Salad Dressings

Options
I wanted to know your thoughts on Salad Dressings. To me, oil and vinegar are just too bitter. I’ve worked my self down to low fat dressings….such as Newman’s Own Light Honey Mustard. Is it better to make my own if I’m looking for something lower calorie and healthier? I’m down to only using a tablespoon at best.

So should I cut out the dressing…which may turn me off from the salad which I’ve worked so hard to get to (instead of eating French fries) or is it okay to use the Newmans Low fat option? Better yet should I make my own?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Work toward making your own. Take baby steps if you have to, to eventually get there.

A decent extra virgin olive oil and balsamic (or maybe lemon), salt, pepper, garlic power, and oregano; perhaps with a dab of honey and mustard, is the best salad dressing.
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use Kraft - Lite Asian Toasted Sesame Salad Dressing. It is good and I use 2 tablespoons with 3 cups of spinach leaves and some other mixes in there.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Lemon Vinaigrette - Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe

This is one of my favorite salad dressing. I'm always making this vinaigrette for salads because it is so easy to make and so good! Can also be served over cooked asparagus, broccoli, and fresh tomato slices.

Recipe Type: Salad and Salad Dressing, Condiments, Lemons
    Yields: 1/4 cup
    Prep time: 20 min

Ingredients:

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (can use hazelnut or walnut oil)
    2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice*
    1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
    3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped**
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
    Pinch coarsely-ground black pepper

* To make this Lemon Vinaigrette properly, you must use fresh-squeezed lemon juice and not bottled lemon juice.

** Sometimes, I just omit the thyme leaves. Depends on my mood! You could use other herbs of your choice, if desired.

Preparation:

In a jar or bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.

Serve at room temperature. Shake or stir just before serving.

Yields 1/4 cup vinaigrette.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think full fat regular dressings are BEST. Read the ingedients in your dressing and pick an all natural/organic brand.

LOW-FAT means HIGH fuctose corn syrup (body can not process properly) and starch fillers. I use Newman's Own regualr Balsamic Vinegrette and don't find it bitter.

An its only 90 calories for 2 TBSP!! Same goes for Mayonaise....use the real stuff, its made from real stuff!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Use balsamic vinegar. It is very sweet.
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    I use Maple Grove Farms of Vermont sugar free salad dressings, 5 calories per 2 tablespoons.
  • shrinkingtam
    shrinkingtam Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I popped in here hoping to find some ideas myself...I ONLY like salad with ranch or spinach salad with a sweet dressing....if you have tasty recipes, please post! I don't like a strong tart or bitter taste I have experienced in other dressings.

I didn't answer for you....still searching for myself :) I do think that your on the right track and I would not suggest cutting the salad as they provide some great stuff for our bodies.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I always make my own salad dressings because the store bought ones all use canola oil--ick.

Don't be afraid of a healthy oil like olive or avocado oil in a dressing--we need good fats for proper functioning of our body. Better to cut out calories in other areas.

Not a bitter salad dressing:
    2 oz olive oil
    1 oz basalmic vinegar (if I can find fig or raspberry basalmic, I use that)
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    1 tsp honey
    1 crushed clove garlic
    twist of pepper grinder

Shake in a bottle--mustard helps to keep it from separating
    This lasts me for 3-4 salads.
  • ASiters
    ASiters Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just found one made with oil and vinegar that is SOOOO yummy and not bitter at all. It is Kraft and it is basil parmesan vinaigrette. You should definitely try it!
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Actually, I use full fat dressing. I believe that studies show that not as many of the nutrients from the salad are absorbed with the low fat and fat free dressings.

But if you don't want to do that for calories' sake, making your own would probably be a good option! :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I only use one kind of dressing...Hidden Valley Ranch. (I prefer the Bacon Ranch...it has half the carb content.) And none of the low calorie or low fat versions, either. I hate all the other brands of ranch, including restaurants. I bring my own bottle.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I always make my own salad dressings because the store bought ones all use canola oil--ick.

Don't be afraid of a healthy oil like olive or avocado oil in a dressing--we need good fats for proper functioning of our body. Better to cut out calories in other areas.

Not a bitter salad dressing:
    2 oz olive oil
    1 oz basalmic vinegar (if I can find fig or raspberry basalmic, I use that)
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    1 tsp honey
    1 crushed clove garlic
    twist of pepper grinder

Shake in a bottle--mustard helps to keep it from separating
    This lasts me for 3-4 salads.

This is what I do though I don't add the honey. I LOVE raspberry vinegarette - very yummy.

I do always keep a bottle of Marie's Raspberry vinegarette in my fridge just in case, 50 calories per serving (2 tbsp) and all natural. One of the best store bought ones I have found.
  • jellybean1971
    jellybean1971 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    bumping for later so I can try some of these
  • KristieGonzales
    Options
    If you like basalmic dressing, Trader Joe's has a fat free, basalmic for like $1.29 and it's 25 calories for 2 tbs. It is so good....I carry it in my purse at all times :)
  • Gwooh
    Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the quick responses! We are eating salad tonight so I will be use to whip up on of these being that I have all of the stuff in my cabinet.
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Kraft fat free is something like 15 cal for 2 tablespoons & the sugars are not too bad. Not the best, but can't beat 15 calories per serving.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I only use one kind of dressing...Hidden Valley Ranch. (I prefer the Bacon Ranch...it has half the carb content.) And none of the low calorie or low fat versions, either. I hate all the other brands of ranch, including restaurants. I bring my own bottle.

Yes Ma'am, HVR all the way!! Never had Bacon Ranch, though...may have to try it!
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    While I do occasionally enjoy a salad without any dressing, I like to add dressing most of the time. I really like Litehouse Lite Balsamic if you're not looking for a super sweet option. For a sweeter option I love Litehouse Organic Raspberry Lime and Bolthouse Mango Vinagrette. They are about 15-20 calories per tablespoon, low in sugar and fats but really tasty.