Life

Options
Do you ever feel like you let working out rule your life? For example, would you chose to skip out on a networking event for work in order to get a workout in for the day? I'm curious to see how other people prioritize, and if *sometimes* not working out is justified.

Replies

• NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I do often let it control my life. I think it is appropriate to skip a workout sometimes. But, I feel like I have to keep my momentum going. So, I skip out on things that I probably should be at.
  • lynzyn
    lynzyn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I find that in some cases some people have no lives and spend all their time on how they look and go to the gym like it's church.....Those people have problems with self esteem and maybe even a eating disorder in some cases...

I find that if u maintain a certain lifestyle and skip a workout or two cause u wanna go out to an event, substitute it with a walk to the event or eating lite at the event and working out the next day is fine...All in moderation..Do u really wanna have no life cause u r consumed with your weight?

Are u really going to choose to have "no life" cause u r trying to loose weight? U can still have a life while trying to loose weight there are substitutes out there

Me for example i work out 5 days out of 7 at my home gym if i can't work out one day cause of whatever reason i go for an extra long walk at lunch time, or work out the next day and add a couple things to the routine ect.....I chose not to let my weight stop me from doing what i like to do and if u feel comfortable u shouldn't have to do the same thing.....

But it is how u feel and really think what is good for u, as for myself i substitute one with the other i think of things to do if i have to skip a work out cause i have to go out....the next day workout then clean up the apt a bit ect...Little things do help....
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It needs to be sustainable- which means you can't stop everything else in your life. Sometimes its important to miss the workout and do something else, not just forgiveable. Just so long as it doesn't start turning into excuses not to exercise and you keep a balance in your life.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i turned down overtime tomorrow because i really want to work out. actually, i turned down a couple of hours yesterday too so i could hop into the pool and swim a few laps.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't think working out rules my life, but it sometimes seems that during the week work and working out is all I get done. I don't have networking events in my job, but I do sometimes have to travel to DC for all day meetings but skipping that is not really an option if I want to keep my job. I do make use of the hotel gym if I can, but sometimes it's just not possible if the customer wants to do dinner or something after an all day meeting (oh, I guess that sort of is a networking event). I like my job and would never risk it just to workout. One or two days with no workout won't kill me.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I'm always reluctant to do actual muscle workouts.

Not because i dont want to, dont enjoy it, etc, i do!

But, I've found that DOMS really affects my league badminton, sometimes to the point where i simply cant play! And as i play 3 times a week, it's tricky to fit a workout in, leave time to recover, and still be in shape for my next match :(
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You should be in control of your diet and workout routine, not the other way around. You shouldn't have to shun social situations for fear of messing up your diet or missing a workout. Only when you are consistently screwing up your diet or missing workouts would i re evaluate things
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I've skipped workouts for a family function or one of the countless errands I have to run and sometimes I've skipped going out for working out.

Its all about balance.
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You should be in control of your diet and workout routine, not the other way around. You shouldn't have to shun social situations for fear of messing up your diet or missing a workout. Only when you are consistently screwing up your diet or missing workouts would i re evaluate things

Thanks for sharing this statement! I think it is a fantastic statement and very true in order for a person to make this a lifestyle change, and not just another "diet."
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    Working out is definitely important in my life...that being said I also know its not the end of the world to miss a work out. I look forward to it. Its a stress reliever and I feel so much better (exhausted, but amazing) when I'm done. I can't believe I used to think it was boring and 'took too much time' lol

I just was out side to lend my neighbor my lawn mower and she said my butt and thighs looked smaller!! yay!