fact or fiction?

Options
hey peeps is it true that chewing gum tones the muscles in your face and jaw? x

Replies

• Jade1x
    Jade1x Posts: 166
    Options
    I cant answer your question but i got told it sends singals to the brain that you hungry?? Dunno how true it is
  • Jess22542
    Options
    It helps me to control my cravings.
  • lunchgirlie
    lunchgirlie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hm, I don't know about the toning, but I did read that it keeps you from snacking if the flavor is strong mint because it makes other things taste worse? Who knows.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...interesting. BUMP!

I know it isn't good for dental work. Filling in particular.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Not sure on that, but it has been known to cause TMJ
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    I've heard it gives you wind :P. On a more serious note, My yoga instructor mentioned that there are facial exercises you can do. Not sure if it is true, may want to google it!
  • amandavictoria80
    Options
    Hm, I don't know about the toning, but I did read that it keeps you from snacking if the flavor is strong mint because it makes other things taste worse? Who knows.

Strong minty flavor. Such a good idea. Nothing taste good after that. LOL I;m gonna go and get me the strongest gum I can. :)
  • amandavictoria80
    Options
    I know it sounds crazy, But I just can't eat gum that tastes good. I swallow it. Even if I try not to, it goes down. LOL
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    hey peeps is it true that chewing gum tones the muscles in your face and jaw? x

I don't think so. Anything that you can do that many reps with is not putting enough load on the muscle to help tone it (increase the muscles size).

You would have to chew things that you could only manage to do a few reps with (6-15 reps) before you would have to take a break, to work the jaw muscles like you are saying. Just chewing gum would be like you doing a bicep curl with very little, or no weight at all
  • StixFight
    StixFight Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Gum has two negative side effects:

1) increase wrinkles on the face due to constant skin folding repetitiveness

2) Stimulates appetite due to the extra saliva produced why not actually depositing food into the stomach.

Gum is helpful for those who are habitiual eaters & need to keep their mouth busy.
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have never heard it described as "toning" the muscles but I was diagnosed with TMJ dysfunction when I was 11 and my dentist told me my jaw muscles were the strongest ones on my body. Having said that, it wasn't a good thing in my case and if I chew gum too often or for too long I get clicking in my jaw, headaches, etc. I don't know if chewing gum can cause TMJ issues but I wouldn't chew it all the time just in case.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds crazy, But I just can't eat gum that tastes good. I swallow it. Even if I try not to, it goes down. LOL

LOL! I love it!!! :laugh:
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
  • starrstarr007
    Options
    I can't say this works, but I have an excersize I do... be warned - you look crazy!! Hopefully I can explain this - slowly say the vowels A, E, I, O U with very exageratted facial and mouth movements (maybe 4 seconds for each letter). On the U push your lower jaw forward - basically I think you look like a chimp sticking out your lower lip. I usually say all 5 vowels 3-4 times an couple times a week in the shower. Be warned - don't over do it - you may be surprised how sore your neck and jaw will be the next day. I have seen a world of difference.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I can't say this works, but I have an excersize I do... be warned - you look crazy!! Hopefully I can explain this - slowly say the vowels A, E, I, O U with very exageratted facial and mouth movements (maybe 4 seconds for each letter). On the U push your lower jaw forward - basically I think you look like a chimp sticking out your lower lip. I usually say all 5 vowels 3-4 times an couple times a week in the shower. Be warned - don't over do it - you may be surprised how sore your neck and jaw will be the next day. I have seen a world of difference.
    '

I do exercises too..for the face and neck! and yep, you do look pretty silly doing them:))) I do believe it has made a difference too.