sore muscles

Options
I have really sore muscles rite now, so is it better to wait till their not sore anymore to continue working out or take some ibuprofen and keep working out?

Replies

• BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    that was me last week.. i didn't work the muscle that were super sore.. but i kept moving. and i soaked . pain pills and icy hot.. oh yea it was bad.. but i am gud right now.. that is because i have seen my trainer yet.. so we will see.. feel better
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Me thinks if you need a drug to continue... you probably shouldn't.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I think I remember reading that rest time is as important as exercising.. you need to give your muscles time to heal between working out. It's probably a good idea to stick to some lower-intensity cardio to burn the calories and let your muscles heal before doing strength training.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't specifically work the sore muscles as in weight training, but I think some light cardio like on an elliptical would be OK. It could actually alleviate some soreness, if in fact it is just soreness and not an injury.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There's no easy answer as to whether you should work out when you're sore. It depends on things like how sore you are and how long it's been since you worked out. I'll sometimes have bad delayed onset muscle soreness after lifting weights. A few days later, I'll lift again because the soreness is unlikely to get worse and is unlikely to go away soon. However, you need to make sure that you get enough rest after you exercise so that the muscles can repair themselves. I agree with koosdel: "Me thinks if you need a drug to continue... you probably shouldn't." While ibuprofen is a fine drug for muscle soreness, exercising while on a painkiller may mask the pain enough that you'll cause yourself injury. Additionally, it's my understanding that all the over-the-counter painkillers except Tylenol interfere so some degree in regenerating muscle.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There's no easy answer as to whether you should work out when you're sore. It depends on things like how sore you are and how long it's been since you worked out. I'll sometimes have bad delayed onset muscle soreness after lifting weights. A few days later, I'll lift again because the soreness is unlikely to get worse and is unlikely to go away soon. However, you need to make sure that you get enough rest after you exercise so that the muscles can repair themselves. I agree with koosdel: "Me thinks if you need a drug to continue... you probably shouldn't." While ibuprofen is a fine drug for muscle soreness, exercising while on a painkiller may mask the pain enough that you'll cause yourself injury. Additionally, it's my understanding that all the over-the-counter painkillers except Tylenol interfere so some degree in regenerating muscle.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you are new to lifting then soreness is part of the break in cycle. Lift a day, skip a day. Lift a day, skip a day. Lift a day, skip a day. Three lifting days in a week is plenty when starting out.

There is a difference between soreness and pain. Don't lift when their is pain.

Drink water and consume protein. It will help the recovery process.