I am Crystal

Options
I’m finding that just because you’re a certain weight that it’s , muscle mass definitely decreases. I relearning healthy eating habits and cardio is not the way to go.

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    It is quite possible to lose muscle mass, as well as fat, while losing body weight, especially for post-menopausal women who are possibly creating too aggressive a calorie deficit and are not engaging in resistance exercise, which helps to mitigate the loss of muscle mass.

Aerobic exercise (cardio) is important for health, but it isn't a requirement to lose weight.

To lose weight, one needs only to create a calorie deficit. That can be created by reducing calorie intake alone (keeping calorie expenditure the same), OR by keeping calorie intake the same and increasing calorie expenditure, OR by increasing both calorie intake and calorie expenditure (as long as calorie expenditure exceeds intake).

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    Hi, Crystal. Welcome to the boards.

I started at 56 and lost 97 pounds, going so low I lost muscle mass in the process- even though I was working out in the gym several times a week, among other workouts- cardio, core, stretching.

I decided to slowly add back about 15 to accomodate muscle. It was long and tedious to add it back but it does happen. Stick with it.

I did not gain clothing size or inches with the gain, which was interesting to me I’m very glad I chose to do it.

Now 61, in maintenance - though probably need a cut after the holiday noshes, lol!

Holler if you need help!