Problem with alcohol

Options
Hi, I’ve been using MFP for some years now but have never belonged to the community. Food is not a problem to me but alcohol is and I would like 2024 to be an alcohol free year but I do need accountability as I don’t seem to be able to kick the habit on my own

Answers

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    the habit of drinking every evening is just that.. a habit. If you can push through three evenings of not drinking.. it is actually easy. I suggest you shake up your normal routine that leads to you pouring a drink. When i want to stop drinking for a while.. i'll work later..so all ihave time for is to eat dinner.. take a long bath and go to bed. Or go for an early evening workout. go home eat.. watch a bit of t.v. and go to sleep.

Interrupting the happy hour or evening drinking pattern.. really helps. good luck
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    @mauricepaul there is a wonderful community group on MFP with people like yourself. You can search for it under Motivation and Support as well.

Good luck! It is called:

LESS Alcohol ~ DECEMBER 2023 ~ One Day at A Time
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I have gained a bunch back by drinking far too much every day. Right this moment, I would LOVE a glass of wine, but I'm drinking some sparkling soda and hoping the craving will pass soon. Stress is a trigger for me to what to drink. 54, female.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @mauricepaul I have the same problem. I'm trying very hard to quit. But I'm afraid to quit cold-turkey. Although I do have a very caring husband that's willing to help.
    On November 28th, 2021, I woke up and was vomiting blood. My husband called an ambulance. I had esophageal varices. I was in the ICU for a few days (hallucinating and in pretty bad shape). And in the hospital for a total of 5-6 days. I did quit for four months and lost 30 lbs without trying.
    This may not be impressive for most people. But in 2022, I was alcohol free for 124 days out of 365. And in 2023, I was AF for 106 days. I fail to have even one day this year.
    I was doing well last summer/fall and beginning to exercise. I'm 66 so it wasn't intense exercise. But I was doing core strengthening and other floor exercises, bodyweight exercises, light dumbbell work, etc.
    Somehow I started drinking daily again. Sometimes more than 750 ml (whiskey mixed with club soda).
    I might check out that group/discussion recommended by @Michieb125.
    @elisa123gal When you pushed through three evenings, had you been drinking heavily? I want to do that same thing. But I'm a bit scared.
    Thanks for listening and Good Luck @mauricepaul
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited April 1
    Options
    Darlene, I don't drink heavy.... but i can get into a routine of having a glass or two of wine with my husband each night. So, i break that and it is nothing to be scared about. If you do drink heavy and it is more difficult and you're scared. Maybe you can talk to someone about that... i'm not saying you're an alcoholic. But there are many organizations where you could get some free feedback, support and strategies to help you meet your goals.
  • ByeByeToDiabetes
    ByeByeToDiabetes Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I drank every night a glass of wine (or two, or a bottle). It helped me to unwind and life seemed to be more fun.
    Then, a few years back, my husband had unexpected surgery and I became his caretaker for about a month during his recovery. The night before he came home from hospital I opened the last bottle and knew I had to stay sober for a while. I had to wake him up during the night and give him his meds and painpills. I had to be alert at all times.
    The first days felt weird but quickly I realized that it wasn't a big deal. I stopped drinking and it never bothered me. It was just a habit.
    Not everybody who drinks every day is an alcoholic.
    I couldn't tell you the date when I quit drinking but even after more than 10 years, I can tell you the date when I quit smoking because giving up cigarettes was a special hell to go through.

A craving is not a command~! Keep that in mind. You are fun without alcohol and you can relax on the treadmill or while walking the dog.

The addict appears when you quit. If you can't stop drinking then you might have a problem. That's just my 2 cents worth.
  • HannahIsHere99
    HannahIsHere99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Maurice, depending on how much and how long you have been drinking you may need to make a tapering plan or speak to your doctor since quitting cold turkey can be deadly. I am also trying to cut down on a path to quitting.