Yoga?

Options
I feel like I've learned a lot about different kinds of exercise since I began this lifestyle change but one thing I don't really understand is yoga. What are the benefits of it? I know it improves flexibility, but again, why does that matter? They are starting some yoga classes at my gym and I kind of want to try it out but does it help anything in regards to weight loss? Any information would be great!

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    bump
  • picturesing
    Options
    Oh I highly recommend it!!!! Give it a try! I've been a Yoga skeptic all my life,,,,but let me tell you...I'm a convert now!
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    i love yoga.. now that i am thicker i find it harder to do so on the position.. but i find it helps with stress and stretch your muscle.. it helps tone you..
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    do p90x yoga
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yoga can torch calories if done correctly and it strengthens your core and helps improve flexibility and balance
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    :smile: what does it mean when a member says "bump"
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    check out yrgfitness.com it's kind of a yoga pilates type combo workout with other aerobic wokouts mixed in, fun as hell been doin it for a while now
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    If you do it right, and do it well, great body sculpting, strength building. They also have weight loss yoga classes (ala Bob Harper) that fall into the kick your *kitten*, burn fat catagory. You would be surprised~
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    The Health Benefits of Yoga
    Yoga has been practiced for more than 5,000 years, and currently, close to 11 million Americans are enjoying its health benefits. Yoga can hardly be called a trend.
    Most Westernized yoga classes focus on learning physical poses, which are called asanas. They also usually include some form of breathing technique and possibly a meditation technique as well. Some yoga classes are designed purely for relaxation. But there are styles of yoga that teach you how to move your body in new ways. Choosing one of these styles offers the greatest health benefits by enabling you to develop your flexibility, strength, and balance.

Recommended Related to Mind, Body, Spirit
    Cultivating Calm
    By Hagar Scher You Don’t Have to Go to a Spa. Here’s How to Achieve Peace of Mind (Plus Health and Happiness) from the Inside Out

Yoga and Flexibility

When some people think of yoga, they imagine having to stretch like a gymnast. That makes them worry that they're too old, unfit, or "tight" to do yoga. The truth is you're never too old to improve flexibility.
    The series of yoga poses called asanas work by safely stretching your muscles. This releases the lactic acid that builds up with muscle use and causes stiffness, tension, pain, and fatigue. In addition, yoga increases the range of motion in joints. It may also increase lubrication in the joints. The outcome is a sense of ease and fluidity throughout your body.
    Yoga stretches not only your muscles but all of the soft tissues of your body. That includes ligaments, tendons, and the fascia sheath that surrounds your muscles. And no matter your level of yoga, you most likely will see benefits in a very short period of time. In one study, participants had up to 35% improvement in flexibility after only eight weeks of yoga. The greatest gains were in shoulder and trunk flexibility.
    Yoga and Strength
    Some styles of yoga, such as ashtanga and power yoga, are more vigorous than others. Practicing one of these styles will help you improve muscle tone.
    But even less vigorous styles of yoga, such as Iyengar or hatha, which focuses on less movement and more precise alignment in poses, can provide strength and endurance benefits.
    Many of the poses, such as downward dog, upward dog, and the plank pose, build upper-body strength. This becomes crucial as people age. The standing poses, especially if you hold them for several long breaths, build strength in your hamstrings, quadriceps, and abdominal muscles. Poses that strengthen the lower back include upward dog and the chair pose. When practiced correctly, nearly all poses build core strength in the deep abdominal muscles.

Yoga Can Help Posture
    With increased flexibility and strength comes better posture. Most standing and sitting poses develop core strength. That's because you're counting on your deep abdominals to support and maintain each pose. With a stronger core, you're more likely to sit and stand "tall." Another benefit of yoga is the increased body awareness. This heightened awareness tells you more quickly when you're slouching or slumping so you can adjust your posture.

(continued)
    Yoga Benefits Breathing
    Because of the deep, mindful breathing that yoga involves, lung capacity often improves. This in turn can improve sports performance and endurance. But yoga typically isn't focused on aerobic fitness the way running or cycling are. Taking an intense power yoga class that gets you breathing hard in a heated room, however, can provide an aerobic benefit.
    Most forms of yoga emphasize deepening and lengthening your breath. This stimulates the relaxation response -- the opposite of the fight-or-flight adrenaline boost of the stress response.
    Yoga Means Less Stress, More Calm
    Even beginners tend to feel less stressed and more relaxed after their first class. Some yoga styles use specific meditation techniques to quiet the constant "mind chatter" that often underlies stress. Other yoga styles depend on deep breathing techniques to focus the mind on the breath. When this happens, the mind calms.
    Among yoga's anti-stress benefits are a host of biochemical responses. For example, there is a decrease in catecholamine’s, the hormones produced by the adrenal glands in response to stress. Lowering levels of hormone neurotransmitters -- dopamine, nor epinephrine, and epinephrine -- creates a feeling of calm. Some research points to a boost in the hormone oxytocin. This is the so-called "trust" and "bonding" hormone that's associated with feeling relaxed and connected to others.
    Yoga, Concentration, and Mood
    Harder to pin down and research scientifically, concentration and the ability to focus mentally are common benefits you'll hear yoga students talk about. The same is true with mood. Nearly every yoga student will tell you they feel happier and more contented after class. Recently, researchers have begun exploring the effects of yoga on depression, a benefit that may result from yoga's boosting oxygen levels to the brain. Yoga is even being studied as an adjunct therapy to relieve symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder.
    Yoga's Benefits the Heart
    Perhaps one of the most studied areas of the health benefits of yoga is its effect on heart disease. Yoga has long been known to lower blood pressure and slow the heart rate. A slower heart rate can benefit people with high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke. Yoga was a key component to the heart disease program designed by Dean Ornish, MD. This was the first program to partly reverse heart disease through lifestyle and diet rather than surgery. On a biochemical level, studies point to a possible anti-oxidant effect of yoga. And yoga has been associated with decreased cholesterol and triglyceride levels as well as a boost in immune system function.
    Yoga's Effects on Other Medical Conditions
    As yoga has become more popular in the West, medical researchers have begun studying the benefits of therapeutic yoga. This is also called integrative yoga therapy or IYT. It's used as an adjunct treatment for specific medical conditions, from clinical depression to heart disease. Yoga benefits other chronic medical conditions, relieving symptoms of asthma, back pain, and arthritis. Most worldwide clinical studies are happening outside of the U.S. But even the NIH has funded clinical trials on yoga and its health benefits for insomnia and multiple sclerosis

