Triathlon advice

Options
I'm doing my first mini-tri this weekend and I'm starting to get nervous - can any one who has done a tri before give me any advice on transitioning? or on anything else for a tri :)

Thank you!

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    The best advice? Practice it. Literally just take half an hour to practice transitions until you get a feel for how you would like to do it. Secondly, don't be too nervous--most mini tris are for beginners and everyone is there for a bit of friendly competition. You'll do great!!!
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    drink lot a watera couple days out...remember th ereal victory in the race is that you are in the race...congrats you are a winner
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I did my first one last year... two months after learning to swim. I was freaking out! You will do great just enjoy what you body can do! Good luck!
  • Littliebiatch
    Options
    I did my first Tri in January - Just remember not to panic...... Ensure your equipment is organised. The best advice I can give you is just make sure your feet are totally dry before you start the next phase of your tri..... Like other bloggers have said practice and most of all enjoy the experience. When I did my first try I just wanted to finish, regardless of place - next time I can work on beating my time....... Best feeling in the world is when you can say "I've Done It!
  • skirunman
    Options
    I've done well over 30 Tris including 2 Ironmans and I still get nervous before every race. What helps me is to get in a quick warm up before the race, 10-15 minutes of easy jogging and then leave at least 15 minutes before race time to sit down and visualize how i want the race to go. This not only helps calm my nerves, but also brings my heart rate way down before the race starts. I usually find a quiet place off to the side and visualize how calm I am going to be in the swim and make nice long strokes, etc. as well as take nice big calming breaths. Swimming is by far my worst leg so this really helps me out.

Also, as someone else already said you, need to practice your transitions ahead of time including laying out exactly where everything will be. On a sprint Tri I wouldn't worry about drying off too much. I typically don't even wear socks for such a short run as I typically care more about the time saved then potential for a blister.

Have fun, try to relax, and best of luck!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I've got 5 years of triathlons under my belt, including 5 Half IMs.

Like the others said.... practice, practice, practice.

Put your bike in an easy gear.
    Lay out your helmet on your handlebars, straps out and sunglasses and race belt/ w bib inside your helmet.
    If you wear socks (train without first), put them on beforehand, so they stretch out. Then roll them off like a condom.
    Put EZ laces into your running shoes. Elastic laces save a ton of time instead of traditional laces.
    Dry clothing does NOT go on wet skin easily. If you can, get a tri suit.
    Start hydrating in the first mile of the bike. remember that your workout has been under way for a little while already.
    In the last mile of your bike, stand on your pedals and drop your heels so you stretch the calves. This can help prevent cramping on the run.
  • ChristinaK42
    Options
    great tips, thank you