Help! Breakfast makes me hungry

Options
I read all the time that having a nice big breakfast keeps you from overeating the rest of the day. I have the opposite experience. Everytime I eat breakfast at all (big or small) I'm constantly hungry all day long and end up going way over my calories just to keep from getting dizzy. As long as I wait to eat until at least 3 hours after I wake up, I'm OK. Anybody else have this problem? I would really like to get the hang of this whole breakfast thing.

Replies

• jk_raven
    jk_raven Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I read all the time that having a nice big breakfast keeps you from overeating the rest of the day. I have the opposite experience. Everytime I eat breakfast at all (big or small) I'm constantly hungry all day long and end up going way over my calories just to keep from getting dizzy. As long as I wait to eat until at least 3 hours after I wake up, I'm OK. Anybody else have this problem? I would really like to get the hang of this whole breakfast thing.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    So if you wait 3 hours after waking up then eat breakfast your fine?

I get up at 6am I don't eat breakfast until 8:30-9:00 am- and I feel fine I am full it holds me over for lunch- when lunch time rolls around I am not even hungry or starving but I still eat lunch because I need it-

Try not eating breakfast when you first get up- Im never hungry when I first wake I am always thirsty though.
  • gregoryk
    gregoryk Posts: 10
    Options
    I am not sure what you are eating for breakfast but you may try switching it up. It you are eating a lot of carbs (cerals, fruits) try switching to protiens (eggs, turkey bacon). Also try drinking water with your breakfast. If you are new to eating breakfast maybe you need to just give it a couple of weeks for you body to get us to it.
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Thats a good point actually - i wake up around 6.30 but dont eat untill about 8.30 - 9am.. just my usual routine and im alright throughout the day..:happy:

...apart from the weekends - i eat as soon as i wake up.. and then continue to eat more and more during day!!! :grumble:

Katherine:flowerforyou:
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    It seems strange, but your hunger is actually a GOOD sign.

During the night, your body basically shuts down. When you wake up in the morning and eat breakfast, you are basically telling your body to Wake Up and Burn Some Calories. (that's why breakfast is called break-fast... you are ending your 12-hour fast and telling your body to start using food again.) Your body is a machine, and when you give it fuel, the engine runs like crazy. It's a good thing.

People who don't eat breakfast don't feel hungry because their metabolisms haven't restarted. So, believe it or not, they are burning fewer calories, and are more likely to gain weight. (Even though they eat less!!) Their machines haven't re-started, and they are sitting in the parking lot in a puddle of oil. Not good.

If you are a relatively active person, hunger is always a good sign. It means your body is working, burning calories, and generally being healthy. FEED that machine. You'll stay thinner and happier.

So, to sum up... a bowl of oatmeal and hard boiled egg, plus a mid-morning snack = skinnier and healthier.

A cup of coffee and no food til 2:00 pm = flab and depression.

Enjoy!! (And don't forget... ALWAYS eat when you're hungry. Just make sure you really are hungry, and don't eat too much!) and remember before you eat each meal have a big glass of water!

This was posted by Molsongirl a couple weeks ago in a similar thread. I really liked her response, so I thought I would re-post it here.
  • jk_raven
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. I've tried about every kind of breakfast: sausage & eggs, cereal & fruit, hashbrowns, english muffin, bagel, turkey sandwich... I think I'll try making my breakfast the night before & eating it around 9 @ work. Thanks!
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I've found that protein in the morning helps curb my appetite the rest of the day.
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 66
    Options
    i realise it needs to be developed into a habit before your body accepts it. It took me 2 weeks to adjust it and i notice that i am not even hungry till lunch. I wake up at 6am and do my morning exercise, i usually only eat at 8am. My breakfast usually consist of 2 sausages and an egg... sometimes just an apple. but always with 2 glass of water.
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 66
    Options
    i realise it needs to be developed into a habit before your body accepts it. It took me 2 weeks to adjust it and i notice that i am not even hungry till lunch. I wake up at 6am and do my morning exercise, i usually only eat at 8am. My breakfast usually consist of 2 sausages and an egg... sometimes just an apple. but always with 2 glass of water.
  • jk_raven
    Options

During the night, your body basically shuts down. When you wake up in the morning and eat breakfast, you are basically telling your body to Wake Up and Burn Some Calories. (that's why breakfast is called break-fast... you are ending your 12-hour fast and telling your body to start using food again.) Your body is a machine, and when you give it fuel, the engine runs like crazy. It's a good thing.

