Big Breakfast...Lose Weight?

beachlvr
beachlvr Posts: 58 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I read somewhere that if you eat a "big healthy" breakfast you are more likely to lose weight.
But what if I know I am going to be having a big lunch.....then what?

so many rules so little time....anyone able to shed some light on my continuous confusion? :smile:

Thanks Bunches1 :flowerforyou:

Replies

• beachlvr
    beachlvr Posts: 58 Member
    I read somewhere that if you eat a "big healthy" breakfast you are more likely to lose weight.
    But what if I know I am going to be having a big lunch.....then what?

so many rules so little time....anyone able to shed some light on my continuous confusion? :smile:

Thanks Bunches1 :flowerforyou:
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    I have a very small breakfast and I am losing weight and I dont eat in the first hour I wake up eeek. I keep hearing that it raises metabolism but I have not seen an actual study on that. If anyone has one I would like to see it. I maintained my weight for years doing just this so idk.

I see all these theorys but when I look at different cultures I see many that are healthier and thinner then us and break a lot of the so called rules lol. I believe the truth is moderation and calories in vs. calories out unless you have a medical situation that requires something else.

What they have found is that some people eat more throughout the day if they don't eat breakfast or have a small breakfast. There is nothing magical about a big breakfast its total calories in and out.

:flowerforyou:
  • You need to eat breakfast every morning. There are a lot of studies that show eating breakfast is associated with better weight control. Breakfast eaters tend to eat fewer calories, less saturated fat and cholesterol and have better overall nutritional status than breakfast skippers.

What is the link? When you skip breakfast, your metabolic rate slows down and your blood sugar drops. As a result, you become hungry and have less energy. This sets you up to impulsively snack in the morning - often on high-fat sweets - or to eat extra servings or bigger portions at lunch or dinner.
    When you eat breakfast, your body feels nourished and satisfied, making you less likely to overeat the rest of the day. Eating breakfast every day may also reduce the risk for obesity and insulin resistance syndrome - an early sign of developing diabetes - by as much as 35 to 50 percent, according to a study presented at a recent American Heart Association conference.

It doesn't have to be a large breakfast. Somewhere around 250-300 calories. Ultimately it is a matter of calories in and out over the entire day. Just make sure you are getting some protein and complex carbs. Some examples could be:

Milk and whole-grain cereal
    Instant oatmeal topped with raisins and milk
    Whole-grain granola topped with fruit and yogurt
    Peanut butter spread on whole-wheat toast or a bagel
    Fruit smoothie made with yogurt
    Cheese and whole-grain crackers

167196.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • abillings9
    abillings9 Posts: 165
    I don't know, I tried upping my breakfast cals, but it ended up being very difficult for me, because then I was stuck eating a smaller dinner at the end of the day. I'm just not wired like that, I have to eat big for dinner (about 400-450 cals). It was not helping me any, so I went back to eating a regular breakfast (between 200-300 cals) and it's been working well for me.
  • ErinD
    ErinD Posts: 14
    I used to never eat breakfast, just coffee and I was on the go... I have noticed a huge change in my eating habits and my day since I have started eating breakfast. Wendywells is right nothing to big some protein and complex carbs. I usually start with Oatmeal (not instant) with berries, my flax seed and a teaspoon of bee pollen and my Greens+. It gives me a boost and starts the day of right. The first couple of weeks I did not notice a difference in my weight but I did notice a difference in my measurements.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    I do understand that the the studies show that breakfast eaters tend to eat less the rest of the day. I have read the studies and see that. However the reason is not that breakfast is special. It seems to be that people who eat breakfast eat better overall.

I am simply asking for a study where they have actually tested the metabolisms.

I am not being argumentative at all. I understand that its hard to convey emotion in typing.I am genuinly curious ok :)

I read lots of studies and I would like to see on where they actually test the metabolisms after breakfast and before and in non breakfast eaters throughout the morning.

I guess I come from a place that is full of many different cultures. I have a french friend who is thin and who maybe only has coffee for breakfast or coffee and toast. He also has late dinners. My brother is thin and does not eat untill noon or 1pm. Throughout the day he has low calories. He also eats late dinners. I have fillipino friends and when I stayed with them they had pancakes and eggs for breakfast but the dinner was white rice and a korean stew very light. They are all thin. So I see many different eating habits but the overall thing I notice consistantly is small servings, mostly homemade foods and not too many processed snacks at all. I never see them snacking in front of the TV at all. They are also all quite active.

I just see so many "rules" but when you pick apart the reasons you see that correlation does not mean causation. You see that there may be other reasons.
  • I eat a good 300-350 calories of breakfast each day. To me, it's important that I eat a good, wholesome meal in the morning right when I wake up so that I have energy and fuel for the entire day. Studies show that people who eat good breakfasts in the morning are more successful with weight loss and tend to feel mentally and physically better.
  • ErinD
    ErinD Posts: 14
    I used to be that person that could go until lunch before I ate and ate late at night, then I turned 30 and things changed...now that I am alot closer to 40 things are changing again my body's metabolism has slowed down. Some people are just damn lucky....or it is in the Genes... hence they never gain weight....

Every single book that I have read on nutrition, fitness and weight loss all mention starting with a decent breakfast.. I have yet to see a study on this and I have read alot on this subject. But everyone is different and you have to do what is right for you.:happy:
This discussion has been closed.