Late Night Snacking?

Options
It'll come as no surprise that I'm writing this at 22:35!!!

I have an ongoing battle: The Late Night Munchies!

Now, I personally dont think eating something at this time of night is a bad thing, especially if I've been to the gym and need some protein for my muscles to recover overnight. But on nights like tonight when I've not been to the gym, what type of snack would be good to eat?

Does anyone have any preferred late night snacks that aren't too likely to get converted to fat stores overnight?

Replies

• bigcaddyman
    bigcaddyman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... Try Tuna ... but not the oily version and some fruit!!
  • Esq88
    Esq88 Posts: 54
    Options
    popcorn
  • jamesanchez
    Options
    Cottage Cheese
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I just ate two egg whites and 1/2 tbsp on tomato ketchup and a litre of water.

Random, but did the job. Now i'm off to bed!
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    Usually a glass of skim milk will do the trick for me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Now, I personally dont think eating something at this time of night is a bad thing, especially if I've been to the gym and need some protein for my muscles to recover overnight. But on nights like tonight when I've not been to the gym, what type of snack would be good to eat?

Does anyone have any preferred late night snacks that aren't too likely to get converted to fat stores overnight?

ice cream

what would make certain foods eaten late at night converted to fat, the insulin fairy?
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I make a protein shake--I blend it up with frozen fruit and a tiny bit of water, then blend it with an immersion blender. I make it as thick as frozen yogurt. I love it!!
  • AureliaCotta
    AureliaCotta Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Late night snacking is my downfall too. I'm trying to avoid snacking period but if it does strike I try to stick to lean proteins.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have a fresh veggie tray in the fridge, when I want to snack I grab that.
  • adtrevors
    adtrevors Posts: 21 Member
    Options

ice cream

what would make certain foods eaten late at night converted to fat, the insulin fairy?

well it is the fat storage hormone isn't it ;)

I use to snack A LOT in the evening. Lots of things can trigger this sort of behavior. Stress, low blood sugar, and insufficient protein (lots of research showing the brain can stimulate appetite if it requires more protein, same way it does for regulating glucose levels) are just a few.

Rather than snacking I would try either

1) Make sure you eat a good supper, something with a good amount of protein and good healthy fats that will keep you satiated.

2) if you try #1 and are still hungry, try eating another smaller version of your supper (or something with a similar composition).
  • whisperingdragon
    Options

ice cream

well it is the fat storage hormone isn't it ;)

I use to snack A LOT in the evening. Lots of things can trigger this sort of behavior. Stress, low blood sugar, and insufficient protein (lots of research showing the brain can stimulate appetite if it requires more protein, same way it does for regulating glucose levels) are just a few.

Rather than snacking I would try either

1) Make sure you eat a good supper, something with a good amount of protein and good healthy fats that will keep you satiated.

2) if you try #1 and are still hungry, try eating another smaller version of your supper (or something with a similar composition).

Amen to this Adtrevors. This totally applies to me.