I am new & still hungry

Options
I am new to this. I am on 1200 calories, I'm 5'2", I worked out today, ate all my calories and I'm still hungry, is this just part of dieting or what am I doing wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Protein, my friend. It will drastically help with the hunger. Try in all your protein (and probably more, I haven't seen your food diary) - and ration it out throughout the day too - I try to get 20-25 grams in every 3 or 4 hours and some days I have to work just to get all my calories in because I'm not very hungry. Good luck!
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    We'd need to see what you're eating to give you any real advice!

Welcome though! :drinker:
  • teenio7
    teenio7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are you spacing out your calories, like 5 small meals, or 3 big ones?
  • purplejoecool
    Options
    I just started 2 days ago, and so far I've gone over my calories both days. I think it might just take us a bit to get used to what a good balance is during the day!! Go over if you need to, and just start again tomorrow!
  • adandsar
    adandsar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein? Protein keeps you fuller for longer, and also better for your muscles when you've been to the gym. I try to aim for 100g protein a day, and less carbs, this is challenging, but when I get close to this, I am not hungry.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories too, or just the 1200?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    It was really hard for me to keep my calories down for about the first week (I'm 5'4" and on the 1200 calorie plan as well) but it got easier. I was able to switch up some of my 'old' choices for items that are lower-cal, so I could eat more stuff without eating more calories. More fruits and veggies and more lean protein. They are lower in calories so you get to eat more of them. I also dropped all but 1 diet soda a day (diet is low cal but it also makes me craves sweets) and gave up sweetened beverages since they are just empty calories - I'd much rather eat a snack than have an iced coffee. Coffee doesn't fill me up. :-) Welcome and good luck, it gets easier. It's also great motivation to work out since working out means I get to eat more.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary - so not sure what you ate. Just a few ideas...

Drink lots of water!

Make sure you are eating filling, healthy foods. 1200 calories of junk will not keep you full all day. You can eat that in one fast food trip.

Drink lots of water!

Spread the calories out through the day. (Small 200-300 calories meals.)

Drink lots of water!

And did I mention the water?
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Did you log in your exercise? Although there is disagreement on this site, the program is designed to allow you to add calories based on exercise expenditure. I personally do eat the exercise calories, as I would be too hungry (and grumpy) at just 1200. You might want to try it and see how it works for you. I'm losing slowly, but losing, and that works for me.
  • pvtnick
    pvtnick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It seems like the problem may be more about what you are eating. You need to make sure you are eating filling but healthy foods and take a look at portions of unhealthy foods. There are a lot of things that small portions = huge calories, especially junk food. Sometimes you may have to step back and decide is that extra couple cookies worth it? You don't mention what you are eating but if you are going for stuff like fast food, even salads those calories add up quickly.
    In short,look up what you are eating BEFORE you eat so you can determine healthy portions or whether you are going to save that treat for another day.
  • 4me2day
    4me2day Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know it's uncomfortable but the hunger does go away. A tall glass of warm water helps me. Also if you're working out you may need more cals. Like protein. Those low cal cheese sticks can go anywhere with you, and really satisfy.
  • FitBridget
    FitBridget Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It depends. Are you actually hungry or do you need more water? If you're actually hungry, you'll also feel weak and tired.

I'm also 5'2 and started at 1200 calories. For me, it wasn't enough for my basic needs - I walk a lot and fidget constantly, so I'm not completely sedentary, although I wouldn't qualify as lightly active either. I upped my goal calories to 1300 and feel much better. Most days I eat about 1250. But, if I don't drink enough water I think I'm hungry and want to snack all the time.

Also, pay attention to what types of food you're eating - 1200 calories of junk will leave you hungrier than 1200 calories of healthy nutrient-dense foods.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    And also without checking your log, be sure to drink plenty of water. More than one study has shown that hunger is often just being thirsty.

I also realize that I might be eating al my calories and am hungry, I need to look at what I am eating. It might be a need for protein, or it might just be I am eating too many empty calories. Calories that taste good, but don't provide nutrition.

And, when I get hungry, if I am good, I find something low in calories that I can eat, like fruit or vegetables, and stay away from things that are processed.
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You don't have that many pounds to lose according to your ticker. What are your goal settings? If you are trying to lose 2 pounds a weeks, maybe you should aim for only 1 pound. This will give you more calories.
  • noturninback
    noturninback Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump :wink:
  • Surfcitymom
    Options
    A piece of fruit helps me, and drinking more water. I think its okay to eat, just limit the portions and try to give yourself some time after you eat for your brain to tell your stomach that you are full. I lost three pounds the first week and I went over my calories more than once. Just do the best you can and remember that tomorrow is always a brand new start.
  • mcgiggles07
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, so It looks like I need more protein & water, less time between meals & I may need to make better choices when picking my meals.

I will take on all your advice, and fingers crossed this time next week I will have lost a little bit of weight.

Thanks Again

xx
  • GeekMom17
    Options
    I second water. Drink water when you get hungry.

I try to drink 2 glass of water with every meal.

I snack a lot of fruit and veggies raw, it's not too tasty but, it allows me to eat when I am hungry.

It's also good to spread your meals out. I'm eating 1500 calories a day and try to keep my meals around 350 calories.

You could also try rice it's not too bad for you and it's filling same thing with cous cous.

I have to eat low fat because of having my gallbladder removed but, I will let you know if you eat the recommended amount of fat a day and protein you will not feel as hungry.
  • SandyEdge
    SandyEdge Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I posted a very similar forum article 4 months ago when I started my journey on MFP.
    I had lots of helpful advice on that thread - which can be found here;

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/261889-help-please-low-cal-foods-that-make-you-feel-full?hl=foods+to+feel+full#posts-3460271

Many people have mentioned protein as a good food source that will make you feel full.
    But I would also like to highlight that FIBRE is a great food source that makes you feel full also.
    Refer to http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20410280,00.html

Oh - and did they mention water ?? !!
  • mcgiggles07
    Options
    I have like a 100lbs to lose