Is my pulse just *too* high?

I am over 16 stone and I live a very sedentary lifestyle however I've noticed that when I move around all of a sudden (for example from sitting to jumping up and rushing into another room to grab something then back again) my pulse is going up to 165 bpm. I'm using a finger oximeter to measure my readings. When resting my pulse is between 76 and 100 depending on how I'm feeling as I am an anxious person. Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Please don't give unhelpful answers like "We aren't doctors" I know that, I'm wondering if others are like me plus I can be a bit of a hypochondriac as I've got health anxiety and I never leave the doctors for something which can be embarrassing and I don't want to feel like a joke to them.

Answers

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Don't mess around with potential heart conditions. Do see a doctor.

My heart rate used to spike due to a treatable condition. I needed medical intervention, and so might you.

And if you're not already seeing a therapist, do start. Untreated anxiety can have a major negative impact on one's quality of life.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,486 Member
    See a doctor, your resting pulse is borderline high:

qbm7attwmp1p.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    being honest . . . both a high resting heart rate and a big jump in heart rate with mild exertion are signs of sub-ideal physical fitness. They're not usually indicators of thriving good health. For most people, they would at minimum be signs that the person is on a path to a health future that isn't as good as it could be. Whether they're dangerous now would need to be evaluated in context of your overall personal health history and family health history, all of which are truly doctor questions.

That said, a resting heart rate as high as 100 can be considered normal in some people . . . but a lower resting heart rate is usually associated with better cardiovascular efficiency and health.

Having been overweight and inactive myself in the past, I suspect that either losing some weight or becoming gradually more active (ideally both) could improve your situation, and give you better odds of future good health. That was certainly the case for me. (Working on those things improved my subjective quality of life dramatically, too, in my case . . . beyond what I ever would've predicted, honestly.)

I hear what you're saying about embarrassment, but I think most doctors would not consider any aspect of your situation a joking matter. Your situation isn't all that unusual in the current population, either.

Nonetheless, each of us responds differently to an individual doctor's personal communication style. If the first doctor you consult doesn't make you feel comfortable, seek out a different doctor if that's possible.
  • 19Sionainn91
    19Sionainn91 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you for your answers so far x I have decided I will go to a doctor ASAP this week. Better to be safe than sorry...I would like to point out though that my resting heart rate is usually very good at 76 to 80 when not anxious. It's only when I'm anxious that my heart rate is 100 on resting because I am panicking x
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    Have you considered getting rid of anything that measures your heartrate if it causes you to panic about it? I mean, getting a check up at a doctor is good to rule out anything else, but also think long-term.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,557 Member
    I am over 16 stone and I live a very sedentary lifestyle however I've noticed that when I move around all of a sudden (for example from sitting to jumping up and rushing into another room to grab something then back again) my pulse is going up to 165 bpm. I'm using a finger oximeter to measure my readings. When resting my pulse is between 76 and 100 depending on how I'm feeling as I am an anxious person. Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Please don't give unhelpful answers like "We aren't doctors" I know that, I'm wondering if others are like me plus I can be a bit of a hypochondriac as I've got health anxiety and I never leave the doctors for something which can be embarrassing and I don't want to feel like a joke to them.
    I’m really pleased you’re going to see a doctor, as they will be able to rule out anything serious and reassure you.

There is something called “white coat syndrome”, and it basically means people see doctors or nurses coming to take their blood pressure and their anxiety makes their blood pressure spike. It’s possible to also make blood pressure / heart rate rise by worrying it will rise. You might find that your concern about your heart rate is what’s causing the spike; ie your brain affecting your body. If your doctor rules out anything physical then you might want to think about some relaxation techniques or CBT. It’s not instantly easy to change the thinking behind anxiety, but the good news is it is definitely possible. Good luck!