Overnight Pumpkin Oats – like pumpkin pie for breakfast!

Options
elzianne
elzianne Posts: 52 Member
This my favorite fall breakfast! Super filling and wonderful for a busy schedule, since you make it the night before :) Be forewarned, it's cold oatmeal, but it's still 100 degrees here in Texas, so I'm just fine with that!

1/2 cup of Quaker Oats (Old Fashioned... don't use quick oats or instant oatmeal! Steel-cut oats will also work tho)
1/2 cup Pure Pumpkin (I use Libby's)
1/2 tbsp Chia Seeds
3/4 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
A little vanilla protein powder ( I use half a scoop of Whole Foods/365's Whey Protein Powder, Natural Vanilla Flavor)
A few pinches of Cinnamon, Ginger, Allspice, & Nutmeg

Then for a topping, pick either: 2 tbsp of Cinnamon & Raisin Granola (I like the crunch it adds!) or 1 tbsp of walnuts and 1 tsp of honey.

Mix the oats, pumpkin, chia seeds, almond milk, protein powder, & spices in a bowl and let it sit covered overnight. The oatmeal will absorb the liquid mixture and become soft. In the morning, just pull it out of the fridge and sprinkle your topping ontop.

This is the nutrition data for the recipe, according to the specific products I use (it will vary, especially depending on what protein powder & granola you use).

338 calories
51g carbs
1g sat. fat
18g protein
8 g sugar
160mg sodium

Replies

• JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good. Just a question though, what the heck are chia seeds? I have never heard of them before.:blushing:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    This sounds tasty and like a nice way to mix up my morning oatmeal - thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try!
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am obsessed with pumpkin
  • lizzyheath09
    lizzyheath09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I make hot pumpkin oatmeal for breakfast all the time. I use lots of cinnamon, a tiny bit of brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. I will definitely have to try using vanilla protein powder. YUM!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm in Florida and it's hot here too, cold oatmeal sounds great. :smile:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good. Just a question though, what the heck are chia seeds? I have never heard of them before.:blushing:
    exactly what you may think they are...from the infamous chia pet. very nutritious. Not sure about delicious though as I have never tried
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    are chia seeds like the cha cha cha chia, cha cha cha chia pet?
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    yum! thanks :D i've recently started doing quaker oatmeal with peanut butter and a banana! one of my mfp friends suggested it...SO good!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    ooh I think I'll try this tomorrow! thank you!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Really bizarre - I've been on a similar kick with maple sugar high fiber oatmeal,almonds, and blueberries. Yours sounds yummy!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I make this too! but add greek yogurt to mine

Choc pumpkin overnight oats topped with cocoa pebbles
    841 cals 123/14/54 C/F/P

2011-09-05%25252014.31.15.jpg
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    exactly what you may think they are...from the infamous chia pet. very nutritious. Not sure about delicious though as I have never tried
    [/quote]
    :laugh:

No joke, I started singing that as soon as I read Chia seeds. I Googled and found this on them....
    http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbaking/chia-seeds/premium.html (Who knew, I never even heard of them before!)
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options

I think I might substitute flax seed. Sounds good though. Maybe would warm it up in the morning.
  • elzianne
    Options
    [/quote]
    :laugh:

No joke, I started singing that as soon as I read Chia seeds. I Googled and found this on them....
    http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbaking/chia-seeds/premium.html (Who knew, I never even heard of them before!)
    [/quote]

Yup. Chia seeds as in chia pets, alright! A friend of mine introduced me to them a few months ago, and I'm obsessed. They're super absorbent, so they act as a great thickener to smoothies or overnight oats. They're also packed with Omega-3, protein, & fiber. They have a slightly nutty flavor, but most of the time, the flavor isn't even strong enough for me to notice.

Oh, and my friends totally tease me for "munching on chia pets."
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • elzianne
    Options
    I make this too! but add greek yogurt to mine

Choc pumpkin overnight oats topped with cocoa pebbles
    841 cals 123/14/54 C/F/P

2011-09-05%25252014.31.15.jpg

That sounds amazing! I am a big fan of chocolate & Greek yogurt.
  • efriling
    efriling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump! :love:
  • hawkermurray
    hawkermurray Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing! Question: would pureed banana would work in the same way as pumpkin? I can see myself wanting this for breakfast every day, and I wonder if there are other flavor combinations to enjoy.