(continued)
    Other Benefits of Yoga
    Some studies have suggested that yoga may have a positive effect on learning and memory. Other researchers have been studying whether yoga can slow the aging process, increase a person's sense of self-acceptance, or improve energy levels.
    Some potential benefits of yoga may be hard to study scientifically. For instance, yoga has been said to increase spiritual awareness. Nevertheless, there is an abundance of anecdotal claims for what yoga can do. Go to any yoga studio and listen to students after class. Some will even tell you that yoga can help improve marriages and relationships at work.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weighloss, but I have been doing yoga once a week since mid July and I can tell you that my balance has improved by quite a bit.

it does offer a nice stretch, and it does help with toning.
  • horndave
    Options
    It isnt about just improving flexibility. Let us explore why improving flexibility matters. YOu ability for muscles to recuperate at a faster pace than without. The ability for you to tone to body to your shape that you want. The ability for you to improve your endurance, strength, and increase your personal bests. That is what flexibility does for you.

Yoga improves a lot of things or at least it did for me. Better lung capacity, Improved Flexibility, Improved coordination, Improved strength especially in the core area where you need it the most.

Does that help.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I find it slow and boring at time but I try to inncorperate it in my lifestyle
  • hefinator
    Options
    i've started doing Hot Yoga, and find it amazing!! I'm still a little too chubby to be able to do some of the moves very well, but i find it relaxing, stress releiving, and challenging!! definitely works some muscles I didn't know existed!!
  • SabrinaMc2011
    SabrinaMc2011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me, yoga is not only stress reducing (less cortizone production) but it is also at the center of core strength. I find I have gotten stronger with yoga then I did with boxing, weight training, boot camp, etc. I also feel that a lot of exercises regimes take their core fundamentals. I find that it is not just about flexibility...it's about a state of mind. Hope this is helpful.

:happy:
    Sabrina
  • lorika1977
    lorika1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Good question! I have been wondering the same thing since I started here. Let's see if someone answers this one ...:)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Yoga doesn't really burn that many calories - no matter what kind you do. It has a similar calorie burn as weight training. In fact, there are many poses that have similar weight training exercise: push-ups, lunges, etc.

As far as flexibility goes, you asked why would one want to be flexible? The short answer: so you can tie your own shoes. There are many benefits to flexibility: you are less likely to be injured, your posture will be better, you feel better.

As far as benefits go, you'll have to find that out for yourself.
  • maryzcontrary
    Options
    Lots of people think yoga is for sissies. But it's not! Try to hold a perfect Warrior pose for one minute, or do a side plank without falling over! It burns calories, as your muscles are most certainly engaged. Flexibility is vital as one ages. Those muscles that are not flexible will shrink and contract over time, causing many issues. Balance is also vital. Yoga teaches balance, which requires an engaged and strong core to do well, too. A strong core will help support your organs, and help keep you from falling and breaking a hip when you get older!!! Yoga requires concentration to do well, too. You simply cannot make a grocery list in your head while doing the tree pose!!!

Personally, I LOVE what I have gained from yoga. Longer, smoother muscles, great posture, and fabulous endorphins! I walk taller and my sides look leaner, too.

For a REAL challenge, read about the calorie burn and health benefits of Bikram or Hot Yoga.

I was in class last Thursday and two CrossFit trainers came in to try the class for the first time. They both were surprised to find that it was rather difficult for them! I just smiled to myself, because I already knew that secret.....:)
  • horndave
    Options

Good question! I have been wondering the same thing since I started here. Let's see if someone answers this one ...:)

Putting bump into a message log like that gives the post the ability to be seen by more people and keeps it at the forefront of the post section.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just do it because I feel better afterwards. If things are tight and you don't know how to stretch them out, a yoga teacher probably does.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump means that this person would also like to know the answer to the question asked :) It makes it easier to get to it later. At least that is what I was told :) Hope it helps!

Putting bump into a message log like that gives the post the ability to be seen by more people and keeps it at the forefront of the post section.