Ladies - Did your cravings subside after a hysterectomy?

Options
I know this is an odd question, but someone recently told me that "It is easy for you to avoid junk food because you don't have periods and don't get cravings like I do."

You see, I had a hysterectomy when I was 23. I am 27 now and shed over 100 pounds in the past year-ish. My friend is convinced that, because I don't have a uterus and, although I still have ovaries, they don't function properly (as in, they don't release hormones the way they are supposed to), weight loss was easier for me than for most young(ish) women.

I suppose it's true that I don't really get the hormone-induced cravings that a lot of women get but, like anyone else, of course I get cravings occasionally. Who doesn't (regardless of gender or mentruation)? It's not a matter of whether or not you crave something; it's what you do about that craving - you can binge on junk, ignore the craving until it goes away, find a healthier option to satisfy the craving... honestly, you always have a multitude of choices about what you can do, regardless of how you feel.

I would like to believe that I was able to lose weight because I was determined and put in the work, not because my body didn't "sabotage" me (her words) "like most women's do at that time of month."

That being said, I'm the only woman I know who had a hysterectomy at a young age and then tried to lose weight later on, so I don't really have a basis for comparison. Are there any other uterus-less women of "child bearing age" (silly description, but it's the only one I can think of) out there?

If so, do you think your cravings have diminished since your hysterectomy? Do you have an easier time avoiding temptation because you don't have to deal with "Aunt Flo" every month?

Replies

• Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy when I was 35 (that's 21 yrs ago ;) I could have had children then, easily. I had two young daughters at that time.

My body went into menopause almost immediately.........and I was on hormone therapy for 15 yrs.

I gained weight......not significantly, but little by little (which is common with menopausal life.)

It's ridiculous to think that, because you went through this surgery, you no longer crave certain things. Your pituitary gland is what regulates many of the female systems - this gland is not affected by hysterectomy, and I would still get some symptoms even years after my surgery (swelling of breasts, pimples on my chin, etc.)

It's also ridiculous for anyone to tell you that it was 'easier' for you to lose the weight! I am just now trying to lose the excess that I've gained over the years.......and it's very hard, because after hysterectomy (or menopause), your systems DO slow down!

You should congratulate yourself for your determination and will to lose! You've done GOOD, girl!!!!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I think this whole thing is ridiculous. Blaming your monthly period for over eating or bad food choices is like blaming a gun for killing people. And a hysterectomy has NOTHING to do with diet. Women with hysterectomies are no different from other women. We are NOT lacking female hormones or cells or anything any other women have EXCEPT a uterus, which it seems to me women use nowdays for any poor behavior choices.
    again I say - RIDICULOUS -
    IF we eat right and make good choices WE take the credit - IF we eat poorly and pork up, we blame EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE but ourselves.
    Give me a fkn break
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I kept my ovaries, so I find that I do have cravings and even water retention issues when I ovulate. I certainly can't and won't blame my weight gain on my period, but it has been much easier for me to lose weight since the surgery. In my case it's because I am no longer severely anemic, lethargic and in excruciating pain 2-3 weeks out of the month. My energy is much higher, I'm able to work out all month long and, most important, no "pity eating"!

I do know several women who weren't able to keep their ovaries, and the sudden onset of surgical menopause really wreaked havoc on their metabolism until they were able to get the right doses of hormones. I also know a few who can't take hormones and they are having an especially difficult time. So sometimes it's not enough to resist cravings and eat healthy. When you're metabolism goes from 60 to 0 literally overnight, it can make it extremely difficult to keep weight off, much less lose it, while you're body is adjusting.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Total hysterectomy at 45. Still plenty of cravings :laugh:
  • crazykhloe
    crazykhloe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 5 weeks ago. I've lost weight since and have noticed an extreme decrease in sugar cravings. I do still have my ovaries, although one had a cyst and most of it was removed with the cyst. I was a major sugar addict prior to surgery, but I've noticed things have been too sweet, lately. And, for example, it's taken me two days to eat half a slice of cake. Idk why this is the case, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    I had a total hysterectomy at 74, and believe it or not, I had hot flashes like crazy.
    Nope, I don't think it was easier for you to lose the weight. You still had to do the work. You must be a very hard worker.
    Congratulations on your loss!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    You've lost 100lbs.