People who don't eat breakfast don't feel hungry because their metabolisms haven't restarted. So, believe it or not, they are burning fewer calories, and are more likely to gain weight. (Even though they eat less!!) Their machines haven't re-started, and they are sitting in the parking lot in a puddle of oil. Not good.

If you are a relatively active person, hunger is always a good sign. It means your body is working, burning calories, and generally being healthy. FEED that machine. You'll stay thinner and happier.

So, to sum up... a bowl of oatmeal and hard boiled egg, plus a mid-morning snack = skinnier and healthier.

Enjoy!! (And don't forget... ALWAYS eat when you're hungry. Just make sure you really are hungry, and don't eat too much!) and remember before you eat each meal have a big glass of water!

This was posted by Molsongirl a couple weeks ago in a similar thread. I really liked her response, so I thought I would re-post it here.

Thank you. That's a great post. I'll try the glass of water idea the next time I have to eat breakfast before leaving for work. You don't have to worry about me living on coffee until 2pm though. Just the smell makes me nauseous.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. I've tried about every kind of breakfast: sausage & eggs, cereal & fruit, hashbrowns, english muffin, bagel, turkey sandwich... I think I'll try making my breakfast the night before & eating it around 9 @ work. Thanks!

I have a box of raisin bran in my desk drawer at work and I have a plastic bowl I use there as well I also grab milk from the cafeteria in the hospital which last me 2 days cause I only use half of it- and it works great and is cheaper then me buying breakfast everyday- i also used to keep oatmeal in my drawer-

If I ate right when I got up I would feel sick to my stomach-- Im not offically awake at the time I get up so its around 8:30-9 that I eat which works best for me.
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

This totally happens to me too! Weird isn't it?
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options

I have a box of raisin bran in my desk drawer at work and I have a plastic bowl I use there as well I also grab milk from the cafeteria in the hospital which last me 2 days cause I only use half of it- and it works great and is cheaper then me buying breakfast everyday- i also used to keep oatmeal in my drawer-

If I ate right when I got up I would feel sick to my stomach-- Im not offically awake at the time I get up so its around 8:30-9 that I eat which works best for me.

I know what you mean, if i ate when i woke up before work i feel all sicky in the car - so i just wait until im in the office.. and have a bowl of mini wheats... yum yum

Katherine
  • Kasey42588
    Options

I made a post about this this morning. I actually just bought Special K Protein Plus. It has 10 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber. It tastes like Raisin Bran flakes and I mix mine with granola cereal, unsalted trail mix, or fresh fruit like blueberries and bananas slices. I'll have a glass of orange juice with it. I usually eat breakfast around 7:30-8:00 and it hold me over til about noon. You need to make sure you're getting protein because that's what's going to keep you full for longer. After you eat breakfast, at the first sign of hunger.. have small snack, whether it be a piece of fruit, some baby carrots with light dressing, or a granola/Fiber One bar, anything will help subside the pangs of hunger.
  • CassieNic
    CassieNic Posts: 223
    Options

Thank you. That's a great post. I'll try the glass of water idea the next time I have to eat breakfast before leaving for work. You don't have to worry about me living on coffee until 2pm though. Just the smell makes me nauseous.

just remember too much water at meal time can mess up your tummy. it messes with digestion.
  • CassieNic
    CassieNic Posts: 223
    Options
    i tired kashi go lean, honey almond flax, with all the protein and fiber,for the first time this morning, with a banana. I ate at 5:30 with my husband before he left, and it held me over until 10:30, when my kiddo wanted a snack.

if i wait too long to eat i get cranky, dizzy, and my stomach yells at me. i have to eat soon after waking.