Gastric sleeve surgery

Options
Just had the gastric sleeve surgery on Monday, I’m watching all these videos on peoples experiences and it is rather strange. Some people are eating full soups a week after their surgery but I’ve been told just water and protein shakes for 2 weeks then purée food. Why is it different in different places? Also when will I get out of this mental funk / headache state I’m in…. Help! 26 year old female from London

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Each patient is different. Doctors use different procedures depending on their training and the patient they are working with. Follow your doctor's orders. Best of luck.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    what is done.. is now done. i'd talk to your medical provider since he/she knows excactly what they did. They should offer ongoing support.. i would think.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,625 Member
    Options
    When consuming very few calories (as you probably are during the initial stages of recovery) don't *kitten* around with the protein--getting in a sufficiency of protein is *necessary* for your health--not just a "good idea".

And.. beyond that... you're under your doctor's care so talk to the professionals you and your family can sue if they screw up (with) your care!
  • kndy123
    kndy123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just sharing for some clarity, I had my surgery on the 4th Dec, for me it was protein shakes, broths and milk in terms of protein, things I liked before (flavours I had tried and tested in preparation) I cannot stand anymore.

Discussed with the dietician who suggested protein waters and high protein soups and long as they are well blended and passed through a sieve (spelling?) So its very liquidy and no bits.

If you have any concerns I'd recommend speaking with the bariatrics team as they will be able to help make adjustments to suit you and your procedure etc.

• peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    xpannax50 wrote: »
    Just had the gastric sleeve surgery on Monday, I’m watching all these videos on peoples experiences and it is rather strange. Some people are eating full soups a week after their surgery but I’ve been told just water and protein shakes for 2 weeks then purée food. Why is it different in different places? Also when will I get out of this mental funk / headache state I’m in…. Help! 26 year old female from London

you've just come out of surgery and you are referring to videos on the internet instead of listening to your doctor's orders? and coming here for advice??! you need to check yourself that you are already resisting/questioning what your doctor has instructed for your own treatment for his required protocol for your particular surgery and his/hers course of action/prognosis.
    why didnt you do this research B4 the surgery and have these questions b4 the surgery? youve just gone thru llife alerting surgery and you ve only now just decided to research this? after the fact? and on where? instagram and tiktock?
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    When consuming very few calories (as you probably are during the initial stages of recovery) don't *kitten* around with the protein--getting in a sufficiency of protein is *necessary* for your health--not just a "good idea".

And.. beyond that... you're under your doctor's care so talk to the professionals you and your family can sue if they screw up (with) your care!

she went in for weight loss surgery and is watching the internet for for recovery protocols instead of listening to her doctor.... and you are making suggestions about her ability to sue her doctor if they screw up with her care? in what universe did you interpret anything about the doctor screwing up her care? your response is so totally and obnoxiously American. sue for what exactly?
  • MarieBuch10
    MarieBuch10 Posts: 24 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    "she went in for weight loss surgery and is watching the internet for for recovery protocols instead of listening to her doctor.... and you are making suggestions about her ability to sue her doctor if they screw up with her care? in what universe did you interpret anything about the doctor screwing up her care? your response is so totally and obnoxiously American. sue for what exactly?"

If you were in the American "healthcare" system you wouldn't even have to ask lol
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I would rather she sue her doctor than me. Thus the advice to talk to them as opposed to me. Plus they have insurance and I don't. So they're much better sources of knowledge for someone who will be looking for someone to sue given they're not following instructions 😘
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why there's a need for liquids and soft food for the first few weeks.....most of your stomach has been removed, that's a lot of sutures and the need for healing and the basic building material for that is protein. Even if someone did eat solid food after a week, the inquiring mind and common sense would ask, why would that be a good idea. Follow your doctors advice would be advisable and I suspect this comes from years of doing this surgery and having to go back in and make repairs to people that didn't follow that advice. I'm sure they would rather not do that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,957 Member
    Options
    I would say:

Do what your doctor tells you.

Never believe a random video on YouTube (you know that people can and do say anything, right? There's no vetting system on YouTube.)

Don't use Doctor Google. see above.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I would say:

Do what your doctor tells you.

Never believe a random video on YouTube (you know that people can and do say anything, right? There's no vetting system on YouTube.)

Don't use Doctor Google. see above.

I'm sure I could find videos on youtube "proving" the earth is flat :lol:

And I've heard from my brother that there are videos about people who are secretly reptile people :lol::lol::lol:
  • kshama2001
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I would rather she sue her doctor than me. Thus the advice to talk to them as opposed to me. Plus they have insurance and I don't. So they're much better sources of knowledge for someone who will be looking for someone to sue given they're not following instructions 😘

i1cg3ei8cu2s.png
  • kshama2001
    Options
    xpannax50 wrote: »

Do reach out to your medical team.

I had a great recovery from major surgery last year, and followed instructions to a T, except the part about not lifting anything over 8 pounds, because my cat is 12 pounds :lol: (And I didn't actually "lift" him, I'd gather him into my arms at waist height and move him horizontally. But I digress.)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,405 Member
    Options
    I had mine November 13th. Just now on soft foods.

The sooner you consume food that makes your stomach work, the higher the risk of side effects like bleeding at the staple line, stricture, ongoing nausea, just poorer outcomes.

My first 3 days were clear liquid, then was full liquid until 2 weeks out (protein shakes, pudding, yogurt, etc). Then pureed food for weeks 3 and 4. Pureed food was revolting so I mostly stuck to the same stuff as full liquid, plus soft scrambled eggs, soups, etc. I'm now on soft food, so everything from the previous stages plus anything we'll cooked and moist. Tonight was homemade potato leek soup with small bites of chicken thigh braised in it.

Stop watching videos on the internet. Follow the instructions given by your surgeon. Err on the side of caution. If you are unclear on the instructions given by your surgeon, call their office.

Make sure you get your 64 oz of fluid daily, get your protein in however you must, and treat your instructions as gospel.

And again, stop watching videos on the internet and follow the plan laid out by your bariatric surgeon.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    @nicsflyingcircus is the 64oz of fluid inclusive of the protein (as in "at least 64oz of fluid from all sources") or is it specific in addition to the nutritionally fortified liquids (e.g. protein etc)

Also, wondering if the, if I dare call it such, "essentially similar to PSMF" intake is just a side effect of the procedure or also intentionally crafted to reduce a chunk of weight? Or a combination that can't be easily separated in terms of chicken and egg?