I hope your friend someday gets to the headspace where she can celebrate with you instead of being jealous or begrudging.

Don't worry, the next comment you'll hear from someone who didn't know the "YOU from before" is going to be: "well of course YOU can eat *blah* *blah*! Look at you! You don't have to worry about a thing unlike me who has to watch every bite she eats or else it sticks to my bones"

Will you try to explain? Are you going to silently both laugh and cry internally? Are you going to roll your eyes and go "there there dearie, right you are! Not a worry in the world for me: blessed with a fast metabolism and all that would you know!🤪"

Your "friend" should get the same answer 🤪
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Overweight people who stay overweight pretty much always have reasons why they "can't" lose weight, or factors that make it much harder for them than it is for other people (i.e., those who succeed).

Me, I had lots of reasons why I couldn't lose weight: Super active athletically for over a decade but still fat, must have a "slow metabolism". Severely hypothyroid (though properly medicated). In menopause (since age 45, triggered by chemotherapy). History of drugs that list weight gain as a side effect. Being old-ish (at the time, pushing 60). Physical issues like arthritis. Family history of overweight (mother, grandmother).

It was too hard to lose weight, until I truly committed to it. Once the "reasons I couldn't lose" were "factors I needed to work with/around", and I got serious, weight loss was honestly easier than I'd expected. The hard part was truly meaning it when I claimed I wanted to lose.

Now I have conversations with people where they say why they can't lose weight, and they utterly reject that I lost weight in a similar situation, because they are different, and it's insurmountable. As PAV says, now that I've been at a healthy weight long enough (7+ years) that a lot of people have forgotten my past obese self, I do get "you don't have to be careful, you're naturally thin, you can eat anything you want," etc. Yeah? No. It's not burdensome, but it's not automatic, that I stay in a healthy weight range.

Many people are mostly going to have "reasons it's impossible", really strong ones . . . until they firmly commit to change, commit to finding a workable individual path. This is not a criticism. It's just human nature. Sure, some things can make loss harder. What those things are differ for different people, but pretty much everyone has a "hard", if they want to fall back on it as a reason.

That human nature situation is aggravated by popular culture that sells the idea that people need to do some extreme, punitive thing in order to lose weight: Restrictive eating rules, miserably intense exercise, giving up all treat foods, etc. The extreme tactics make weight loss harder, not easier. But excess weight is not a sin we need to expiate by suffering. IMO, figuring out how to make it easier (personalization of tactics) is part of how to make it possible to reach and stay at a healthy weight. One reason it's "too hard" is that we choose to make it harder, y'know?

/rant /curmudgeon
  • Andrea222
    Andrea222 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No. No change in cravings after hysterectomy
  • tamisteffens
    tamisteffens Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had a total hysterectomy at age 30. I do remember before that there were a few days a month when I would have gladly eaten the wallpaper paste. But those few days a month weren't why I was overweight. Also, I'm sure this is not true of everyone, but everyone I've ever known that had a hysterectomy put on weight afterward. Girl, I am so proud of your weight loss! As Pav said, hopefully your friend can get over her jealousy and be proud of you too.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Hysterectomy (uterus only) age 33 and I did notice that the symptoms I had associated with PMS gradually diminished afterwards. Prior to that I could totally relate to the wallpaper paste post... I found myself scrounging the cupboards for anything and everything to fill the void... stale crackers, tubs of frosting, anything. Don't know if that was hormonal or pain-related or due to anemia. Can't speak to weight loss as I've never tried to lose since then but I know I felt better/healthier/more energetic once that uterus was gone.

Women can experience things like menstruation quite differently, particularly if hormonal birth control is involved, it's a mistake to assume that PMS or periods are going to "sabotage" efforts for everyone with a uterus.
  • HeyJT
    HeyJT Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’m a gynecologist. The presence or absence of your uterus has nothing to do with your weight or your cravings. Your uterus makes no hormones at all. You have been misinformed.