Falling Over

Options
Today I fell over while running.. it hurt, wait no, it hurts. I was 30 minutes in an had about 100m to go to get to my car, so that's alright.. but I'm wondering what the next step should be.. in particular tomorrow.. should I go for a run again tomorrow or rest for a day or two?
I've iced my knee and put a whopping big band-aid on it because I skinned it good,... my (non-exercising) hubby suggests not doing anything tomorrow with it but I worry that not pressing on would just cause it to hurt even more.
Of course I'll exercise my own judgement, if the advice here was all "just keep running on it" and I woke up tomorrow unable to do anything, I wouldn't, but some guidance would be nice. :)

Replies

• starscreensiren
    starscreensiren Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What I often do when I hurt myself is just walk and listen to my body. I ask myself, am I hurt or injured? If I am hurt and its just soreness I press on. If I am injured I rest. At the very least walking is still good to keep you on track.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Go. Run. But slowly at a nice easy pace. If it hurts, STOP!

Take an anti-inflammatory tonight and tomorrow.
  • Hfxgal
    Options
    I had a fall myself about an hour ago (non work out related) My shins are all bruised up and skinned...hurts like crazy. I landed on my wrists as well and the left one is super swollen and purple. Obviously, I will live because I can still type :-)

I already worked out today, so I think that I may rest up tomorrow....hope you feel better
  • foodluver27
    Options
    I had the privilege of doing the same thing one time during the summer...I was running around my neighborhood (luckily we have sidewalks) but I was trying to adjust my mp3 player and didn't realize the sidewalk was uneven and I tripped and skidded both of my knees. Unfortunately I was about 2 miles from my house but I decided to act like a bad-$%* and run the rest of it (which I did) but I am not going to lie..it hurt! And when I got home my husband had a horrified look on his face because I had dried blood all down my leg..ha ha! Anyway I say go for it...it sounds like a good excuse not to go but then you will just put it off even more.. I say what doesn't kill you...makes you stronger. Especially running through those falls (*not to mention you will feel like a bad-&%# :glasses:
  • foodluver27
    Options
    [Change can be so constant you don't even feel the difference until there is one. It can be so slow that you don't even notice that your life is better or worse, until it is. Or it can just blow you away, make you something different in an instant.]
    I had the privilege of doing the same thing one time during the summer...I was running around my neighborhood (luckily we have sidewalks) but I was trying to adjust my mp3 player and didn't realize the sidewalk was uneven and I tripped and skidded both of my knees. Unfortunately I was about 2 miles from my house but I decided to act like a bad-$%* and run the rest of it (which I did) but I am not going to lie..it hurt! And when I got home my husband had a horrified look on his face because I had dried blood all down my leg..ha ha! Anyway I say go for it...it sounds like a good excuse not to go but then you will just put it off even more.. I say what doesn't kill you...makes you stronger. Especially running through those falls (*not to mention you will feel like a bad-&%# :glasses:
    [/quote]
  • kjtruett
    Options
    Hey NIkki. I think it's important you make sure you don't have an injury that needs healing. If you still have pain in the knee tomorrow you should take it easy. Remember there are other things you can do to exercise without using your knee. If you want to stay active to not set yourself back I would suggest looking up exercises on google to do while the knee heals.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    What I often do when I hurt myself is just walk and listen to my body. I ask myself, am I hurt or injured? If I am hurt and its just soreness I press on. If I am injured I rest. At the very least walking is still good to keep you on track.

Exactly right :D
  • danstvguy
    Options
    Hubby is CORRECT! He's on your side. Stay off the knee for a day or more. Try some yoga or other non-impact workout. Some are much tougher than running.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hmm, all good advice.. obviously a take it as it comes situation. I'll look up some other non-knee-impact exercises and might take myself for a walk rather than a run tomorrow morning. *mutter mutter sigh* Honestly, I expected this, I'm quite uncoordinated and my friends can't work out how I manage to run without doing myself an injury! :ohwell:
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks for yesterday's advice, folks! I took some anti-inflams after posting and then again about 12 hours later before I went to bed, woke up this morning feeling great! My knee is sore to touch where it's bruised and scraped, but it's not sore to move! Not sure if the anti-inflams did it or if it was just not that great of a deal (although I would've thought 90kg coming crashing down on the knees, at speed, would've been a deal - lol) either way, I completed a 4.5km run (bit further than normal) at a quicker pace than usual this morning :D

Cheers! :)