Fruit Sugar VS Table Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• barwwd
    barwwd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Great thread, thanks! Just wanted to point out to those watching nutrients that MFP changes your alotments of nutrients based on the exercise you enter. So although I usually am only supposed to have 24 grams of sugar, running for 115 minutes gets me 50 grams.
  • alanwh
    alanwh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    You can go here if you want to see more interesting info on these two from a man who is very well versed in nutrition: http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    [/quote]

Nice link...50g a day for active adults seams low imop. I've always been pretty active and used fruit as Pre work out carbs & for the glucose. I don't think any doctor would say cut out fruit and the fiber it provides is pretty good on top of the nutrients already mentioned.
  • minheee
    Options
    You should count the carbs from your fruits and vegetables. Sugar is sugar. The word natural sugar comes off very odd to me because the opposite to natural sugar would be fake sugar, aka aspartame. Sugar from the shelf is the same as sugar in your fruits. It's the environment the sugar is retained in that makes a difference between the outcomes. Fruits are packed with fibers, vitamins, and antioxidants; a candy bar has the main ingredient as sugar. Sugar (fructose) gets digested by the liver to make energy, if there is too much sugar it gets stored as fat. Fructose is broken down by enzymes in the liver to glucose, sucrose is a 1:1 ratio of fructose:glucose. Fruits mainly have fructose while chocolate, candies, etc have sucrose. If your body takes longer to digest a molecule, it therefore takes more time for it to be stored to fat. In other words, a direct intake of glucose will take a one way trip to storage land. Another thing, the other health benefits from fruits also slows down this process, google the details of you like.
    You should avoid added sugar if you take a large intake of fruits. Fruits are not bad for you, and the word natural sugar is a bit ridiculous. Table sugar is grown from sugar canes, and last time I checked sugar canes were natural. I have seen "natural sugar" on shelves but they advertised it as no chemicals or pesticides were used in the product.
    Also, the recommended amount of carb intake is just a recommendation. Not everyone is the same, if you've been eating a lot of fruit everyday for a majority of your life, then your body can probably take that much sugar per day.
    I rambled a lot but in conclusion, sugar is sugar, count it towards your carb intake.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It's true that fruit sugar is good for you, but sugar is sugar, and if you're pre diabetic or something like that you should watch it.

Obviously sugar is sugar, but how your body reactes to sugars such as table sugar, honey, syrups, etc. is very different from how it reactes to foods that have both sugar and fiber, such as fruit. The more fiber, the slower your body is to digest the food and the slower it releases insulin to process the sugar. This is why you don't get the same "sugar rush" after eating an Apple that you do after eating the same volume of Oreos. Because insulin isn't released at the same rate.

QFT