Running... Hills... Help!

Options
hey!

I have recently started running outside of my apartment which of course equals more hills than some mountain ranges... (maybe not but still). I can run almost 3 miles straight on flat surfaces or no incline on a treadmill but the second I hit those hills... finishing a mile even isn't fun... Does anyone have any advice on tackling these hills without finding myself fighting to even keep going? Thanks!

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady! :) I would pick a point not far ahead and focus on getting to that, once you get to that pick another point and before you know it you are at the top. Don't try to keep the same pace if you aren't use to running up hills, so go a little slower then regain you speed once you get up it. I like to think of it as like a roller coaster, slowly going up and then flying down the hill (well not flying but it feels awesome once you get up the hill).
    I have no choice to run with hills because this area is nothing but hills. lol
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Enjoy fighting yourself to keep going - that is what makes the achievement worth it.

I have a rule with myself which is "you don't stop on hills". It can be good to take the option of stopping away. It isn't and option. You are only allowed to walk if you feel like it running on flat ground. So quit the self talk on hills there isn't a choice :) Works for me x
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Make a workout specifically incorporating hill repeats. Pick a stretch of 200 yards at 10-20% incline, and run at a nice gait (not sprint) to the end, walk back down, and repeat 3-4 times. Each week add 1 more repeat. This has a ton of other running benefits.
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just keep at them. Obviously you wont be able to run as fast as you do on flat surfaces so go slower and over time your body will get stronger and you will be able to conquer hills. I personally love hill work. Also when you run on the treadmill, set your incline to at least 1-2% because that is more accurate to simulate road running.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    It may sound strange, but I to two things. I look down at my feet if I can't see how much further I have to go I won't whine, :wink: 2. I tell myself I will not be defeated by a hill. I frequently train on very large hills and this always works for me. :)
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    My running coach use to say, short steps, short steps as I ran up a hill and 20 years later I find myself repeating that when I get to a hill that is kicking my butt! I just focus on my steps, one at a time and not the hill. Eventually I look up and i'm at the top!

Enjoy the view!
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    short steps, high knees and move forward onto your toes. lots of arm motion.

Keep your breathing in control and slow down only over the crest of the hill (not just as you hit the top, shortly past it).

Don't look at the top of the hill unless you are feeling strong and want to challenge yourself.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Short steps... looking down... and remember the feeling of the way down... how great it feels... try to capture that feeling... and remember it going up the hill to get you over it!

L
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    slow down and stick with it!

hills are speedwork in disguise - you'll be lightning fast when you get back on the flats
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Totally agree to not look too far ahead!

I do best running hills on trails and dirt roads, where I have to focus on where I put my foot. If I don't see the incline, I don't feel the incline. Much. :wink:
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice and don't worry, I will not let the hills beat me!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Shorten your stride and increase your turnover - similar to gearing down on a bike. Don't look down - that's bad form - keep your body upright as if you were a puppet on strings. Breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth to control your breathing.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options

This is an awesome article!!! Thanks for posting!
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Run short distances at first. Go slow. Even if you're in great shape, there is a good chance that you'll have trouble with hills if you are not used to them. It will take a while to get used to the hills. The pains that you experience after you're done with the run are more likely to be caused by the downhill than the uphill. The good news is that after a few weeks, you'll be far better at running on hills.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Run short distances at first. Go slow. Even if you're in great shape, there is a good chance that you'll have trouble with hills if you are not used to them. It will take a while to get used to the hills. The pains that you experience after you're done with the run are more likely to be caused by the downhill than the uphill. The good news is that after a few weeks, you'll be far better at running on hills.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options

Saving this link for later. Great info there!
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    It may sound strange, but I to two things. I look down at my feet if I can't see how much further I have to go I won't whine, :wink: 2. I tell myself I will not be defeated by a hill. I frequently train on very large hills and this always works for me. :)
    This is what I do. If I look straight ahead and see how much farther I have to go I get discouraged so I just watch my feet. Before I know it I'm at the top and the hill has not defeated me.

You can also take one run a week and make it hill repeats. Then once you do a long run on those hills it won't be as daunting.