Drinking more water?

Options
I need help drinking more water. I’ve always struggled to drink enough and has even led to ER visits for IV fluids. I just downloaded an app that reminds me hourly to drink water, since my problem is mostly that I don’t get thirsty until I’m already dehydrated. I know drinking water can help you lose weight so I’m trying to stay on top of it! I’m doing my best but any tips would be helpful.

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out results in weight loss. Water can make one feel fuller though so might take away hunger feelings (results may vary)

Something like this may help.

9vdeb29ayrb8.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    Can you add more fluids to your food? Eat soups or stews, lots of fruit and similar things? They give hydration as well.
  • stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Aim to drink 2 glasses of water with every meal. I drink up to 4, but I have diabetes and get really thirsty.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the bathroom, I drink a cup of water. I keep a water bottle next to me at all times. I drink something with every meal, either coffee, tea, or diet soda. When working out, I make sure to drink every 20 minutes or so.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Drinking water doesn’t directly help weigh loss unless it causes you to take in fewer overall calories. People sometimes tend to drink more water than really necessary.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,270 Member
    Options
    The OP stated that she has had to to go to the ER for IV fluids due to dehydration. That's serious!

I agree with the other posters that many people think they need to drink more water than they do, but you @heathermirina_ may not be taking in enough fluids.

I often have a pint of water when I get up to make coffee. That's a good way to start. Gets things flowing so to speak. I drink two large cups of coffee (each one is a bit more than two six-ounce "cups" of coffee). I have no idea why a "cup" of coffee is six ounces when a "cup" is eight. Whatever. So by the time I'm done with coffee, I've had three pints of fluid.

I usually have a water bottle in the car or truck, just in case I need some - I despise buying bottled water for many reasons.

It sounds like your hourly alarm may help a lot. Does that app also have a way you can tell it that you DID drink some fluids? You can track that way, or you can use the water tracker on MFP. But if you already have to turn off the damn alarm, it would be nice to tell it right away that yes, you had xx ounces of water.

Do you live in a very hot climate or exercise intensively?

Take good care of yourself. Drink enough water, but there's no need to be excessive. When you get an IV, it also has electrolytes in it. Do you get enough electrolytes? Sodium is the most important. As you increase your fluid intake, maybe ask your physician if you should also be using electrolytes.

Stay safe!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i don't wait to get thirsty before i drink. if you don't like drinking water, perhaps fizzy minteral water would be more your speed? i find it easier to drink and more comfortable to my tummy, and i like the way some waters taste. or how about flavored water enhancers? most have no sugar or calories.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Make it as convenient as possible to drink - have a water bottle with you all the time. Please be sure to properly clean it routinely as well.

I use the squeezable Crystal Light to add to my water.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,531 Member
    Options
    Leave an 8 ounce glass on your kitchen counter. Everytime you go in, you drink a glass of water. This will also help you monitor how many times you're in the kitchen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yirara
    Options
    Do you work a desk job? Get a big mug that you love and make sure there's always tea of any type that you like inside: mint, fruit infusion, green tea, doesn't matter. At least for me drinking something warm is much easier than something cold, and without thinking about it I always grab the mug and drink.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I get my water in in the evenings however it contains formented grapes.
  • yirara
    Options
    I get my water in in the evenings however it contains formented grapes.

That's the best water!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Get a workout in too, with an 18.7 pound mug like this. (I wish I had known of this before their limited run ran out, I'd have been all over it.)

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Feleiko.fra1.digitaloceanspaces.com%2Fcms-prod%2F7bd4f5cfc42c84580a19a7d6673565b1.png&w=1920&q=75
  • rachelhope611
    rachelhope611 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make it easy and attach it to other habits. For me personally, I have to have a straw; I will carry a bottle around all day and not drink it but if I have a mug with a straw, I’ll chug water all day. I also make it a habit to always have my mug in my hand. When I get up to go from one area to another in the office, I take my phone and my water with me. If it’s in my hand, I’ll drink it!