Nurse with plantar fasciitis. Help?

2»

Replies

• marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hello nurse, I got that from running overweight, do you have a strong hands husband, ask him to massage your feet while you stretch them, pointing your toes at you, he must apply some pushing with his knuckles, it hurts as hell but the pain will subside with days, also apply some muscle soar aiding roll on at nights, fascitis is the layer of the feet plant too tense.

Or, go to a therapist, they will put electrodes and relax it.

Oh..one more thing, roll your plant on a tennis ball, it feels totally unpleasant to the point of peeing in self but it absolutely helps the foot to release that tension and massage deeply.

Do it!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    You said "GP" - are you in the UK? If so, get yourself a referral quickstyle! You can get bespoke orthotic insoles on the NHS. Do it soon - they work wonders, not just for feet but knees, hips and back, all of which are thrown out of line by plantar fasciitis.

Stretches etc are fine, but get the insoles ASAP. As far as I know there is no cure but a good pair of insoles is the nearest thing you'll get. Put it off no longer!

(Source: I also suffer from this and got insoles prescribed, huge impact).
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    I feel your pain. I was recently diagnosed with my second encounter, I had no idea it would come back. Initially I was given some heel cups that worked wonders and while I could never locate any to purchase I was able to get a new pair from the internet once I found out what they were called Tuli's Heel Cups (they are not all created equally). I wore them almost all the time, except in the shower, I put them in my socks when at home and even slept in them for those late night trips to the restroom (no time to stretch before getting up). The pain lightened up much faster than I expected. I still wear the heel cups on occasion especially when I am going to be on my feet for long periods.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    I had this for a while and the 2 things that worked for me were exercising in aisics 'motion control' trainers, and otherwise wearing a small heel. Wearing complete flats for too long sets it off. Didn't have any luck with shoe insets. Ibroprofen gel helped a lot as well!
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Thanks for all the replies! Yes I'm in the UK, so will get on the GP as soon as I can. I have insoles but I'm wondering if there are prescription ones that will be better for my feet.

Im walking and doing mostly Zumba with the occasional Pilates thrown in with my strength training in the gym. Don't feel the pain when I've been walking for a while, only when I first get up in the morning and when I've rested for a bit.

I've tried Ibuprofen gel with no luck, and I don't really believe in taking Paracetamol or other pain killers for such transient pain.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Have you ever heard of or considered trying acoustic compression therapy?
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    ladipoet wrote: »

First time I heard of it. What is involved?
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Thanks for tip about keeping feet flat instead of toes only on ground. I find myself doing this while charting. Counters to high to sit with feet flat without getting different chair. However I have to reach up at odd angle. But already have back issue sure do not need PF to.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    ladipoet wrote: »

First time I heard of it. What is involved?

Here are a couple of quotes from various websites I found when I googled it to find a definition for you:

# 1:

"Myofascial Acoustic Compression Therapy...is widely used in the treatment of acute and chronic pain in muscles, tendons and joints. MyACT describes the use of acoustic waves to target tissue at varying depths to compress and manipulate tissue resulting in a focused and precise deep tissue massage. The results of the mechanical stimulus delivered by MyACT can lead to increased circulation, range of motion and pain relief – key components in the healing process."

# 2:

"Shockwave therapy is a relatively new treatment option in orthopedic and rehabilitation medicine. The effect of shockwaves was first documented during World War II when the lungs of castaways were noted to be damaged without any superficial evidence of trauma. It was discovered the shockwaves created by depth charges were responsible for the internal injuries. This created a great deal of interest and research into the biological effects of shockwaves on living tissue. The first medical treatment developed from this research was lithotripsy. This allowed focused shockwaves to essentially dissolve kidney stones without surgical intervention. Today, over 98% of all kidney stones are treated with this technology. The use of shockwaves to treat tendon related pain began in the early 1990s.

A clinical shockwave is nothing more than a controlled explosion that creates a sonic pulse, much like an airplane breaking the sound barrier. The primary effect of a shockwave is a direct mechanical force. The exact mechanism by which shockwave therapy acts to treat tendon pathology is not known. The leading explanation is based on the inflammatory healing response. It is felt the shockwaves cause microtrauma to the diseased tendon tissue. This results in inflammation, which allows the body to send healing cells and increase the blood flow to the injured site.

Shockwave Therapy offers a cutting edge treatment for Tendonitis, Bursitis and Fasciitis. It is an FDA approved, noninvasive procedure that can be used to treat Tendonitis, Plantar Fasciitis, Bursitis, Calcific Tendonitis, Rotator Cuff Syndrome, Tennis Elbow and Golf Elbow. Shockwave Therapy is used as an alternative to Physical Therapy and uses a stream of pulsed sound waves to break up old scar tissue and promote blood flow back to the effected area. Many have shown a positive response versus placebo treatment and others have shown no benefit over placebo. No studies have reported any significant side effects when utilized for orthopedic conditions. Contraindications to shockwave therapy include bleeding disorders and pregnancy.

There are two main types of shockwave machines, low and high energy. High-energy treatments are administered in the operating room with regional or general anesthesia. Low-energy treatments are administered in the clinic and do not require anesthesia or injections. Dr. Berry currently uses a low-energy to mid range machine by placing the probe on the area of greatest tenderness and the shockwaves are delivered over 10-20 minutes. Occasionally, patients will relate mild transient discomfort at the treatment site. Patients are usually treated with 3-5 sessions separated by a week. Between treatments, patients are able to perform all normal daily activities. Some patients report immediate pain relief but the healing response usually requires 6-8 weeks."

Hope this information is helpful.
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 90 Member
    Shoes are one of the most important health investments you can make. Really good orthotic shoes fixed my PF. Most brands sold by the Walking Company are good. I like ABEO, Naot, Vionic, Brooks, and Orthoheel.