Exercise

Options
Does anyone have any tips to get more movement in. I work ten hours a day as a teacher. And we sick most of the day. I come home and have my own 5 kids to care for. Not much time for exercise

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Reading this, it sounds like you must get in some physical exercise! To respond to your question, I would suggest a 10 min walk before work, at school just before you leave, and then, after the kids are in bed. It all adds up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Do you have a step tracker? You might be getting plenty of steps. While child care isn't a formal workout, it can add up to a lot of unintentional exercise.

In that case, you just need to focus on strength training.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    There's a thread here with ideas for increasing daily life movement, some of them without adding much extra time pressure:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Maybe some of those would help you, though I'm sure not all would apply.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Can you include your kids in some purposefully play/exercise? Run, bike do bodyweight exercises, etc. with them? Park further away from the door at work and when running errands (even with the kids). As an extra bonus you'll minimize door dings on your vehicle. Good luck.
  • ebrow805
    ebrow805 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're concerned you're not getting enough physical activity with you're employment or at home with the kids. I can relate. What are your average steps per day? Maybe, as others suggested, you are getting the movement but feel as though it's not enough. Just a few ideas...ankle weights for a little time during the day, set weights around the classroom have it act as your "talking stick" but rule is you, the teacher moves it from desk to desk of the speaker. Include the students in helping you reach a certain number of reps of a small weight. For example (I don't know a grade you work with) if over 10 of you can answer these 5 math problems correctly I'll lift the weight at the end of the day..x number of times. Make it more challenging each day or a different exercise.
  • annlopezzz521
    annlopezzz521 Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I totally get the struggle! Try incorporating quick workouts during breaks, like a 5-minute stretch or a brisk walk. Also, check out https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-body/news/betterme-review-this-holistic-wellness-approach-can-change-your-life/ for holistic wellness tips that can be easily integrated into your busy routine
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I also wonder…what are your potential support sources for getting time to yourself? For example, if you wanted to get to a workout class a couple of times a week or get out for a 15-minute walk? I ask this because I know as moms we often put our own needs last. I know I’m always wanting a break but then I hesitate to ask for help because I don’t think anyone will help or I don’t trust anyone else to care for my family. Not sure if it’s an option for you but I do find I get the most out of exercise when I can get away from work/family for a short while. Sometimes I just need that space to clear my mind and focus on a plan.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    There are also stationary pedal machines you can put under your desk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same!
    I work in a hospital 12.5 hour shifts
    I get in about 16-17000 steps a day!
    I haven’t got the energy to even think about exercising when I get home!
    And even on my days off but I do however do a little walk around the shops on my days off…I could be out for a few hours too!

Keep going :) you will get there :) just keep tracking your calories :) xx
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Exercise as you do your normal daily stuff. Squeeze your glutes at stop signs and red lights on the way to and from work. Do calf riases as you stand at the stove and cook. Let lifts as you lean on the sink. Grab each door frame as you walk through and push your body weight like a standing push up.. do it a few times. keep a set of ten pound weights in teh t.v. room and lift them as you watch t.v. with the kids.. do squats holding them during commericals. work it in.. in the time you normally just sit.. stand and walk from room to room...
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Another vote for what @ddsb1111 said. You folks working 10-12hr/day jobs on your feet may not need more activity at all. Figure out your TDEE (several threads on how) and eat at the deficit for the appropriate rate of fat loss for your situation (other threads on that). Good luck and thank you for the important jobs you do!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,207 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    Drink more coffee. Black coffee only. Tea if you prefer, but coffee works great. You WILL get more steps in. Not just from having more nervous energy. Then after noon or so, switch to water. You'll still get in more steps. And as long as you have to go, try to find the most distant relief you can, or at least go to different ones if that's an option.

Take breaks. They say it's really good to stop for five minutes or so every hour. Get up and walk around the building. You'll even be more productive when you get back. This obviously is impossible in some jobs, but if you can manage it, do it.