How do I start exercising?

Options
I have been sedentary since the beginning of COVID-19. I mean my steps don't get over 300 or 400 a day. I'm afraid to over do it and lose my motivation. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm 58 years old and at risk of falling.

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    What would you like to do, or achieve by being more active? Can you work towards that? My thought is that doing something you don't enjoy will mean you'll likely stop it again. Alternatively, why not try different things and see if there's something you like.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I was going to make some suggestions, but I can't improve on what Annn said^^
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I started from a very sedentary zero exercise and being very obese. I like exercising to music and got a rebounder (small trampoline). The rebounder provides a super easy way to work your whole body, burn calories with what feels like very little effort. Plus, it improves balance.
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/nasa-the-trampoline-and-you/

I started by marching in place - later to become jogging in place - to just one or two songs. It was weeks before I could make it through three whole songs! 🤣 Find a time of day that makes the best sense to you and some fun way to move. Do it for just 3-6 minutes every day, Once you build up the habit along with a little stamina, it'll hopefully just be another part of your day.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Nor sure I would recommend a rebounder (mini tramp) to someone who describes themself as "at risk of falling". At least not as a first step in improving balance.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Nor sure I would recommend a rebounder (mini tramp) to someone who describes themself as "at risk of falling". At least not as a first step in improving balance.

This is a good cautionary point. At the right point, there are quite a few with a stability bar to hang onto. I've even seen one that had bars on 3 sides. (It looked almost like a walker frame, but with a small trampoline inside.) If one were starting with more like a marching motion, that might be OK.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I am older and have double hip replacements; so a fall is the last thing I want to risk. I also have Meniere's and before taking up rebounding, I would lose my balance often and nearly fall just getting out of bed.
    They make rebounders with a balance bar that one can hold on to. My rebounder is nestled in a corner, so I still put a hand on that getting on and off. We're not talking crazy moves here. I always have one foot on the canvas and the springy nature of the trampoline helps instantly correct for balance. One can even keep both feet on the canvas at all times. Best of all, my overall balance -along with leg and core strength- has improved dramatically since taking up rebounding... and yes, it was my starter exercise choice.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Everything Ann said. Elsewhere I have recommended the YouTube channel SeniorShape with Lauren. She has many options for exercises to do while while seated or lying down. I have a balance problem and often, for her standing or balance videos, hold onto a chair or dresser or wall. Keep in mind that even stretching is exercise; it doesn’t have to be an intense workout. I can’t lift weights or do planks or other “gym”-type activities for medical reasons, but I have a low-tech stationary bike, a yoga mat and blocks and ball, adjustable ankle weights, and a set of 2-pound dumbbells. There are lots of possibilities.

I think about this when I remember how much I hated gym class in K-12. I’m in my early 60s, so when I was in school, the only options were hardcore competitive contact sports or activities that required a lot of endurance and strength. I couldn’t do (and/or was terrible at) any of that, and I now realize it probably helps explain why I hated exercise for so long as an adult. It’s been great to discover there are things I’m capable of, with or without adaptation, and can enjoy.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    If you’re at serious risk of falling can you get a prescription for physio? The anxiety alone of falling would be ebough here to get this. A good physio can show you ways to train your balance and build some muscles for stability.
  • NotGvnUp_EJ
    NotGvnUp_EJ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    One day at a time and literally, out loud if need be, say things to yourself like "I deserve to be healthy and strong"," I can do this" even if it's just a 10 - 15 min activity.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Really good ideas here. You may wish to also consider swimming.