I still live at home..ugh.

Options
I'm 23, I have a brother who's 17 and never home (either am I) so technically it's just her and my dad every night my mom feels the need to make dinner-even though I've told her numerous time's that I will make my own-so I can control what goes in and out of my body-but tonight I'm on my way home from work and she was like oh were having blt's and corn for dinner..and bacon is only 90 calories for 2 pieces-and I'm like no mom, I've been working to hard to do that-well she get's angry and hangs up the phone-and the whole entire half hour drive home-I kept thinking I'm not doing anything wrong,and I don't think I am -I love my parents-and I think my mom still just feels the need to cook is because were home-I'm perfectly capable of doing everything myself-she even had the lap-band so she can't eat that much-it just makes me super angry..that she still expects it..I don't know.

Replies

• shesblossoming
    Options
    My mom is the complete opposite. If I eat any of her food, she makes me pay for it and then says not to touch her food again. She's just really weird. I'm not exactly sure where your mom is coming from but sitting her down and letting her know what you're trying to do can be really helpful. If she doesn't get it... then all you can do is keep on explaining it and continue to make your own food. My family makes terrible food decisions, but I continue to eat right despite all of the evil food they have in the house. Hang in there.
  • SavannaN
    Options
    why dont you sit down with her and plan the meals together. That way she still gets to cook and you have a say so with what you eat..
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sitting down with her to meal-plan together?? I'm a mom, and I like to cook for my family because it makes me feel like I can do something that will make them happy..... If you spend time with her to pick out meals you can eat, maybe she will enjoy having that time with you and being able to do something for you.

I think I am rambling, I'm pretty tired. Hope that made sense! :)
  • Zen_Master_B
    Options
    I feel ya, I live at home too (not something I am proud of) and my mom will make food and then I won't touch it and she will be mad and say "oh, your too good for my food now". I admit that her cooking is terrible anyways(sorry, mom).

If you tell her enough she should come around, she just needs to come to grips with the fact your being responsible for your body and that this is a good thing, not that you don't appreciate her hospitality or don't like her food (which she might be thinking, if she is anything like my mom).
  • Jayra
    Jayra Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to have a chat to your mum about your goals and what you want. You could go through some of her recipes with her and discuss ways that they could be healthier (ie cook with lean ham instead of bacon... or have some ham cooked for you while everyone else has bacon...). You could also offer to cook for her (just a meal here and there) to show her some of your healthier recipes (could always say you need the experience learning to cook if she always does the cooking!). She maybe just trying to show that she loves you through cooking... I know my mum does that. Just talk to her, and don't be defensive otherwise the discussion wont go well.
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I totally get where your coming from! My mom, who is obese but refuses to see it, will eat donuts for breakfast, get fast food for lunch and eat junk for dinner. She sees no reason to go to the gym and I cant even get her to go for a walk. Seeing my Dad died from kidney failure related to his diabetes, you would think she would know better.

Everytime I see her she accuses me of being anorexic and tells me I need to eat (Im still 20lbs overweight). She is convinced that because I'm over 30 and have had two kids I should resemble a umpa loompa!!! You arent doing anything wrong, your just taking control of your own life. They do love us they just have a funny way of showing it! :laugh:
  • allyjstone
    allyjstone Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It's usually the food she cooks-is horrible!! because were from Iowa--basically steak and potatoes---every single night--and she always tells me it's not bad if it's in portions-but i always tell her i can't stop myself from eating if that is in front of me--she can because she has the lap band-blah.