maintenance whilst recovering hysterectomy

Options
Hi Ladies, I'm in a bit of a dilema and wondered what you would do in my circumstance. I am have lost 10lbs and I am at my goal weight for the moment, although if I lost a further 7lbs that would be great. currently 5ft 4 and weigh 9st 12lb. My dilema is I'm having a total abominal hysterectomy on monday and when I'm home. hopefully thursday, do I............

go on to maintenance and log all food,

put my loss down to 1lb a week?

bearing in mind there wont be a lot of activity going on....

what would you do, I'm so afraid of putting the 10lbs back on...:)

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Just eat your normal calorie amount (maybe even a little more), and don't worry about dieting until you've had time to heal. This is going to be hard on your body. Dieting can be rough physically and mentally.

I hope your surgery goes well, and wish you all the best.
  • Steph70508
    Options
    My thoughts would be to just go on maintenance and log all foods. I would pay special attention to the types of food I ate ie. up the amounts of fresh fruits and veggies and also protein to encourage healing :) I'm not a nutritionist, but I am a nurse. While a hysterectomy is no walk in the park, I would not think it warrants increasing your calories...oh and don't weigh for at least a week when you come home from the hospital. Keep in mind you will more than likely have extra fluid on board from the IV.
  • AMoore33
    AMoore33 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had a partial (still have the ovaries) performed almost three years ago. You will not get an opportunity for the next few weeks to do much of anything. First and foremost, focus on relaxing and letting your body heal. Eat the same healthy foods and do snacks and treats (and everything else) in moderation. Log your calories and if you gain back a little, its ok. Your body will have been through a dramatic change and will need proper nourishment. When you're healed, resume doing what you're doing now.
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that I dont know about the op as havent been there personally but you
    have done such a great job and you should concentrate on healing!
    if you do you will be back to your normal self alot quicker

but I have not doubts that you will eat your cals healthily and watch what
    your eating so you dont go back up!
    my thoughts are with you

Vicky xxxx