Snack Ideas Anyone? Macro ratio Thx!

Options
I have about 200 calories = 23g carbs and 46g protein ratio left in my diet plan’s “budget” for the day. Maybe a gram or two of fat.

Wish this app could suggest food/ recipe ideas based on such ratios (maybe it does and I overlooked it?) so asking here if anyone has ideas thanks so much!!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    That would be a cool feature. Suggested foods to eat based on even calories left would be helpful, I know the discovery recipe section has stuff based on calories alone, this app isn’t macro focused, but with those stats for a snack I’d focus on protein, like a skyr yogurt, or a couple hard boiled eggs with a small fruit serving.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If your goal is weight management, it's all about the calories. If you can also hit your desired macros, that's great. Many folks focus on protein if they are chronically short on that one, but fats are important too, although it's much easier to not go under there.

The great thing is that you can change the amount of a serving of any food to fit your calories! If satiety is a concern, you'll have to figure out what foods work best for you. Otherwise, the world is your oyster. Five raw oysters have just over 200 calories and almost 24 grams of protein. So, maybe a half dozen oysters?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's not essential to hit macros exactly. There's no direct effect on weight loss, and even for nutritional purposes, close to macro goals on average over a day or few - that'll be fine.

If you're stressed about this in the short run, do a web search for "macro cheat sheet" or "what to eat for macros" and look at the images especially. The one below is an example from a random web site (ownyoureating), but I'm not particularly endorsing that site (I know nothing about it). It's all kind of straightforward information; the sites may differ a little, but they'll have a lot of overlap. It's just a guide, not a prescription/proscription.

zxvrk32sj5o5.jpg

In your situation, if it were me, I'd try to stay close to calories, and emphasize protein in the snack. You're much shorter on protein in this situation, and both protein and fats are essential nutrients. But if you just eat whatever fits calories now, and work on making sure your eating patterns get you enough protein on most days, that'll be fine for now, too, IMO. One day is a drop in the ocean.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited January 3 Answer ✓
    Options
    That's actually 300 calories not 200. Just a suggestion but instead of wishing for something to put a recipe together for you with those exact macro's why not just eat a little more food during your regular meal times which eliminates the need to make new recipes or spend the time putting it all together at the end of the day. Plus the idea that a person starts to micromanage their every mouthful can feed or initiate an eating disorder and undue stress. imo :)

Answers

• klinghammersasha
    klinghammersasha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!! Great ideas! I do realize one day of macros being off isn’t make or break. Years ago I worked with a trainer and staying relatively close to same macro ratios throughout the day I kept my blood sugar steadier somehow and I also lost a lot of weight and pretty much maintained it for a long time after.
    Not sure how much the macros had to do with it, but I’m prediabetic and I know this worked for me before and kept my “less healthy” carb cravings in check, so my dietician agreed it would be good to try again along with us monitoring blood sugar throughout the day also. Thanks again!!
  • klinghammersasha
    klinghammersasha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 thanks for such a great reply and for the cheat sheet! That’s awesome. I tend to eat smaller meals and snacks thruout the day because of blood sugar, and busy mom with littles and difficulty maintaining plans/habits in the past that were super plan and buy ahead. The cheat sheet is just what I was looking for thank you again!!