Sick and feeling like eating everything in sight!

Options
Maybe this has been answered before, and I apologize if it has been. I searched and couldn't find anything!

To the issue. I'm sick. I've got a cold or something that is just wreaking havoc on my immune system. My head is stuffed to the max, my throat is raw, my nose is running but won't blow anything out, all kinds of aches and pains. Ugh!! Typically when I get sick, I don't eat much because my sense of taste is typically non-existent. However this time, I feel like eating EVERYTHING. Most of the time I am legitimately hungry. I've been pushing fluids like it's my job, and when I get that feeling that I need to eat, I drink two glasses of water to be sure. Like I said, typically, I am legitimately hungry!

Does this happen to anyone else? I feel like a hoover, I'm eating everything in my path!!!

Replies

• TraceyL88
    TraceyL88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I can't figure it out... Ugh can't wait to get better! Hope you feel better soon too! :)
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You may still be detoxing.. from giving up the smokes... Have you done research on that?
  • bellecraic
    bellecraic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    this is exactly how i felt last week, i was soooo sick , jus like the symptoms ure explaining along with a temperature and sweating everytime i moved, it was awful but all i wanted to do was eat, in the end i give up trying to be good as i was torturing myself, i ended up putting on a pound but to be honest i lost it again as soon as i got back on track
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try to eat regularly so that you don't have the need to binge. And, I think that when we are sick, we are so full of self pity that we think we deserve all the comfort food...(ok, maybe that's just me). Feel better!

Maddie :flowerforyou:
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Your body needs nutrition when you are sick. Don't stress out too much, you will only be poorly for a few days hopefully and you can;t restrict too much when you are fighting infection, Just try and make less bad food choices, but eat what you need and get back on track in a few days. Get well soon.
  • kowskey
    kowskey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you're sick, you need the fuel. Eat healthy, easy-to-digest foods, but don't worry about counting calories. This is especially important if you're running a fever (you might be, even if you don't feel as though you are).
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    The title makes it sound like you're pregnant
  • efriling
    efriling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents as a nurse....when we are sick our body's immune system is in survival mode....It's deployed the troops and they are working hard (digging trenches, mobilizing supplies, killing viruses, getting rid of waste) out in your body defending you. Fighting viruses/bacteria is HARD WORK! :yawn: Our bodies are meant to keep themselves in balance, it's hard for us to listen to them over the noise of our own lives sometimes though....but when we are sick, we do need extra calories to help keep our immune system fueled up for the fight. Now, with that said, they still need to be good calories, don't use it as an excuse to eat a lot of junk. I know before I start to get sick, I start craving orange juice, nothing else will do, nothing else will stop the craving....I've learned to listen and it's my body saying "Hey! I need some more Vitamin C over here! There's a nasty cold virus approaching!" So, if you're hungry, it's your body telling you "Hey, we need more fuel, more vitamins, more nutrients to fight the good fight!" :drinker: Also don't feel bad if you skip a day at the gym, you're body is already fighting a war, you may deserve a day or two off the treadmill so the forces can unite, LOL! If you give your body what it needs, it will use it the way it needs to, so you shouldn't really see a gain. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables for those nutrients, low sodium broth or hot tea to help the sore throat & congestion, lean protein as always, and good quality carbs full of fiber to help keep you fuller longer. You know what to do :wink: You just may have to take in a little more while your sick. I hope this helps a little, and I hope you feel better before you know it :flowerforyou:
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Efriling, I just talked to my mother (who is also a nurse) before reading the responses, and that's pretty much exactly what she said! Makes sense to me, for sure!

@Kennie, I know, that's what my husband said! Unfortunately, that's not the case :( Just a case of the snots!

Forgive me, I don't remember who brought up the detoxing from smoking, but I haven't done a load of research or anything. Two months later? I'll definitely be looking into it once I finish here!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to try the BRAT diet for a day or so, see how that works for me. Especially because of how nasty and raw my throat it. Meh, I love fall and winter but I hate the sore throats!
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Sounds exactly like what I went through a couple weeks ago. Cold / flu like symptoms, but instead of losing appetite I wanted to eat constantly. I just gave in and ate whatever I felt like to feel better. I felt bad enough with the symptoms, adding constant hunger was out of the question for me.

I am back on track now though and dont regret it one bit.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    urgh, i feel the same way. i have a cold or something and am absolutely exhausted, and there are a bunch of cookies in the house and i'm having a really hard time not eating the whole package :/
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Your sick...Feed your body! Just don't go crazy about it. When I'm sick I will eat some extra if I feel like it to give my body something to work with in getting better.