huge question about gyms

alapoint89
alapoint89 Posts: 632
i have two well behaved kids one is 3 and the other is 3months old would it be ok to take them to the gym for an hour with me?

Replies

• rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Does the gym have a day care?
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Go to a ymca, they have daycare and will watch them for you. I take my 2 year old with me everyday.
  • its an apartment gym and i dont have money to spend
  • Not in any commercial gym I've ever been to. 3 months seems too young even if the gym has a day care.
  • also i dont have a ymca and also the gym provides television with cable tv and my 3 month old will be in her stroller
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Depends on the gym. Most won't let little ones on the floor due to insurance liability. Many gyms have day care , at least part of the day. good luck.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    if it's in your apartment complex...and they aren't fartin' around and being annoying, I don't see why not. I take my kid (but he's 9) and he plays his DS while I do a quick work out. Portable DVD players are great too
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    i have two well behaved kids one is 3 and the other is 3months old would it be ok to take them to the gym for an hour with me?

First, only if no one else is there. Second, only if you have something to keep the 3 yo safe and entertained. It's not about being well behaved, it's also about keeping them preoccupied . . . just because they want to get into stuff because it's new or their bored doesn't mean they're poorly behaved.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    I would only take them if the gym has day care - for one, they likely have an age restriction and two, you dont want to risk something happening to one of them because you are concentrating on your work out. Or you will end up more stressed than it's worth, because you'll be constantly trying to watch them and work out at the same time.

Just my opinion :)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    When I used to live in apt with a gym you bet your booty I took my kids (then one was 4 and the other 4 months)! I didn't go when it was busy and I had stuff to keep them entertained. As long as they are well behaved go for it. :smile:
  • accually when i say well behaved he will sit there until i tell him to move so ya u dont ever have to worrie about that part
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    I saw a mama with her newborn bebe swaddled up and snuggling on her while she used the recumbent bike at my gym (a city rec. center so very family-friendly, obv.) It was awesome to see. I'd be more worried about the 3 year old than the teeny one but you'd be the best judge of how safe you can keep him/her. I second the DVD option but, again, only if you are the only one in the "gym".

I'd be more inclined to invest in a home setup (DVDs, adjustable dumbbells, etc.), switch off with your husband or even look into how much 5 hours of babysitting a week would run you so that you can workout without the stress of baby/child wrangling.
  • i work out 7 days a week and i cant afford a dime at this moment
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    accually when i say well behaved he will sit there until i tell him to move so ya u dont ever have to worrie about that part

Honey, do it! I know first hand about saving money and getting back in shape after having a newborn! You need to put yourself at close second (I'll never say first over kids :wink: ) My ODD was the same way, she would just sit and color and she was literally not more than 3 feet away from me at any moment. Take his fav. dvd's or put his fav. channel on the TV, whatever it is he likes to do, and go. I also put my newbie in the stroller in front of me as long as she could see me (or my friend) she was happy. :If you start to have problems you can always pack up and leave.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    if they don't provide daycare i wouldn't.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    from the insurance point of view. if they accidentally got hurt, i'm sure you couldn't hold the gym reliable. it would all be on you financially.
  • if you know that your three year old will be safe and not bother anyone and that the 3 month old wont just cry the whole time i say go for it!

go when its not busy, i bet if its a gym in an apartment complex then during working hours (say after 10am) there will be no one there so go then...

you might just want to check with management that kids are allowed in the gym...
  • Just try it!! If it works, go for it. If no, then you will know. May work out just fine.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    If the place is empty...then why not give it a trial run (obviously, you're going to be keeping an eye on them while you do your workout)., but I'd only do it if you're the only one in there at the time. Most other people aren't going to appreciate having the Cartoon Network on the TV just to entertain your children if they're trying to get a good workout in, and if they complain to the apartment management, you might get in trouble (I once worked for a company that managed apartments and they had rules against that sort of thing for liability reasons).
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    from the insurance point of view. if they accidentally got hurt, i'm sure you couldn't hold the gym reliable. it would all be on you financially.

That's a nice theory, if only it was true! Unfortunately, people sue for the most ridiculous things every day and get settlements. I suspect they could be held liable unless there are strict (clearly posted) rules prohibiting it, and even then, you'd probably be surprised at what people have sued for and won!
This discussion has been closed.