Advice please! Exercising through the pain

Options
A bit of background. I'm at about 290 right now, down from my highest weight of 341. I have recently bumped up my workouts and the level of intensity of my workouts quite aggressively, and I feel pretty good.

After a 25 mile bike ride and a very intense hour long strength training session with my trainer yesterday, I got on the bike this morning, and while it was tough, I made another 25 miles. I felt ok when I got off the bike, but after sitting down for about 15 minutes, my calves lit themselves on fire somehow. At least that's how it feels!

I have iced them, heated them, taken anti inflammatories...all the things you ought to, but I am curious what happens tomorrow if they still hurt? I don't want to stop my workouts, but I don't want an injury to take me out either. EVERYONE I know tells me to just take a few days off, but I trust my MFP family more on this subject...you know because you've been there.

Work through the pain like a biggest loser contestant, or play it safe and take a day off?

Replies

• Alchemiss11
    Options
    Do you have access to a swimming pool?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Is this muscle soreness or a different kind of pain? If it's *pain* and still there tomorrow, I'll share the advice I got from my trainer yesterday: "Would you rather take a day off or be forced to take a week or a month off?" You don't want to cause an injury.

You're not in a race. Take tomorrow "off" - and by that I mean give your lower body time to rest. Do upper body weights, swimming, and/or go on a walk.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    eat some sweet potatoes (for the potassium) and go for a nice slow stroll followed by a nice long stretch.
  • Bugsyzgrl
    Bugsyzgrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would probably do something different. I try not to take a day off but if my legs are cramping, which they do after Zumba, I try to work more on the strength exercises the next AM with a small amount of cardio. Then two days following it's back to hard cardio again.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If I hurt I take a day off or work a different section of the body. Just a walk is also good to get the blood flowing but not over doing it. Good Luck
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water between today and tomorrow and stretch. Stretch, stretch, stretch. If they still hurt tomorrow do something else at the gym. But, don't skip a day, just work a different muscle group.
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day or two.

The pain sounds like your muscles healing and growing to fix the microtears resulting from your recent exercise. They need a little bit of time to fix themselves. Eat plenty of protein to fuel the repairs, too.

I've just done something similar with regards to my strength and cycling training (a day of heavy duty strength followed by two of high-impact cycling). My quads are sore as hell and I assure you that I'm going nowhere near my bike tomorrow, no matter how much I love flying up and down hills on my way to work and back.

Rest days are absolutely vital, and it's not copping out to take one, even if you do have to miss a bit of fun in the saddle.

Addendum: as someone upthread suggested, if you absolutely have to exercise, you could take the opportunity to work a different part of the body; this might be an ideal opportunity to work on your bench press! :)
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    eat a banana and take a rest day. your muscles need to rest
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Soak in Epsom salts and re ice. See how they feel tomorrow and if the pain is enough to hurt from just walking, then take the whole day off.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, thank you everyone!!!! I appreciate you so much!
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Is it pain or are you sore? I disagree with taking a day off to be honest. Your body is not used to what you are doing. I am a cyclist and a spinner and I am ALWAYS sore. You are working the same muscles every day.

As far as "pain" I have tendenitis and arthitis in my joints knees and feet (yes feet). My doctor gave me a clean bill of heal but every time I walk I feel pain. Its been almost two years now. Instead of it stopping me I push thru. And yes I've tried to rest but it didnt work. So rather than be out of shape I'd take soreness and/or pain anyday.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!!