is right for you.

Berries are full of fiber and relatively low in sugar. You can only eat so many until you get full. Bananas on the other hand are packed with sugar. Great for after a workout or a quick jump in energy.
  • lockef
    Options
    Also, the guidelines for maximum sugar intake are meant to be for "added sugars", according to the USDA guidelines. The sugar in fruit is not considered an "added sugar". MFP just does not have the capability of distinguishing the two.

Sugar is sugar. The body doesn't know the difference if it comes from HFCS, table sugar, or from fruit.

The term "added sugar" is only used for marketing.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    my dietician told me not to worry about fruit/naturally occuring sugars and such, but just track added sugars. its kind of impossible to do on MFP, but i keep a little notebook and kinda keep track on that.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an underlying condition where sugar/carbs are a cause for concern, it's not really a big deal.
  • AlmostMrsP
    AlmostMrsP Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about this also.

I try to eat at least one fruit a day. I don't usually count the sugars from fruits though as they are all natural sugars and not refined. So if I'm over because of my fruits I don't worry about it, but still keep track so I know I'm not over because of other processed sugars.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    GLUCOSE= made by liver; sent thru body
    FRUCTOSE= made by fruit; very close to the necessary glucose, and easily processed by body
    SUCROSE= refined sugars (like the kind you put in your coffee; candy bars, booze etc); difficult and takes a long time to process via liver)

Naturally occuring sugars in fruit is good.
  • lockef
    Options
    FRUCTOSE= made by fruit; very close to the necessary glucose, and easily processed by body
    SUCROSE= refined sugars (like the kind you put in your coffee; candy bars, booze etc); difficult and takes a long time to process via liver)

All the sugar in fruit is not fructose. SMH
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

Sugar is sugar. The body doesn't know the difference if it comes from HFCS, table sugar, or from fruit.

The term "added sugar" is only used for marketing.

Incorrect. Different types of sugars are absorbed differently in the body.

"Sugar is sugar" is a marketing ploy used by the corn refining companies to make you think high fructose corn syrup is the same as the sugar in fruit, or the sugar from sugar cane, or the sugar from sugar beets.

"Added sugars" just makes sense.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

Incorrect.

Fruit sugar is fructose.

However, fructose is found in other things besides fruit.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

LOL wrong! SMH...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose
  • lockef
    Options

LOL wrong! SMH...

Thanks for proving my point... See table 1. :laugh:

Edit: I just want to add... Fructose must go through the liver. It's glucose that is readily used by the body. Sucrose is half fructose and half glucose.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

LOL wrong! SMH...

Thanks for proving my point... See table 1. :laugh:

Ok, then fruit is mostly fructose. There is still a difference between fruit in sugar and "added sugars", in terms of how they are absorbed and metabolized. I'm sorry, but all sugars are not created equal.
  • lockef
    Options
    There is still a difference between fruit in sugar and "added sugars", in terms of how they are absorbed and metabolized.

Only when digested with fiber. Drinking orange juice with "no added sugars" is exactly the same as drinking a soda that uses HFCS as a sweetener.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options

MFP increases my sugar goal in response to exercise.