Always feel full

Options
When I sit down for a meal, I usually don’t stop until I feel full. At that point I’m not only full, but I feel uncomfortable.

Replies

• sharon81
    sharon81 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't have any new suggestions from what was stated above but I know the feeling all too well. I actually will often not feel "full" or still seemingly feel hungry after I eat. I have even tried waiting ten minutes or so before going in for seconds (usually just a bit more). Once I eat the "bit" more, I am stuffed. I think for me, it has to be psychological as I have somehow made seconds a "must have" thing in my life. I find if I ignore the "hunger" or lack of being full long enough, it goes away, however, if it's something really good, it's hard to ignore. I find that I can't make tacos, taco salad, nachos or anything Mexican at my house very often because I have a tendency to overeat it. I try to tell myself, "Self, you can have this again, this isn't the last time for the rest of your life" but then there I am overeating it like I am never going to have it again.
    I wish you the best of luck and success in combatting this! Let us know if any of the suggestions work for you.
  • kraft024
    kraft024 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use Home Chef and so my meal portion sizes and calories are pre-set. I often feel hungry or like I could eat more when I finish. I just distract myself for a few minutes and then I feel full.

I picture my digestive system like an automatically closing window with a timer. When I start eating a meal, the clock starts on being full. It ticks down the same whether I eat fast or slow--I choose what to put in there in that timeframe.
  • brenn35
    brenn35 Posts: 33 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I overate the other night and felt awful. I know I have quit eating and wait 20 minutes and I am full. I tell myself if I am not I can eat again but that usually doesnt happen.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    All I would add is choose a reasonable sized serving, eat it, and only go back for seconds after at least 30 minutes, ideally closer to an hour. This will allow your body hormones to respond to the food you ate and signal fullness.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What slowed me down was putting the fork down between bites. Sounds silly, but it works. At least it did for me. 😉
  • nolongergordo
    nolongergordo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the replies so I may be repeating others here.

I used to be like you however when I slowed down my pace of eating by about half it gave the food time to assimilate into my system and for it to recognize that I was no longer hungry. We can eat faster than the hunger hormone is suppressed.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Well, you realize the problem.. that's a great start. I vote.. drink a few glasses of water.. double up your vegetables.. weigh out your protein and any startch... and only take seconds of vegetables until you're full. That routine shoudl work.. then start trying to change your clean plate behavoir as time goes on.. you will.
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Make a fist. That is the approximate size of your stomach. However, it can stretch to triple that size (or more). After you begin eating, it takes your body approximately 15 minutes to release leptin, the hormone that makes you feel full. Feeling full is not a good measurement of when to stop eating. Put together your desired portion to meet your nutritional intake goal for the meal, and consume it. If you are still hungry after 15 minutes, drink a glass of water, which you can also do before the meal.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    i googled the "fist is the size of your stomach". and it is when it is empty and at rest. But. it doens't mean you only eat a fist size of food. The stomach stretches many times larger when we drink and eat.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Are you eating plenty of non starchy veg? They have water weight and fiber and help you feel full. Also, potatoes are the most filling food on the planet. Do a 50/50 plate with every meal do you can eat larger quantities. Read The Starch Solution! You really can eat a lot and continue to lose.
  • Sett2023
    Sett2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    lisasays wrote: »
    You really can eat a lot and continue to lose.

Amen!
  • stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Drink 2 glasses of water with each meal and set half of your meal aside and see if you are still hungry 20 minutes later. Also, don't be part of the empty plate club, if you get full while you are eating, wrap your plate and set it aside for later in the day or tomorrow. Also, consider having a bowl of soup before your meal, a piece of fruit with each meal or a plate of vegetables or salad before your main meal. I always have water with dinner, I will often have 4 glasses, but I have diabetes. Apparently being really thirsty is a sign of eating too much sugar that day. Hope this helps!
  • stegeem
    Options
    Eat lots of fibre and protein! People that eat enough fibre are more likely to be slim. I eat a lot of popcorn. It isn't too many calories and fills lots of space in my stomach. Eat things are big and bulky but low calorie. Weigh your food before you eat and don't go back for seconds, say "this is how much I'm going to eat". Go for a walk after meals. Get away from the house/food, after eating and distract yourself. Consider eating dinner close to bedtime so you don't snack after dinner. I usually take my sleeping pills within half an hour of dinner because I'm tired after 15 minutes.
  • thelissakaye5006
    thelissakaye5006 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is me to a T. I call myself a “bulk” eater. I found part of it for me is being dehydrated. It took me a while to figure out, I don’t get thirsty when dehydrated, I get hungry. I also need to satisfy savory cravings. I would be good all day long and then right before bed want to devour everything and binge eat. I found taking a multivitamin consistently helps. I also like to sleep with a full belly. I know a lot of people are against it. I eat a big bulk veggie dinner flavored with a little cheese and meat/oil. I will save a decent amount of calories for dinner and one late snack. I’ll make a big stir fry like mostly cabbage/kale/broccoli slaw and toss in a small serving of bacon and cheese for flavor. It keeps the meal low calorie with a lot of bulk and lots of flavor, so I don’t go over and go to bed on a full belly.
  • stegeem
    Options
    I don't think eating until you are full is a problem, I think it's just if you are overeating. Although in some cultures, they stop when they are 80% full instead of eating to 100% and that's how they stay trim.
  • PazRealtor
    PazRealtor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To all the respondents good "consejos" tips. I'm taking what I can use, gracias.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!