Ordering at a Mexican Restaurant

Options
Hola amigos! I'm heading out to a mexican restaurant tonight for dinner with a friend from out of town. Need to know what the 'best' most calorie smart meals are. Obviously, I should stay away from the fried stuff (and the delicious free chips!), but I don't know much about the other items. It's a typical mexican restaurant so I am assuming we can generalize the food items in this discussion! Your help is so greatly appreciated.

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Fajitas
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you order fajitias without the bread you can do pretty well. Its mostly meat and green peppers that way :)
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Agreed fajitas....I always ask them to hold the shells, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, EVERYTHING except for the meat and veggies!
  • dawnludlum
    Options
    I agree... Fajitas... but be careful they're not too greasy. Maybe ask them to go easy on the oil.
    PS... Skinny Margaritas are kind of a nice alternative to the real thing, too. Good luck! :)
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If it's a chain, they might have nutritional info online?

Otherwise, I agree w/what others have said, fajitas and just eat the meat and the veggies! I would have such a hard time eating Mexi food cuz I don't eat meat
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Most Mexican restaurants will have some sort of grilled chicken dish, and I usually order that. Of course, it will come with rice AND beans but you can finish the chicken before tucking into those. The rice is not soooo bad, but those beans will really get you!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    The menu is a never a problem for me at a Mexican restaurant. The corn chips that I love so very, very much and can't stop eating because they'll happily refill them for me...now that's something I have to slap my wrist for.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are the way to go! For a night like this, I would have had a killer workout (not saying you did or didn't) and eat maybe 1 wrap with them! :) I know..Im so crazy!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I always get grilled chicken, rice and beans. Often called "Pollo Asado" on the menu. It comes with tortillas. Tell them not to bring the tortillas; you'll get your carbs from the rice & beans.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    anything without cheese and pork fat would do just well, I think.
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    There is a mom/pop place by my house that serves this ceviche appetizer. It's a citrusy, diced fresh fish (no breading), peppers, and onions dish. I dump a bunch of salsa on it. The appetizer size is perfect. Since I figure it's low on the calories I'll add in about 10 chips and a skinny margarita. Also, I try to get some time on the treadmill on days I eat out. I'm in Orlando, Fl and this restaurant is called Senor Tequilas (Winter Springs).
  • sittoojo5
    sittoojo5 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Depending on how your day went (calorie and exercise wise) I'm with the fajitas BUT go ahead and have at least one wrap and a spoonfull ONLY of the rice and beans! Don't deny yourself - remember - moderation is the KEY!!
  • SerenaP82
    SerenaP82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you like seafood order the ceviche.
  • nenamty
    Options
    I usually get the grilled chicken with a side of grilled veggies, for your carbs I will get 1-2 tortillas and a side of avocado. Take two spoons of avocado and enjoy your meal in taquitos.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Fajitas!
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    For sides, try to get black beans or beans "a la charra", instead of refried beans. Refried have a lot of extra fat and calories and they're usually topped in lots of yummy cheese.