Ok... need help finding a birthday gift for a 6 year old gir

Options
So, it's a little obvious that I don't have children, otherwise, I would be "cool" and up to date on all the neat things that are going on with kids toys and tv shows. My little neighbor girl will be celebrating her birthday this weekend, and I want to find a gift for her, but I don't know what 6 year old girls like!

A few things you should know about her:
-VERY advanced in school. She's home schooled, and is reading at a 3rd grade level and doing 3rd grade science projects.
-has almost every Barbie under the sun
-loves "international" toys, like the Playmobil brand.... but I don't have that much money to spend on those kind of toys.
-even though she's extremely smart, she's also a girly girl who loves Disney Princesses, and Build a Bear.

Her parents always say to not worry about a gift, since the grandparents always go overboard,... but I love this little girl (and her 4 year old sister) like they're my nieces. Would it be tacky of me to get a gift certificate to the Build a Bear Shop and let her do her own Bear? What all would you guys suggest? For her sister's birthday, I got her one of her favorite things in the world: Food. lol I got an Edible Arrangement that came with a Disney Princess Tiara and a bucket that she called her "basket" and would collect flowers, aka, weeds, in it. But her favorite part was the chocolate covered strawberries, and she couldn't have been happier. I just can't figure out, for the life of me, what to get this 6 year old girl! LOL!

Thanks in advance, everyone!!!

Replies

• alexmommy
    alexmommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Build a Bear would be a great idea! I would suggest though, instead of a gift certificate take her to the mall and make it with her! You'll both have a great time that way, and get to give her birthday spoilings! :)
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My daughter loved the canopy/tent http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=&taxonomy=dep1&searchtype=guidedNav&additionalKeywords=canopy&KID=100012847153525622&CID=209782 we got for her. I attached the link where you can get a picture and if you have time order one for less than 20$:)
  • hefinator
    Options
    Easy-Bake Oven! i just bought it for my 5 year old niece, and she's in love with it!!! also, any disney doll would be good. If she likes animals, my baby sister (there is 16 years between us!) loves the Littles Petshop toys.
  • chollingshed74
    chollingshed74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    6years old...get her a "hula hoop".............sounds simple...yes it is.....but girls just wanna have fun....those hula hoops or batons are the best
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    My little one is six almost seven and she absolutely loves the miniatures of all the princesses, tiaras, everything.

Not sure what the miniatures bring for her, but she prefers them to the big gaudy toys, any day!!

Best of luck!!
  • Ck228
    Ck228 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Build a Bear great ideal. I like the suggestion of taking her to do it also.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I personally think the build a bear certificate would be fabulous, but might be something you want to check with her Mom about - since either her mom or you would have to take her there. I used to think gift certificates were impersonal, but kids rarely have their own funds to shop with, and well, it's an activity as well, so that would be great and she'll have it forever!

I think at that age, there might also be stuff like the make your own jewelry kits, etc..that she might enjoy and can share with her friends. My friend's 7 year old daughter was very much into creating her own fashion of any sort, so something related to that might go over well. Or a "not too expensive" electronic gift like an MP3 player (if parents approve) or her own little digital camera or movie maker (i have no idea on cost of those nowadays, they used to be reasonable, though i suppose you got what you paid for).

If she likes movies, 1 four pack of movie tickets for the family would be nice, stuffed in a popcorn bucket with some candy to take along - i find that to be a pretty decent and inexpensive "go to" gift.

Or perhaps you can invest in a cool barbie accessory, or a collectible doll she might enjoy, or outfits for her existing dolls if she loves them. (sometimes i go old school and get the kids something in their genre that is now outdated, like an older disney princess doll or my little ponies, etc.).
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    'Tis the season to for costumes!

One of the coolest little girl gifts I've ever seen was a bunch of princess/fairy type costumes with some little dress up shoes, plastic jewelry and frilly hair accessories. The only thing better than playing dress up with your little girl friends is playing dress up with all the best stuff.
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It sounded like you just described my niece. I buy her artsy thing she can do herself from Michael's because she loves crafts and using her imagination. Her last birthday she turned 7 and I bought her a set of 3 ceramic build a bears that she got to paint and decorate on her own, she even gave me one "so we can remember each other". :smooched:
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Oh definately the build a bear stuff!!! If shes home schooled its guaranteed she'll get educational stuff from family and stuff but I would defo do the trip out to build a bear and something to eat after! Make it a memory not just a present, memories last longer :) x
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Take her to Build a Bear or to one of those pottery places where she can paint her own pottery. My daughter loves anything where she gets to be center of attention, I think all girls like that. :)

We did the EZ bake oven, yea no thank you - I just have her help me in the kitchen. We couldn't find a 100 watt lightbulb to save our souls, so her little EZ bake has never been used! How crazy is that? UGH!!!

I've found when I keep it simple, those are the gifts my kids love the most.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I bet she would love you forever, if you gave her a high powered rifle.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I bet she would love you forever, if you gave her a high powered rifle.

LOL Maybe not. She's already ripped me a new one for not liking snakes. And she's proceeded to tell me every single plus side to having a snake. (And it was very shocking how convincing she was!)

However, her mommy and daddy.... yeah,.. they MIGHT not like the rifle idea :) LOL
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Easy bake oven!!! Best toy ever :smile:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    My littlest petshop, barbie
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    The girls already have an easy bake oven, and they said that it's not "high powered" enough :) LOL So, they help make real cupcakes and cakes.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to think I'm crazy, but playdoh! I have two daughters. My oldest is 12 and the youngest is 9. They play together. Given she has a younger sister, this is something they could do together. My youngest has always been very advanced for her age as well and the playdoh brings out her creativity, which sometimes gets lost with all the intelligence. And yes, at 9 and 12, they both still play with playdoh!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    If she likes movies, 1 four pack of movie tickets for the family would be nice, stuffed in a popcorn bucket with some candy to take along - i find that to be a pretty decent and inexpensive "go to" gift.

^^^^^THIS.....I did this for my niece and nephew ages 6 and 7 and they loved it!! The Build A Bear gift certificate is a good idea but can get pretty spendy! My daughter is 6 and loves to play board games....but all kids are different! A little craft kit is great for girls this age....like bracelet or ring making sets! This is a fun age!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I need to mention that Build-A-Bear is *very* expensive. Believe me, the gift cert won't cover the cost of the bear, and the parent will end up bearing (pun intended!) the rest of the cost. Been there, done that.

I have a 9 year old daughter who goes to a lot of parties. I get all my gifts at an arts & crafts store. Michael's, AC Moore, etc. There are really good gifts for creative young ladies. She liked those chocolate-covered strawberries? Get her a kit to make her own! A kit and some strawberries (and bananas and whatever!). I guarantee: she'll love it and remember it.

There are crafts for coloring, painting. Sand art. Clay. Beading and jewelry making, every little girl loves beads. Weaving. The possibilities are endless.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    go over to the Dollar Tree, pick up a princess set - tiara and septer - a pair of princess shoes and a costume skirt.

your cost $3. her enjoyment - OMG SHE WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER!! i do this for all girls until they're like 9. they think i rock.

the other idea - also Dollar Tree - jump rope. my one cousin has So Much Energy and i gave her a jump rope and she thought i was the best adult in the world.

at that age, cheap, shiny and easily broken is Just Fine.