gym anxiety!

Options
sooo, i've never really been to a gym before. Sort of walked into one, felt overwhelmed by everything, and that's really it. I've been running a lot outside.The weather where i live is going downhill fast and it's going to require me to start using the campus gym (avoided because it costs us money..wtf hah). I'm scared of the gym, especially on a college campus with like super jacked guys and teeny sorority girls (sorry if I offend or stereotype anyone there..). But I have to go tomorrow and probably for the rest of the week..and probably a lot the rest of the semester to stay in shape. It's so intimidating to me though! I don't even know how to like use this stuff! Or what gym etiquette is. Can someone maybe give me some tips on how to handle it/what I'm supposed to do and stuff in terms of like sanitation and where I put my stuff and everything? Thanks so much :)

Replies

• fosterr8
    Options
    Maybe I can help a bit.

I live on campus and use my campus gym somewhere between 3-5 times per week. I am always self conscious to go into the weight lifting area because that is where all the guys are and I am pretty weak in my arms. So I stick to the cardio machines. Elliptical, treadmill, bike. This way I am on a machine for a longer period of time and don't have to move from weight machine to weight machine awkwardly. I have 5 lbs free weights in my dorm room for this reason.

As for where you put your stuff, I am assuming the gym has a locker room. Bring your own lock and change in there. Bring only your waterbottle, small towel (for sweat) and ipod to the actual equipment. I normally feel awkward if I am just wandering around so I go straight to the machine, workout and then head back to the change room.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: As for gym sanitation, my particular campus gym has cloths and some sort of chemical you pour onto them. Then I just wipe down my machine. Some gyms have moist towels though. Just keep an eye on what everyone else is doing and follow :)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to this. Before I started going to the gym, the thought of it terrified me! I, like you, started at my campus gym, which had recently been renovated and so attracted a healthy number of the varsity athlete types... SCARY, right??? Except, once you get used to it, I promise it stops being scary.

My strategy was this: I got a guy friend who was familiar with the gym to take me around and show me where everything was, and how to use some of the machines that I was unfamiliar with. No one blinked twice at us, even though at the time I was definitely fat and out of shape! And even the guy friend that came with me was carrying a few extra pounds.

Honestly, people are truly more into looking at themselves - either because they are keep an eye on their form, or they are self-conscious, or because they're vain! :)

I should also add that I basically only use the gym for my strength training and weight lifting. I run either outside or at my apartment's cardio room. So I'm basically in the free weight area with the buff dudes all the time, hehe. And you know what? I'm totally comfortable with that, now. There are still times, when I'm trying a new exercise or using a new machine, when I'm paranoid and anxious still... but to ease that anxiety I look up demos on youtube and other websites to help me get familiar with what I'm going to do before I even do it.

Another strategy would be to talk to the staff at the gym. Campus gyms will often have orientation sessions, or will have a staff member on hand to show you around. There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about if you ask a staff member to give you a tour!! After all, everyone had their first time at one point, right?

Good luck, and in no time, you're going to look like one of those girls who's totally at home there! :D
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Oh, and gym etiquette! Right! Once you are done with a machine, wipe it down. Most gyms will provide a spray bottle and some cloths or paper towels to wipe things down with. If you can't find them, ask a staff member or even just someone else using the machines - they can probably direct you.

If you are using a weight machine/equipment and are done a set, and someone else wants to use the same machine/equipment, it's usually polite to let them 'work in' - so they do a set while you are resting, then you take your next set when they are resting. That way you both get to use it.

Always put your weights back on the rack and/or remove the plates from your barbell.

If there are treadmills/bikes/ellipticals in high demand, some gyms will have a "sign-up" sheet for them posted nearby where you can write your name and the time you want the machine. Try to glance at that to make sure you aren't taking someone's machine, and if you write your name down, be sure to be there 2 or 3 minutes earlier than your written time so you can snag it.

Can't really think of anything else!
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous, true there aren't a lot of women in the weight room, but that doesn't mean you can't be one. You can always ask the gym staff how to use certain equipment. I'll admit I do notice women in the weight room, but I'm not watching or really paying attention. I'm there to workout and get out. My gym devotes an hour in the morning for women to workout in a structured environment. They let people now that machines may be unavailable for that hour. Great idea to get women into the wright room. Good luck and I hope you get over your nervousness and hit the weights.
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I walk right in there and DARE someone to make a comment, or give me a look...

If they do.. (its rare, but it does happen)

I look them right in the face, and say

I used to let people like you effect me.... I no longer give a DAMN what you think... I'm doing this for ME!

then get back to the more important things at hand!!!!
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Is there staff at your gym? If there is, ask them to show you around and show you how to use the equipment correctly - thats their job.
    As for the types of people who use the gym....gosh this stereotype gets banged out a lot doesnt it? Who cares who else is in the gym?? Who cares if they are smaller than you or more muscley than you or fitter than you? Are you going to the gym for them or for yourself?
    There will always be someone fitter in the gym, thats just how the world works unless you are an elite athlete.
    Take a deep breath and put it out of your mind. Focus on why you are going in the first place. Picture yourself using the equipment and feeling great after a work out.
    They are just people too, and probably they felt exactly like you are on their first visit to the gym too.
  • techymum
    Options
    I have learned, honestly, that most everyone in a gym is there for a reason, themselves. But it IS scarey to go in the first time, that I know as I just started at a gym a few weeks ago. Go for it!

And also, I have found that the strength training has really helped my running - my legs are already stronger!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I used my campus gym most days of the week, and I've also had a gym membership at home for two years now. The best thing to do is have a staff member or personal trainer show you around a bit. Our campus gym had free personal training sessions with the students who were working on getting their PT certification!

Also, swallowing your fear of the weight room has a ton of benefits. The guys don't care that you're there, you'll be getting the workout that you want, and you might even make friends! I made tons of friends in the weight room since I was there really often during college...both with the guys who were on the same workout schedule as me, and with the few other girls who were also brave enough to venture in!

I find my home gym (Gold's) to be much, much scarier though, because there are some seriously huge men working out, most of whom are much older than me. I find the campus gym to be a much less intimidating environment since everyone is the same age!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honey, let me tell you.. not all sorority girls are teeny(my self as prime example!) and it's been engrained in our head that we must look good 24/7 and never have an off day.. so don't let us intimidate you at all.. we're nice.. I promise :)

As far as gym ettique, don't hog the cardio machines and if you don't know how to work something, then ask. Also, make sure to wipe down the machine after you are done.

As far as what to bring: a water bottle, a towel and an Ipod and you'll be good to go :)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I do go to the weight room and I don't care who is looking and what they are thinking. I put my headphones on and just do what I'm there to do. Everyone was new in the gym at one point! You can do it!