Just getting started

Options
It is time for me to get serious about losing 100 lbs. I know it will take time. But is there tips that will help?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Don't be drastic. This will take time, and it needs to be sustainable.

Focus on healthy substitutions and easy choices of what to cut back on or eliminate, e.g. full sugar soft drinks, alcohol, bread and dessert at restaurants, have healthier snacks at home, put the "bad stuff" out of sight hopefully out of mind, or better yet never purchased.

Track your calories. Just doing the above will get you good progress to start, maybe 1-2 pounds per week, especially if you walk more too.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    A few good tips to get started:

• Plan to go slow. If you are trying to lose weight, remember you didn't gain it in a month or a year; take the slow route to help assure success. Then it will be easier to maintain when you reach goal.
    • Don't plan any strategies you aren't willing to continue indefinitely. Only do things that are sustainable in the long run.
    • Plan on having a reasonable calorie deficit, on average, each week. Best if you can manage a small deficit each day, but if you miss a day, don't fret. Just keep going forward. Stick to it.
    • Yeah, that's it's own point: STICK TO IT!
    • Set reasonable but challenging goals. Set long-term and short term goals. What are some specific goals you have set for yourself?
    • Check in often. Don't stress if the scale is up for the day. Look over the long term trend; weight loss is not linear. You'll have up and down days. Over time, if you maintain a deficit, you'll trend down.
    • Exercise is very healthy for fitness. It can contribute to a calorie deficit and aid in weight management. You still must manage your food intake to assure a calorie deficit. Logging your food and your activity in MFP will help you get an idea how to slowly adjust your target for success.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,157 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Welcome!

• CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP family. The thing that made it click for me was solidifying in my mind the “why”. As in why is it important to lose the weight. For me that helped with sustainability. Good luck to you.
  • lillianmevans28
    lillianmevans28 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Baby steps are key don’t worry about the scale that has always been my downfall good luck to you
  • tcastner6411
    tcastner6411 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :) thank you. Your recommendations are so important to me