Why is it consider dishonest for a guy to do the things ladies do to enhance their looks?

project9percent
project9percent Posts: 27 Member
Disclaimer: I am not trying to define a binary gender orientation but for the sake of simplicity I'll be referring to guys and ladies.

For instance ladies wear makeup, dye and style their hair, use body shape enhancers like bras or belts with the express purpose to change their shape (not talking about regular support underwear), might even get plastic surgery, use high heels or stilettos, shaving, tanning, Botox, etc. It is more characteristic for ladies to use kinds of digital picture filters that give them said plastic surgery but in digital form...if a guy were to do all these things he would be consider insecure and not genuine, yes?

I'm not saying that guys never do it, I'm actually saying the opposite, when guys do it they suffer a different kind of stigma than ladies do.

And for the record, I think it's silly to portray yourself in a way that when you show in person people would gasp at the stark difference from your instagram reality to your in person reality. However I never go out of my way to say anything or make them feel bad, just not my cup of it.

Having said all of that I recently used an AI photo enhancer that changed my shirt and the background, my face remained unaltered and I was called a catfish lol this is why I'm asking this question.

Answers

• BriansTrident
    BriansTrident Posts: 483 Member
    edited January 5
    Because you’re a MAN and men have to act MANLY. ERG ERG beat your chest when you walk through a doorway, Act alpha.

It’s your life do whatever makes you happy. If you wanna wear makeup or get a perm, wear a bra or alter your pics then you do you. Life is too short to care what others think about you. If it makes you happy and you’re not hurting anyone then F society. (Not you per say, speaking generally)
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,857 Member
    What did you change the background to? This could definitely be used as catfishy behavior if you used it to lie about yourself or whereabouts. 🤔

Like currently I’m sitting in an office cubicle, but if I change the background to a hospital and my attire to a doctor’s uniform to tell people I’m a doctor, that would be catfishing. 🤔

I am a doctor though. I’d prove it but my photoshop skills are lacking.
  • project9percent
    Because you’re a MAN and men have to act MANLY. ERG ERG beat your chest when you walk through a doorway, Act alpha.

It’s your life do whatever makes you happy. If you wanna wear makeup or get a perm, wear a bra or alter your pics then you do you. Life is too short to care what others think about you. If it makes you happy and you’re not hurting anyone then F society. (Not you per say, speaking generally)

Should I also make primal noises to intimidate the betas LMAO. Your comment made LOL. I agree with you. If you're not harming anyone you do you. Unfortunately we are also social animals and calling on oneself a stigma even if unjustly maybe not be desirable to maximize opportunities, at least that's my take for me and no one else.
  • project9percent
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    What did you change the background to? This could definitely be used as catfishy behavior if you used it to lie about yourself or whereabouts. 🤔

Like currently I’m sitting in an office cubicle, but if I change the background to a hospital and my attire to a doctor’s uniform to tell people I’m a doctor, that would be catfishing. 🤔

I am a doctor though. I’d prove it but my photoshop skills are lacking.

Excellent point. It was like a blurry library background and changed my shirt for a turtle neck sweater. So I guess it implies I'm book smart? idk thanks for your input
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,669 Member
    I know comments are made towards women about filters, botox, surgery. This is not something that is considered ok for everyone. On social media I see women being criticized for doing x,y,z. On dating apps men will say in their profile if you use a filter do not swipe on them. On IG, I read negative comments on ladies posts all the time for lip injections and surgery AND use of filters.
  • Brigit_1
    Brigit_1 Posts: 209 Member
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    Women have types, men have types its sometimes not fair....so be it, life isnt fair.

Yep 💯 agree. Try to be the best you can be and stay in your lane. Ppl don't like to hear it but it's damn good advice.
  • sr2587
    sr2587 Posts: 239 Member
    Brigit_1 wrote: »
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    Women have types, men have types its sometimes not fair....so be it, life isnt fair.

Yep 💯 agree. Try to be the best you can be and stay in your lane. Ppl don't like to hear it but it's damn good advice.
    I agree 💯! What ever happened to the “real world “?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Being in the fitness industry for decades, WOMEN have higher pressures with social acceptance overall, so any way they can be their best, they do. It's totally obvious, especially with Hollywood that young and fresh actresses attain more roles than many actresses past 40 unless they are really good. Aging for females in Hollywood usually mean less roles. And since a lot of our society today is build around fame, fortune, style, how you look, etc., it's easy to see why many females work on enhancing themselves any way they can. Lol, the big thing today IMO, is all these females today trying everything they can to have a nicer bigger butt.
    Men don't have the same issue. Older men get roles all the time and for society, aging men seem "sexy" to many females.
    Females are constantly competing with other females to garner attention of whomever they may want to impress to either have a relationship with, improve their finacial status, and of course NOT be the one that others criticize.
    It's much easier for men to not have to worry about appearances and most men today don't really try to compete against each other for females.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png