Steamed Asparagus?

Options
I'm planning to pick up some fresh asparagus tonight and want to steam it. Anyone know how long I should do that? I have a steamer basket for one of my pots, and that's how I always steam my veggies, I just haven't steamed asparagus yet!

Replies

• LauraK216
    LauraK216 Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm planning to pick up some fresh asparagus tonight and want to steam it. Anyone know how long I should do that? I have a steamer basket for one of my pots, and that's how I always steam my veggies, I just haven't steamed asparagus yet!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I only steam it for about 5 minutes, if that. I like my asparagus a little on the crunchy side.
  • kimmaboo
    kimmaboo Posts: 31
    Options
    i like mine a little crunchy too i would taste it after 5 and see if its to your liking then go longer if needed
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    you can test it with a fork while it's steaming. just kind of stab the stem, and when it starts to soften up, you will feel the difference. depending on how firm you like it, let it keep going till you think it is done. then pull one of them out, let it cool a bit, and sample to make sure. you can always add more time, but if you overdo it, they will be mushy.
  • apeninhand4life
    apeninhand4life Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    well it depends on the amount you are steamin.. on avrerage you should steam for about 8-10 min but just like the comment about likeing it crunchy you should stop it per your tast. i like mine right where crunchy meats soft.. thats around 10 min
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    5 minutes or so - not too long or it gets mushy...and who wants mushy vegetables?
  • LauraK216
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    DO NOT STEAM IT EVER.

you'll destroy the good for you antioxidants and other nutrients in the vegetable...asparagus is a very "tender" vegetable because of it's plant biology and does not react well to steam b/c of it's fibrous stems...

asparagus is best lightly fried in some oil or baked/broiled.

it took around three years to grow your asparagus, don't throw away all that time by steaming it!

i usually throw some almonds in the pan after about five minutes...i like mine a little browned...cooking time depends on your stove, but use just low to medium low heat....

have a good supper!
  • Bercawd
    Bercawd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    till tender with a fork. about 15 minutes.
  • LauraK216
    Options
    5 minutes or so - not too long or it gets mushy...and who wants mushy vegetables?

I hate mushy veggies! However, my daughters prefer them softer! I guess they have to wait until they're old enough to cook to get mushy food!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I grill it instead- on the george foreman- with a TINY bit of olive oil. mmmmmm
  • Venusjems
    Venusjems Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love my asparagus mushy!!! hate it crunchy.. I have a steamer, so no help there for you.. I toss it in the top and add about 2 cups of water and turn it on and wait for the mush to come on!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    i cut off the tougher bottom of each spear into one inch pieces, put them in the water under the steamer basket and let them boil in the water for about 5 minutes before I put the asparagus in the steamer. Then I steam the asparagus for 5-7 minutes depending on how thick they are.:flowerforyou:
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i just had asparagus. I sprayed my foreman with pam and cooked it less than 5 mins. I then wrapped 2 spears per slice of cajun turkey breast....6 baked tostitos with salsa and a few baby carrots...wonderful lunch...